PDA

View Full Version : Should low content threads be banned?

Gav
-10th June 2003, 16:48
Well it says it all in the subject line really. Despite having taken part in the worst offender (word association) I think that after a certain length of time this should be shut down and the poor addicts allowed to resume their normal lives...

Muso440
-10th June 2003, 18:24
Hey, I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't have a life! I thought I might be there.

Gav: if people get bored of them they dont' have to click on them.

haggis
-10th June 2003, 19:46
Yeah but it can get pretty wearing when you click on a thread that sounds interesting and has had lots of replies only to find that it's turned into the "Moose, Hudson and Aoife show". Fascinating in a way but hardly fencing-related. Shut a few of those threads down and maybe threads will stay on-topic more and the Chit-Chat section can fulfil its function properly. I'm guilty of wandering off-thread myself (at least until slapped down by Reposte) but it does seem to be getting out of control.

Haggis
(removing his sanctimonious hat)

Aoife
-10th June 2003, 20:33
Hey! I try to keep them on topic, or at least try to return to topic after a few pages of random nonsense!

Just nobody listens to me :upset:

Muso440
-11th June 2003, 08:24
Originally posted by haggis
Yeah but it can get pretty wearing when you click on a thread that sounds interesting and has had lots of replies only to find that it's turned into the "Moose, Hudson and Aoife show".

Know what you mean, I've had that experience too, but I've just worked out what those threads are now and avoid them (sorry, M, H and A, you're just not interesting enough ;) ;) )

kingkenny
-11th June 2003, 09:05
When I get back from the states I will go through ad wipe any post that is general chit chat and not fencing related or related to the original post ;)

Hudson
-11th June 2003, 09:10
<note to self must get threads back on topic before KK comes home> :eek:

kingkenny
-11th June 2003, 11:22
Not e to self look out for hudson he tries to make you post off topic in cunning ways. Like this ahhhhhhhhhhhh HUDSON.
:tongue:

oiuyt
-11th June 2003, 15:56
Shutting down a thread just because it drifts is a) fuitile, b) pointless. Let the threads drift. Rather than closing threads, give the perpetrators (M, H, and A primarily) a Stern Talking To. The random and frequently meaningless (or close to it) direction that nearly every thread ends up taking is a large part of the current flavor (sorry, flavour) of the board. Getting into a thread-locking battle is stupid, if you don't want it to happen then talk to the people who do it and treat the cause rather than the symptom. If you want to leave people free to post whatever, then don't take action either way.

KK- They can probably generate chit-chat posts faster than you can wipe them, they have you outnumbered. :)

-B :)

PM1
-11th June 2003, 23:50
Quote " Chit chat - if you're tired of fencing talk, this is the place to be" - isn't this where all the random splutter should be??? I'm in favour of the odd rambling, especially late at night/early morning. Some of us have lives outside fencing, and fencing chatter does sometimes raise nonsense - why can't the two thing co-exist?? someone can always bring it back on topic. OR, the great Mary Whithouse debate : don't like it, switch it off - not seen it, don't criticise it.

I apologise - I'm rambling and I'm tired.......:(

But why censor for the apparent sake of it?? Kingkenny. And have a good trip stateside.....yawn...............

Cheetara
-12th June 2003, 12:02
It's not the rubbish that bothers me it's the politics that's started to creep in. I know I've replied but fencing has enough politics happening in itself without bringing real stuff in too.

srb
-12th June 2003, 12:07
Yes

srb
-12th June 2003, 12:08
No

srb
-12th June 2003, 12:08
I'm just not sure

haggis
-12th June 2003, 15:47
srb

Thank you for your carefully considered response;)

whizzkid1982
-12th June 2003, 16:20
Originally posted by Kingkenny
When I get back from the states I will go through ad wipe any post that is general chit chat and not fencing related or related to the original post ;)

the only problem with this is that sometimes further fencing issues arise from the inital post. therefore later posts will not always relate to the first!

oh and association game is about the only thread i've seen that has stayed absolutely on the topic it started with!

Gav
-12th June 2003, 16:53
I didn't think that this would cause such controversy!

It's not the off topic-ness that annoys as some of the drivel (sorry guys) that has crept in on some of the topics.

oiuyt
-12th June 2003, 20:52
I agree with Gav, it's annoying. Of course I stop reading those threads, so censoring is hardly required.

