PDA

View Full Version : Best university fencing clubs

Dublte
-25th March 2005, 16:15
Fencing isn't the be all and end all of what university I eventually decide to go to in a couple of years but would be nice to be where there is a good club.
Ideally I would like to go to Oxford or Cambridge depending on whether I want science as part of my degree course (don't think there is much chance of me successfully applying anyway) but which universitys have "well-known" or "good" fencing clubs?

Cheetara
-25th March 2005, 16:42
Most universities have a decent fencing club. How good it is in a particular year varies depending on who chooses to go and to a certain extent how enthusiastic the club is which is more constant. Some universities (Like Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, and others apologies to leaving anyone out) are consistently good.

Look at www.busa.org.uk at the fixtures and results to get an idea of how well clubs are doing at BUSA this year. Look at the local clubs as well.

Also most uni clubs have a website to look at too which will give you an idea of what the clubs is like.

O*N
-25th March 2005, 17:46
Well UCD have just won the All-Ireland Intervarsity Championships for the 4th year in a row. So if your thinking of studying in Ireland - accept no substitutes. ;)

D'Artignan
-25th March 2005, 18:26
Come up to Dundee!! The town is pretty ugly, but the pubs are good, or so I've heard...
The Men's Team has a couple of useful fencers, but we could do with more female fencers, especially if they're good looking...;)

Dublte
-28th March 2005, 17:58
:tongue: Thanks, Oxford looks good, also has the courses I want - don't think there is a chance of me getting the grades though.

Not fencing competively isn't a problem at university, I'm mainly want to attend a club so that I can keep training for when I go home and to socialize - so as long as there is one I think I might be able to survive until the end of my education.

Emma T
-28th March 2005, 18:24
From what I can tell most university clubs are what you make of them. There will of course be the odd exception, but if you're mainly worried about maintaining your current standard, rather than large improvements from the club, then most clubs will be able to offer that. Performance at BUSA level varies because most fencers only stay at the club for 3 or 4 years, so there might be a very strong team one year followed by a much weaker one quite soon afterwards.

Don't forget you can also look at other clubs in the area if you feel that the uni club isn't offering enough!

D'Artignan
-28th March 2005, 18:43
I repeat....

Originally posted by D'Artignan
Come up to Dundee!! The town is pretty ugly, but the pubs are good, or so I've heard...
The Men's Team has a couple of useful fencers, but we could do with more female fencers, especially if they're good looking...;) :tongue: :grin: :) :moon:

bucket
-29th March 2005, 10:44
especially if they're good looking...;)

Comments like that will get you in trouble D'art. ;)

The Men's Team has a couple of useful fencers

Who would they be then ??? :grin:

Yeah, Dundee'a great club, good coaches, good team, and they have the ability to beat anyone !

D'Artignan
-29th March 2005, 12:15
Originally posted by bucket
The Men's Team has a couple of useful fencers

Who would they be then ??? :grin:
[/B] Dunno, Bucket. Care to enlighten us?;) :tongue: :grin: :moon:

Dublte
-29th March 2005, 16:41
Dundee has a university?? I thought it was a small town in Scotland - shows what I know, Geography was never my strong point.

I want to study mathmatical biology - the course looks really interesting but so much science and maths needs more dimensions so I want to continue fencing... oxford don't offer the right course though and their fencing club is expensive (by my books anyway, i'm tight)

I doubt I will end up getting into university, think I am way too lazy to get the grades for the courses I want. I'll just stick to solent swords for a while.

D'Artignan
-29th March 2005, 16:57
Dundee has one and a half uni's.
The Life Sciences dept. is ***** rated for both teaching and research, dunno how good the maths dept. is though.
And as for being lazy, anyone who knows me will tell you that no-one is as lazy as me, and I got in.

gbm
-29th March 2005, 18:06
Dunno, Bucket. Care to enlighten us?;) :tongue: :grin: :moon:

Actually, D'Artignan, he was quoting you... :tongue: :grin: :tongue: :grin: ;) :moon:

D'Artignan
-29th March 2005, 18:11
Originally posted by goodbadandme
Actually, D'Artignan, he was quoting you... :tongue: :grin: :tongue: :grin: ;) :moon: Yeah, I know, but I was wanting him to name and shame to see if he thought the good fencers were the same as the ones I thought were good.
If that makes any sense.:confused: :rolleyes:

oiuyt
-29th March 2005, 18:17
And of course there are a number of schools across the pond with some fencing....

-B :)

D'Artignan
-29th March 2005, 19:06
Originally posted by oiuyt
And of course there are a number of schools across the pond with some fencing....

