PDA

View Full Version : Chick Flicks

Tubby
-10th June 2003, 23:26
Nothing to do with women's foil..........
As I've got old and soft I find that my taste in films have got, shall we say, more diverse.

Alongside guys films I've found, creeping up on the outside, a, a, a, a, a liking for chick flicks :girl1: ! Ok I've out-ed myself.

Highly recommended: I'm with Lucy; Notting Hill
Trifle with: Get over it
All time greats: 4 Weddings; English Patient

Anyone have a recommendation in this genre?

Hudson
-11th June 2003, 09:04
chick flicks. AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH run for the hills, just watched
We Were Soilders last night, very good film. Just a few things i didn't like but i have just read the book.

Tubby
-11th June 2003, 21:36
I suppose theres not much call for ckick flicks out in the desert, skin flick maybe but is that stereotyping? How true to life is We Were Soldiers, I don't recall it being released in the UK. Just looked at the trailer on the website, has Mel rewritten history yet again?
:chopper:

Rdb811
-11th June 2003, 23:19
It was released but not for very long - the reviews weren't too good either, IIRC.

Aoife
-12th June 2003, 09:41
I suppose theres not much call for ckick flicks out in the desert, skin flick maybe but is that stereotyping

LMAO!!! :rolling:

I absolutly detested the mere idea of 'chick flicks' until I saw Practical Magic some time last year (Goran Visnic was in it, I had to see it :) ) and I suddenly realised the value of a good chick flick. *sigh* Part of my tomboy years are behind me :(

I reccomend Practical Magic, urm, not much else really, I've seen more, but the names are escaping me at this second. Might add them later when I remember them.

Moose
-12th June 2003, 15:51
Failing that there's always "Generic American Teen Film 12" :grin:

Hudson
-12th June 2003, 16:17
Originally posted by Tubby
I suppose theres not much call for ckick flicks out in the desert, skin flick maybe but is that stereotyping? How true to life is We Were Soldiers, I don't recall it being released in the UK. Just looked at the trailer on the website, has Mel rewritten history yet again?
:chopper:

it's not to bad, a few things i had a problem with but all in all quite true to the book.
Only covers the first battle at LZ X-Ray. trying to get 3 days of constant battle into a film will mean bits are missed out but all in all good. I recomend you read the book first though so you get a feel for the characters, before you watch it.

Gav
-12th June 2003, 16:57
I'm sorry Hudson but I have no intention of watching We Were Soldiers. It looks like the same patriotic drivel that Hollywood has been feeding the world for the last few years (and this has increased since 911). Other people who have watched have told me not to bother.

Of the recent US war films I've seen I rather enjoyed Three Kings.

Katman
-12th June 2003, 19:08
We Were Soldiers isn't worth it. There was some point where some reporter-lady-extra was taking a picture of an american flag with a Single Lens Reflex camera, changing position with each time, and not bothering to focus her camera! Dumb extra. :tongue:

I like chick flicks if they are good chick flicks. I rather liked French Kiss, or, um, whatchacallit, 28 days. :grin:

Tubby
-12th June 2003, 19:12
The oil down the throat scene (Three Kings) was too much for my delicate demeanor.

The last two Mel G movies I saw were Braveheart and The Patriot, as works of fiction its good hokum, good bit of comeupance at the end of The Patriot (oh did I spoil it?)

The Wedding Singer - another recommended Chick Flick

"LMAO!!!" - OK please translate once again for the aged "can't text won't text" technopobe.

Katman
-12th June 2003, 19:26
Laughing-my-ass-off. ;)

Tubby
-12th June 2003, 19:37
Originally posted by Katman
I rather liked French Kiss, or, um, whatchacallit, 28 days. :grin: French Kiss was a good Chick Flick, made even better by Les Yeux Ouverts by The Beautiful South, cover of the Mamas and Papas all time classic Dream a Little Dream. I would have attached the MP3 file but I think that's not allowed :( .

28 Days - cool film, anything with Sandra even Miss Congeniality.:grin:

Thanks for the LMAO translation.

Tubby
-12th June 2003, 19:42
Although not a chick flick but with loads of flicks, The Musketeer - I got it on DVD last year, you wanna see moves? Check it out.:fencingsm

Aoife
-12th June 2003, 21:50
"LMAO!!!" - OK please translate once again for the aged "can't text won't text" technopobe.

Sorry, if it's any consolation I refuse to use 'txt tlk' other than lmao and lol more or less- I'm stubbornly unteenage in that :)

Does Princess Bride count as a chick flick?

Tubby
-13th June 2003, 00:07
I don't have the patent on the definition but if it fits the girl gets guy formula or girl doesn't get guy but with loads of pathos then its in.

I seem to recall its the story with corking blade sequences where the hero fences with his weaker hand then switches to his stronger hand.

Sleepless in Seattle - there's a chick flick about a chick flick.

Cayote ugly - Chick Flick with attitude

Charlie's Angels - give me a break :dizzy:

Flaxen_Renegade
-7th July 2003, 18:43
Never Been Kissed is good. Ooh, or erm... Three To Tango, that too is fairly amusing :)

Moose
-7th July 2003, 20:38
Now I quite liked 10 Things I Hate About You

Tubby
-7th July 2003, 21:13
Originally posted by Flaxen_Renegade
Never Been Kissed is good. Ooh, or erm... Three To Tango, that too is fairly amusing :) Yep - Never Been Kissed - gotta confess that one nearly choked me when she was standing on the pitcher's mound with her heart in the dirt waiting to be trodden on.............

Three to Tango - I just can't get pass chandler bing...sorry.

A recommended watch for you youngsters is Woody's (before he became a pedo) Annie Hall. That spawned millions of copy cat "lah dee dahs"

Something a bit more contemporary - As good as it gets

Or try a combo - Armageddon

Flaxen_Renegade
-8th July 2003, 08:13
I agree about the Bing thing, it is rather annoying. Also Neve Campbell is really bad at pretending to puke. I love 10 things I hate about you but I had a copy bought for me by somebody who really irritates me so I've been rather put off. He actually nearly saw me typing that! :eek:

Moose
-8th July 2003, 13:13
Your Dad buy it for you? :grin:

Flaxen_Renegade
-10th July 2003, 15:13
Not my dad, a guy at College. I threatened to kill him with a Maths book earlier. The worrying thing is, I wasn't kidding!

tigger
-11th July 2003, 09:08
That would make an interesting Post Mortem report.....

Deceased was killed around 4pm on July 10th. Cause of Death: A sharp blow to the temple with a tome of mathematical content....

Flaxen_Renegade
-12th July 2003, 08:40
Hehe, yeah. The motive isn't too bizarre if you ever meet him though. He's just SOOOO annoying!

I love Jeremy
-15th July 2003, 12:34
The Princess Bride could sort of count as a chick flick. That was so hillarious, I loved it. I really like About A Boy and Coyote Ugly. They're both quite good. Hugh Grant looks better in About A Boy but you should never forget the classic! Four Weddings And A Funeral!

Tubby
-1st August 2003, 23:03
What a girl wants - chick flick formula
How to lose a guy in 10 days - cool
Whale rider - tear jerker

View from the top - turkey

Down on love - story sh1te but check it out for style and 7 of 9 in a pencil skirt. The ultimate star wars meets star trek movie "question mark"