'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it' (attributed to Voltaire, but actually written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the pseudonym S[tephen] G. Tallentyre)

Hence I favor (favour) trying to influence the most egregious cases into limiting their bahvior to the chit-chat section and letting them do as they will rather than getting into locking threads.

-B :)

PM1
-12th June 2003, 21:37
so Gav, you've talked your self away from your original post?? Or moderated your views, perhaps?? Drivel apart, there are some very good things coming thru on the chit chat. I skipped much of the political stuff, may go back to it when I have more time, but allow people to differ and witter periodically, please..............;) ;)

Moose
-13th June 2003, 00:54
Ok I guess I'd better post here considering that I'm probably the worst perpetrator on the board.

Yes I admit that some mindless drivel does ooze out of my brain from time to time, but I have been behaving lately :)

I shall attempt to keep drivel to the chit chat section in future :transport

Gav
-13th June 2003, 08:52
PM1: I've not moderated my opinion.

I may have given it more definition but I have not moderated it. It's annoying to try and look at a post that you think you'll be interested in to find pages if one word responses. If people want to have an online conversation then they should really take it to a chat room.

wingnutLP
-13th June 2003, 09:31
Tempted to agree however, useful stuff does sometimes come out of changes in topic. What is a shame is that people will not be able to find answers to questions very easily and will end up asking the same questions over and over.

Don't think we have time to delate all the threads that wander but I may start PM ing the worst offenders.

PM1
-13th June 2003, 17:42
ok Gav, I accept your comments: thanks for being clearer.

One word answers in chit chat etc can be appropriate, and PM'ng between Buddies would seem sensible ( been a hard week, and I'm still trying to be rational - will open a bottle of red soon). I find not just going off topic but also CHANGES in topic on the same threas frustrating - Wingnut, you are right too - answers to questions can get lost in trivia. There is a FAQ re the forum, is it feasible to set up a FAQ with appropriate answers on fencing that is read only?? I suspect it would take too much work to edit stuff out??

Deleting isn't necessarily a good idea - politely suggesting random posters butt out or come back on topic is. I used to try......would likely have more effect from a mod.

I admit I joined in a three way convo about a week ago in the wee small hours on the board, playing Association, and I apologise. Mind you, three way PM'ng isn't possible?? Teckies please correct me if wrong.;) ;)

Moose
-14th June 2003, 02:57
No, 3 way PMing isnt possible.

I'd have to say that there is no need to delete threads, and to do so is generally a very bad idea. If you want to shut a thread down then at the very most lock it. You should only delete threads or posts when there is activity going on with is deemed offensive. Before you say anything about post counts, you could delete every post on the board and not affect post counts, there is a seperate button in the vB admin control panel (not that I've ever used vB before, honest :grin: ) which will update post counts after deletions, and as long as this is not pressed then things will stay the same :)

Aoife
-15th June 2003, 17:10
there is a seperate button in the vB admin control panel (not that I've ever used vB before, honest ) which will update post counts after deletions, and as long as this is not pressed then things will stay the same

You've thought about that idea a bit haven't you Moose?

I do try to keep rants on topic, well, I've been trying to the last few weeks anyway. Sometimes they just don't (and sometimes, I admit, I give in to temptaion and have a ramble)

uk_45
-25th February 2004, 15:45
Keep 'em 'cos cacth 22 here if you look at some of the post in THIS thread they fell under the catergory of low content!

Prometheus
-25th February 2004, 16:21
Originally posted by Cheetara
It's not the rubbish that bothers me it's the politics that's started to creep in. I know I've replied but fencing has enough politics happening in itself without bringing real stuff in too.

May be we should put 'em against a wall.......

Have them dealt with by the Secret Police.....

round them up and put 'em in a camp.....

oh b***er that's politics isn' t it!:rolleyes:

madfencer
-5th March 2004, 12:14
lol! please dont get rid of short threads they're part of my sad ol' life!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no really, please dont. besides i can create more b4 u delete em so ha!!!!!!!!!!!
please please please dont!!!!!!!
as sum1 said, if u dont like em, DONT CLICK ON EM!!! or put up wiv em!!!!!!! sorry if treads wander into the realms of boredom and seroiusly changed topics i dont do it deliberately (thats only starting off like that!!!) yea i think ill shut up now!!!!