i am left handed
they took a right handed epee and put a left handed handle on it
thus my tang is the opposite of what it should be
i know aoife has started a similar thread before
but i really need a complete idiots guide to correcting my tang

James

wingnutLP
-13th June 2003, 12:32
Completely dismount the weapon (you will need to be very careful about removing the wires and guard so as not to break them off at the tang).

Then you need to place the tang in a sturdy vice with about 5mm of tang outside the vice. If the blade was made properly this section of the tang will be softer than the blade so you should be able to use moderate force to give the blade a a set in the correct direction. Most people give the blade around 5-15 degrees of set.

When this is done re-mount the weapon but be very careful that the wire insulation (red on LP blades) is pushed all the way to the tang of the blade. Then once the guard and inside guard socket (IGS) are over the tang (it is very important that the wires go inside the hole through the IGS) you must ensure that the wirs are pointing away from the tang. Once the pad and handle are on the tang check that the wires fit inside the groove in the handle (this prevents the wires from being cut when you tighten the handle).

The supplier shouled really have set the weapon correctly for you but I guess maybe they didn't have a vice?

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you have any probs...

James
-13th June 2003, 12:49
brilliant thank you
i feel it really should have been set up properly for me
but i did buy it in a rush at a comp in between bouts
so i suppose its something ill have to sort out for myself

wingnutLP
-13th June 2003, 12:53
The most important thing is to not trap the wires when you re-mount the weapon as it can lead to all sorts of problems.

Als I forgot to mention thet the wires don't need to be re connected in a specific order just to the two sockets that are closer together.