PDA

View Full Version : Association Game Thread

oiuyt
-16th June 2003, 19:14
Should we keep the Association Game thread?

It's scheduled to be locked/deleted. Should it stay or should it go?

-B :)

Muso440
-16th June 2003, 19:17
Hey, democracy in action! :)

You'll just have to hope now that lots of people log on before Kenny carries out his threat

oiuyt
-16th June 2003, 19:31
Yeah, it's helping me get to 100 posts so I can be uninspired as well. Something tells me I'll be there soon, association game or not.

bufc99
-16th June 2003, 19:32
only one more to go oiuyt

if ti's takin up too much space tehn i suppose we migth have to lose it but if there's still free space tehn let's keep it

whizzkid1982
-16th June 2003, 21:18
it may be sick and wrong but it does keep the bored amongst us mildly entertained!!!

rather than delete the lot why not delete the first 50 pages or so and keep deleting from the middle so that we know what the last few entries have been. i can't see anyone objecting as i don't expect neone has ever read all of the entries!!!

bufc99
-16th June 2003, 21:48
I've read all the entries, but over several weeks or however long teh games' been goin on. god i'm sad

Gav
-17th June 2003, 06:13
Come on guys. This thread [word association] has gone on far too long. Kingkenny is already grumbling about the size of the thread and I imagine it must be making a mockery of the database.

Muso440
-17th June 2003, 10:05
Originally posted by whizzkid1982
rather than delete the lot why not delete the first 50 pages or so and keep deleting from the middle so that we know what the last few entries have been. i can't see anyone objecting as i don't expect neone has ever read all of the entries!!!

That's quite a good idea. If someone hasn't read from the beginning by that point, it's just tough. (It's not as if your'e exactly missing anything profound...)

wingnutLP
-17th June 2003, 14:30
Thing is that it still mucks up the database even if you trim from the back end of the thread first (also not sure if you can even do this in v buletin I think your only option is to close or delete the thread entirely.

Also I think the wording of this poll makes the results pretty null and void. Slightly one sided in your approach to the way the question was phrased!!;)

Muso440
-17th June 2003, 21:55
Originally posted by wingnut
Also I think the wording of this poll makes the results pretty null and void. Slightly one sided in your approach to the way the question was phrased!!;)

I think you'd probably get the same opinions even if the question was 'shall we close the association game thread', with the poll questions being 'yes, for God's sake, it's a pointless waste of space', and 'no, I'm sad and I have nothing better to do', to be honest.

We can try that if you want ;)

oiuyt
-18th June 2003, 06:16
Originally posted by wingnut

I'm sorry, was there any doubt that this was my intention? :)

p.s. 100!!!!!

Mischa
-18th June 2003, 09:50
Vote to keep my lovely lovely thread open!!! :grin:

PM1
-18th June 2003, 19:24
congratulation, oiuyt, you centenarian you!!;) ;)

I'm very sad if this bit of fun spoils computer stats and things. It IS fun......if it's closed down, someone will start it again, but it could be limited to words on a theme (and rememeber, we come on chit chat for things NOT directly about fencing..).

Gav - please be gentle here.....

Marcos
-30th June 2003, 11:00
can't you just delete the first 110 pages?

:transport

Craig
-17th July 2003, 23:04
Originally posted by Gav
Come on guys. This thread [word association] has gone on far too long. Kingkenny is already grumbling about the size of the thread and I imagine it must be making a mockery of the database.

The database has separate tables for the threads and the posts, but the number of posts may be pushing the SQL storage size on up.

This looks almost like the "post your pic" or the "you know you're a newbie when" threads we had going over at fencing.net for a while.

Rdb811
-18th July 2003, 01:27
A somewhat under gunned database then.

Gav
-18th July 2003, 06:14
My feelings remain the same, I believe that the word association game thread must be closed. I will be thinking about this over the next couple of days.

