PDA

View Full Version : help!!

mattv
-1st March 2005, 13:18
I was wondering if anyone could help. I've put my name down to do epee at an upcoming competition and i've never actually done it before. I was hoping that someone could tell me the differences between epee and foil, like can you use the parries you use in foil for epee and the en-guard position for epee as i hear thats different to foil and other things like that.

Total_Fencing
-1st March 2005, 13:27
Hmmm.

OK, it would probably help if you can speak to your coach about this.

As far as I'm aware, the en garde position is exactly the same.

But that's about it. They are two totally different weapons, and if you've never even taken a lesson in epee, I'd recommend taking a few before the competition. The most obvious difference between foil and epee is that foil has 'priority' to determine who scores hits - in epee a hit is simply a hit, no matter when or where.

But yeah, speak to your coach about this. Quickly.;)

Touché Turtle
-1st March 2005, 14:19
Just do foil but remember there's no off target - you can hit them anywhere. That should confuse a few folk nicely. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

strawberry
-1st March 2005, 14:21
Well you're from Aber so why not just ask someone to show you the basics? If you just ask one of the advanced lot, they'd be happy to show you. I'd recommend asking Danny or if I'm free grab me and I'll show you. I'm Sarah by the way.

Tarmac
-1st March 2005, 14:34
Originally posted by Total_Fencing

As far as I'm aware, the en garde position is exactly the same.

nope.
foil en garde has a lovely open target on the wrist for an epeeist, you have to lower that wrist and cover it with your guard. An unusal position to start with, but you'll get used to it.

If you fence foil style you'll find you'll get hit on your preparation or at any time when you'd have 'right of way'.

Think defense and outside of foil timings.
You can do pretty much anything... but learnt he specifics of epee rules... we can be just as anally retentive as foilists when it comes down to it!
;)
good luck!

D'Artignan
-1st March 2005, 15:18
Originally posted by Tarmac
we can be just as anally retentive as foilists when it comes down to it!
;)
good luck! Not this foilist you can't!
As for advice, batter their guard a few times, then knee cap them!Even if you lose the hit, they ain't going anywhere in a hurry! Heh heh.
Seriously, remember to lead with your point, not your feet and you should be fine.:)

Moppet
-1st March 2005, 15:58
My best piece of advice would to be to forget everything you've ever learnt about ROW and go for it. :)

" If in doubt, stick your arm out" :)

vil
-1st March 2005, 16:07
Another thing to think about is the parries. In foil usually you just tap their blade since that's all you need to do to get right of way. In epee you need to make sure you don't give them the opportunity to remise, so parries with opposition are the norm.

(I know what I'm trying to say, but I don't know if it's coming across very clearly...)

And watch your distance, too. It's easy to forget in the heat of the moment that your sword arm and front leg are the primary target area, so you need to keep them out of harms way. Proper distance will also give you more time to react to whatever your opponent might try.

Good luck!

pigeonmeister
-1st March 2005, 16:20
Whenever I fence Epee, I forget that you don't need to test lames and so get bemused looks when I go to stab them in the chest!

You should come en-garde slightly further out and with your blade pointing a bit lower (to avoid being hit under the arm) You cannot afford any attempt at broken time attacks and should not pause after a beat before attacking (which is what foilists do) Distance is the key to Epee but close courter epee is no different to foil, so closing the distance might work. Just concentrate on getting a light on first- by whatever means (legal of course!) If in doubt stick your arm out or make an explosive small beat fleche and back yourself for speed.

Dave Hillier
-1st March 2005, 16:21
.... and if you charge forward with your epee pointing at the ceiling then try and flick to back you will get everything that you deserve.

On a more useful note remember that your legs are target too. Many foilists doing epee forget that.

D'Artignan
-1st March 2005, 16:22
Originally posted by pigeonmeister
by whatever means (legal of course!) Where's the fun in that?

pigeonmeister
-1st March 2005, 16:31
Originally posted by Dave Hillier
[B
On a more useful note remember that your legs are target too. Many foilists doing epee forget that. [/B]

Good point - I always forget to protect my legs and often get caught when I parry onto them. Don't pause on your ripostes- you have a larger target area so you don't need to pick your spot like in foil. In fact the one thing that Epeeists don't like about foilists is that they are usually faster and have a decent parry. Try and get them to fence you like a foilist doing epee. If you fence an eppeeist on his own terms he will get into a comfort zone and kill you on timing and distance.

Oh and if you see someone going for your toes just stab them- 8 or 9 times out of 10 they will miss.

A really solid hit to the mask is always a good way to rattle your opponent.

Tarmac
-1st March 2005, 16:43
Originally posted by pigeonmeister
A really solid hit to the mask is always a good way to rattle your opponent.
or a good way to focus an opponent!

as for close combat... remember that the epee is a bit longer, therefore a bit more unwieldy

flicks are of course heavier and will not be appreciated if done badly... i advise against attempting any unless you're happy with distance and ability

<who has a lovely flick to ankle for special occasions>:tongue:

"Try and get them to fence you like a foilist doing epee."
really does work...:grin:

luke99
-1st March 2005, 20:22
Don't forget the straight forearm so that the handguard can protect the forearm. Not like in foil make sure ur forearm is in a straight line with the blade. Check it in a mirror 2 make sure, or just ask an epeeist.

Aidyboy
-1st March 2005, 20:29
Just wave it about like you would in foil, but don't think about it as much:tongue: We don't have your silly ROW rules. On a serious note make sure to keep your fencing distance just right, and I'll emphasize the importance of the following skill again. (It's the perfect way to win at epee:grin: )

" If in doubt, stick your arm out" (courtesy of Moppet)

Rdb811
-1st March 2005, 21:46
Kept elbow, guard and point in line and stick yer arm out.

Practise in front of teh mirror raising teh arm and sticking it out - check that at no point is the forarm exposed.

Rdb811
-1st March 2005, 21:47
And stick yer arm out.

Have we mentioned that ?

vil
-2nd March 2005, 01:22
as for close combat... remember that the epee is a bit longer, therefore a bit more unwieldy
Not true. Sorry mate! The maximum length of the blade for both weapons is 90 cm and the total maximum length from tip to pommel of both is 110 cm.

Tarmac
-2nd March 2005, 09:22
oops.
ur..
um...

the epee is heavier than foil... therefore more unwieldy?
<hastily covering tracks> :tongue:

you been reading that rule book again? :rolleyes:

vil
-2nd March 2005, 10:34
you been reading that rule book again? :rolleyes:
Sadly I have nothing better to do in the late evening/early morning, these days. :confused:

madfencer
-9th March 2005, 13:17
Originally posted by vil
Sadly I have nothing better to do in the late evening/early morning, these days. :confused:

freak :tongue: lol.

vil
-9th March 2005, 13:31
Originally posted by madfencer
freak :tongue: lol.
And that's coming from YOU! I feel quite honoured. :)

luke99
-12th March 2005, 19:25
:transport

luke99
-12th March 2005, 19:26
soz pressed the wrong button there. Have you done the Epee comp yet, how did it go?