PDA

View Full Version : Moving to the grey side

Pointy stick
-3rd March 2005, 17:37
So, for reasons that don't sound convincing now, I bought an epee. Not the dark side - that would be sabre - but definitely the grey side...

Being the manic armoury obsessive that I am, I checked it on the test box at home, checked the handle and all that, and then took it to the club. I tested it before my first fight and it worked.

When I was 3:0 down in my first fight, my opponent asked me to test because she was sure that at least one of my hits should have registered. The bloomin' thing had stopped working before it had registered its first hit.:(

A kind friend is going to fix it, but that's not the point...

I was able to borrow weapons for the evening, and for the first time in my career, fenced epee all evening, against a variety of opponents, instead of doing it to humour a non-foilist. It's quite fun, isn't it?

vil
-3rd March 2005, 17:56
Originally posted by Pointy stick
It's quite fun, isn't it?
Yes, it is rather. :)

I first tried epee when I was going through a slump in my foil. Hardly looked back since (although I do still enjoy the occasional foil bout).

D'Artignan
-3rd March 2005, 18:15
It's quite fun, isn't it? No:grin:

Moppet
-3rd March 2005, 18:36
Yup, glad you enjoyed it. :)

I began epee as a break from foil, but ended up being totally hooked on it! Great weapon.:grin:

Ulrika
-3rd March 2005, 21:45
Welcome to épée, let the fun commence! :)

Pointy stick
-4th March 2005, 00:22
Originally posted by Ulrika
Welcome to épée, let the fun commence! :)

Thinks: must start a thread on how many acute accents in epee, épée, epée, épee and how to find them on the keyboard. This is just so much more fun than foil.;) Anbd with the added bonus of no rules to speak of.:tongue:

Rdb811
-4th March 2005, 00:57
It's quite fun, isn't it?

Yep - and definately the greybread weapon.

dilznik
-4th March 2005, 06:58
Feh. Epee is the weapon of the blind. As long as I still can see with contacts, I'll fence foil.
I do, however have an epee. I use it to practice foil attacks against lowish level epee fencers. I figure if I can take this heavy piece of metal and jam it into the guy's chest before he can stick me in the arm, then I can certainly attack quickly in foil. It's practice for the other guys too, since it's pretty clear what I'm trying to do and all they have to do is retreat and stab me in the arm. Over and over again. Like drilling with a live target.

It certainly is easier without rules. Light? Point. Light? Point.

Insipiens
-4th March 2005, 09:35
Thinks: must start a thread on how many acute accents in epee, épée, epée, épee and how to find them on the keyboard. This is just so much more fun than foil.;) Anbd with the added bonus of no rules to speak of.:tongue:

If you have a standard windows set up hold down the ALT GR key and press the e key to get é. :)

two acute accents épée.

Tarmac
-4th March 2005, 10:10
Originally posted by dilznik
It certainly is easier without rules.

i wonder how many rules get ignored by non-epeeists in the belief there are none.:rolleyes: :moon: :tongue:

Feh.
Bless you.

dilznik
-4th March 2005, 10:19
Originally posted by Tarmac
i wonder how many rules get ignored by non-epeeists in the belief there are none

What rules are there? Don't stab the floor off the grounding, don't stab the table, don't stab your own foot while lunging and then attempt to claim the point as your own. Other than the time keeping, twirl the pen thing, there's not much to it. I think you can even run into people, can't you?

Tarmac
-4th March 2005, 10:29
I think you can even run into people, can't you?
and what are the specific rules about running into people?
i think you just proved my point...
you have an 'idea' of the rules.. but don't know them...:tongue:

dilznik
-4th March 2005, 10:33
and what are the specific rules about running into people?
i think you just proved my point...
you have an 'idea' of the rules.. but don't know them...:tongue:

Well yeah. If I do something wrong in foil, someone tells me. No one has said I'm doing anything wrong... other than my fabulously crummy foil technique... thus there must not be many rules. SURELY I would've broken them by now.
I run into people all the time. Foil... yellow card. Epee... nothing yet!

Tarmac
-4th March 2005, 10:36
Epee is the weapon of the blind.

And yet... we can read the rules...:eek:

vil
-4th March 2005, 11:25
I run into people all the time. Foil... yellow card. Epee... nothing yet!
Causing any corps á corps in foil (and sabre) is a yellow card, whether it's intentional or not. In epee, unintentional corps á corps is not penalised although it does stop the match. Rule t.20, if you're interested.

So you'll just have to try harder if you want to get carded at epee! :)

gbm
-4th March 2005, 11:31
And yet... we can read the rules...:eek:

Unlike foilists, it would seem, who learn the rules entirely from:
a) their coach
b) their clubmates
c) some random better fencer at a competition who tells them that yes, it is his attack with his arm behind his head...

In reverse order of what fencers seem to believe (i.e. c most, a least)...

iron maiden fan
-4th March 2005, 13:33
EPEE, FUN.......

yay, 100th post:party:

Pointy stick
-4th March 2005, 16:18
Originally posted by goodbadandme

c) some random better fencer at a competition who tells them that yes, it is his attack with his arm behind his head...

I must admit - joking apart about épée having "no rules" - that one of the refreshing things about the very few épée fights I've had was that there was no doubt whatsoever what constituted "an attack": it was anything I thought might hit me.

I like to think I have a fair understanding of foil ROW, and I certainly try, but there is a perceptible gap between the rules as described and the "conventioal interpretation". To my mind, anything that opens up the target and exposes it to a deadly thrust is a "mistake", and the conventions of foil were introduced to penalise "mistakes" of this kind.

D'Artignan
-4th March 2005, 18:50
And yet... we can read the rules...:eek: Doesn't mean you stick to them!

nessyfencer
-5th March 2005, 20:09
Originally posted by vil
Causing any corps á corps in foil (and sabre) is a yellow card, whether it's intentional or not. In epee, unintentional corps á corps is not penalised although it does stop the match. Rule t.20, if you're interested.

So you'll just have to try harder if you want to get carded at epee! :)

Although most people stop an epee match far too soon. You can actually get quite close before it should be stopped.

MadHouse
-6th March 2005, 03:49
Don’t be silly, Epee is not just for the blind. It’s also for really old guys like me!

vil
-6th March 2005, 22:21
Originally posted by nessyfencer
Although most people stop an epee match far too soon. You can actually get quite close before it should be stopped.
True, true. When I'm refereeing I tend to wait until I see actual body contact or until the fencers are no longer able to wield their weapons correctly (a separate rule, I forget which number). On the other hand, I do give yellow cards for jostling if I think the contact was too rough (well OK, I have once, when a fleche went more-or-less straight through the opponent... but I'd do it again! :rambo: )

dilznik
-7th March 2005, 08:41
Originally posted by goodbadandme
Unlike foilists, it would seem, who learn the rules entirely from:
a) their coach
b) their clubmates

Well yeah, that's the thing. In foil there's no real reason to read the rules. Much like the way the Supreme Court "reads" the US Constitution, everyone interprets the rules differently. It makes no difference what the rulebook says is really an attack or really right of way since sometimes a point-at-the-ceiling-marching-attack is an attack, and sometimes it's preperation. That's why the FIE changed the foil rules in the first place, the dirty scumbags.