Incidentally, the concept of the word association game doesn't bother me it's just that it has rumbled on now for far too long.

tigger
-18th July 2003, 09:36
We are being oppressed brothers and sisters! Rise up and demand your right to word association!

neochrome
-18th July 2003, 12:12
First of all : if its deemed a problem then get rid of it - democracy dosen't work when someone has to pay the bills :)

Reasons to keep ...
Its a bit of fun that keeps the community coming back to the boards - check around look at the other posts and have a play at the W.A.G. - it could be argued that it creates bondings - familiarisation and loads of other nice things - I won't though because I'm not so good at those kind of arguments :)

It is the highest viewed and highest used thread and therfore going to take up the most space, although as rdb pointed out its not a very good dbase if it can't handle the records. ( Its not like it is working like a mail server - the WAG posts tend to be a few words only )

But if it was my vboard I'd kill it - cos Im like that :tongue:

pinkelephant
-18th July 2003, 21:09
Why don't we just splat the old thread and start a new one, so Kenny can be happy again?

PM1
-18th July 2003, 23:35
Yeah, I'll go for that. SOmeone will start a new WAG immediately, and we could have a rule that we can't repeat a word or the threa gets splatted agin - there's always SOMEONE who knows if we've travelled down the path before. How about a subject WAG - song titles, or book titles, or authors, composers, cartoon charaters,whatever??

Just don't get rid of it completely - neochrome is right .....damn;) ;)

But yes, let's cheer KK up......:kingkenny :beer:

neochrome
-19th July 2003, 09:58
Maybe a page limit or post limit ?

When its gone to 4 pages start again ? Or at 500 posts ?

We don't want to get KK angry .... we wouldn't like him when he's angry

:grin:

Gav
-19th July 2003, 10:45
Right folks, I'm going to close the WAG thread. Organise the rules for a new one amongst yourselves and open it up if you wish.

Rdb811
-19th July 2003, 18:23
I can't really believe that the thread is clogging the database, but if it is then restart it - all of the regulars play it from time to time and it is good to come up with interesting associations.

Muso440
-19th July 2003, 19:08
Originally posted by neochrome

When its gone to 4 pages start again ? Or at 500 posts ?

500 posts sounds feasible to me (although I can't remember how far the last one got), 4 pages seems quite low

reposte
-19th July 2003, 19:18
I have to say sadly that lately I get the feeling that this forum has run its course professionally.
The association game is not to blame but I see more and more people devoted to chit chat threads than to actual
fencing threads. The sudden attack by blabbermouth schoolchildren doesn't seem to contribute. Anyone else agrees?

Rdb811
-19th July 2003, 19:44
There's always going to be alimit to the amount of fencing discussion - I thought the conent this week was less chit caht orientated than in the past - in any event it is the closed season so there won't be as many issues generated form fencing for a couple of months. we may see a surge in debate about moving the sport forward - that's my experience from past years

Gav
-19th July 2003, 20:56
One of the reasons that I closed off the WAG game was that I was becoming concerned that people were only logging on playing the game then leaving - that seemed to be the case for some.

It is off season hence the dop in posting numbers. When the season starts again then things will pick up. Roll on Essex! I hope to see some of you there. In fact I've come across an interesting article [see Off Piste] that I'll post a link to.

Reposte: I'm afraid that there is not much that I can do with regard to the schoolchildren. I'll keep an eye on them and if things get out of hand the appropriate action will be taken.

Rdb811
-20th July 2003, 00:49
I've often gone down the list and then found there was nothing usful I could add to a lot o the posts and then did a WA - sort of atreat after the serious stuff.

It's the silly seasn - 'man bites dog' time.

neochrome
-20th July 2003, 09:17
I wouldn't agree - lots of useful information keeps popping up time after time, Im a newbie to fencing and I find some of the topics highly useful. I would like to contribute more - but I think its wise to keep quiet until I know enough to comment - but you should know I read nearly every thread.
To people who are new this place is like an encyclopedia.

Perhaps you have outgrown some of the topics or ( and I don't know a better way to phrase this - so please excuse it ) that your lack of erm fun is stopping other peoples enjoyment.

One of the nice thing about this vboard is that people are friendly and there is a feeling of community, chats above all else help creat those feelings - just like with friends.

Anyway - I'm a newbie so ignore my rantings, maybe the answer would be to enforce the fencing only parts of the board and remove the non-fencing areas, afterall a chit chat area will encourage chit chat.

Muso440
-20th July 2003, 11:16
Originally posted by Gav
Reposte: I'm afraid that there is not much that I can do with regard to the schoolchildren. I'll keep an eye on them and if things get out of hand the appropriate action will be taken.

It's the school holidays now so maybe they will disappear, and will have forgotten about it by September..... Fingers crossed.