PDA

View Full Version : spring resistance in foil

reposte
-13th June 2003, 23:08
Question which I think is a fairly major one:
I'm interested to know whether just-came-in-from-manufacturer foils come with the proper spring resistance (tip, naturally).
Is there a standard force to which they are calibrated? Is it the exact FIE min requirement? Does it vary with model/company?
How many of you have to "tamper" with the foil in order to make it just right...?
Since this is an LP forum it won't hurt if an LP moderator will answer for LP

3 Card Trick
-14th June 2003, 05:01
New springs will hold up much more than the minimum weight. if you want to have something that is "just" legal you will have to weaken the spring. There are a variety of ways of doing this, heating one end of the spring usually works.;)

Barry Paul
-14th June 2003, 07:07
The correct value for the spring tension in a new foil has been a matter of ongoing discusion within Leon Paul and with top fencers.

For many years we decided that the majority of fencers were happy to accept a spring value of 150 grams over the minimum requirement of 500 grams. For a fencer like myself that hit properly (no light flicking in the middle of the back) I would have been happy with a 750 gramm spring.(for god sake we are meant to to be killing our oponent) However other more delicate fencers wanted 501 grams.

We have now settled on about 520 to 530 gramms in a new point.

One of the problems is that F.I.E. blades last so much longer. (I was breaking about one a week when I was a world class fencers. Now it would be down to one or two.) This means the point has to last much longer. What eventually can happen with a Leon Paul point is the screws become worn where they contact the point top and this has the effect of lengthening the efective stroke and decreasing the spring pressure. If you replace a spring with a new one and you have a very short life before it becomes non regulation try changing the screws.

The other thing that will effect the apparent spring tension is any friction between the foil barrel and the foil top. Tips can get dust and small particles of grit so cleaning the inside of the barrel occasionally is a good idea. However the most likely cause is deformation of the barrel due to blows on the base.

Leon Paul bases are twice as stong as all the other major manufactures so you get much less problems with our points.

reposte
-14th June 2003, 12:15
What exactly do you mean by:

"If you replace a spring with a new one and you have a very short life before it becomes non regulation try changing the screws"

Are you not allowed to replace springs according to FIE rules?!

The Second Muse
-15th June 2003, 03:19
he's saying, try replacing the spring, but if indeed the new spring's life is short, the next thing you should try, is replacing the springs.

Barry Paul
-15th June 2003, 10:26
'the next thing you should try, is replacing the springs.'

I think you mean 'the next thing you should try, is replace the screws' Barry Paul

reposte
-15th June 2003, 10:40
gotcha. Didn't read the sentence with proper punctuation...

The Second Muse
-15th June 2003, 17:05
Originally posted by Barry Paul
'the next thing you should try, is replacing the springs.'

I think you mean 'the next thing you should try, is replace the screws' Barry Paul

yeah, the was a stupid mistake on my part