-B :) That you pimping your own uni, there?;) :tongue:

Dublte
-29th March 2005, 19:37
I will hopefully be alright in my application - as long as you can omit certain GCSE results (French and Drama) its just keeping up with work once i'm there.

Sorry, not in a clever mood :grin: was that
a) a private joke
b) a joke that confused my small, tired mind
c) refering to racingfrogs.com or
d) just a general comment like I thought it was until I thought about it some more and confused myself.

I think I am going to sit in my hole for a while until I am a bit more calm and rational.

D'Artignan
-29th March 2005, 19:42
Originally posted by Dublte
d) just a general comment like I thought it was until I thought about it some more and confused myself.
That is the correct answer

bucket
-30th March 2005, 11:26
Dundee ....
The Life Sciences dept. is *****

Usually just spelt with four stars.

The good fencers in Dundee....

Alex Wengraf and Kev. don't know the rest. :grin:

purple
-30th March 2005, 16:33
Accept no substitutes - Durham.

Nuff said.

Dublte
-30th March 2005, 17:31
There are so many universities.... Big decision making problems *Hits head on table through both annoyance and stress*

For university clubs do they provide kit? ecause I have been told that for the Oxford one you need full electric kit and being unwaged I can't afford full kit, will hopefully get a nice mask with a picture of michael jackson on the front to distract opponants.

Durhum, Dundee... so many to chose from...

D'Artignan
-30th March 2005, 17:32
Dundee provide kit. Some of it even works. Occasionally.

Dublte
-30th March 2005, 17:34
Dundee it is then :grin:

D'Artignan
-30th March 2005, 20:19
Thought that might seal the deal;)
See you at the Fresher's Fayre, then:grin: :grin:

pigeonmeister
-31st March 2005, 08:09
Come to Birmingham, we are officially the second best fencing team in the country, plus we have kit and are nice! Oh and it's quite a good university as well.

oiuyt
-31st March 2005, 15:30
That you pimping your own uni, there?;) :tongue:

While I happen to have a good opinion of my uni (true whether you take that statement to mean the uni I attended (Johns Hopkins University), the uni that my avatar pictures (University of Massachusetts (which is a club rather than varsity fencing program)), or the uni that I currently work for (Temple University)), it was actually not intented as a suggestion of any specific school, but merely a reminder that there are some non-local options that some British fencers might find worth considering.

oiuyt
-31st March 2005, 15:32
That is the correct answer

D'art is correct, it was, indeed, a general comment and not a joke. And I've never been on racingfrogs.com (although I might have to surf over there now just to find out what the reference might have been).

D'Artignan
-31st March 2005, 16:23
Originally posted by pigeonmeister
Come to Birmingham, we are officially the second best fencing team in the country, plus we have kit and are nice! Oh and it's quite a good university as well. Too late, we've already got her!;)

Nick_C
-31st March 2005, 17:07
Come to Loughborough, coz it's great! We have arguably got the strongest men's epee team in the UK (unbeaten all season, including vs birmingham!).

D'Artignan
-31st March 2005, 17:11
Come to Dundee, then you'll get to meet one of the most infamous forumites!
And as I may have mentioned before, we're actually quite good!

Insipiens
-31st March 2005, 17:14
Come to Birmingham, we are officially the second best fencing team in the country, plus we have kit and are nice! Oh and it's quite a good university as well. I think you missed out on the quite important word "university" in between best and fencing team :)

Boo Boo
-31st March 2005, 17:26
but merely a reminder that there are some non-local options that some British fencers might find worth considering.

Unfortunately it is not a hugely practical solution for most British students unless:
- they are good enough a fencer to get a significant sports scholarship,
- they are incredibly bright and likely to get a significant academic scholarship,
- they (or their parents) are stinking rich, or
- they fancy starting their post-university life with some SERIOUS debt...

I remember looking at American Universities (a few years ago...) for my undergraduate degree (Cornell, MIT, Penn...) and being shocked at the cost - I think that tuition fees were about $15k-$25k per year back then (that was excluding any living expenses...). I believe that tuition fees (for British students) at British Universities are about 1.5k...

Boo

Dave Hillier
-31st March 2005, 17:28
Well cambridge uni are probably the best (mens) three weapon club team in the country. But seeing as there aren't 3W teams comps besides BUSA I guess that we will never know.

moggle
-31st March 2005, 20:57
Although one of the smallest clubs in the country (this year we have 3 guys and 3 girls!), Northumbria Uni has been performing consitently for the last 4-5yrs, being placed in the top 3 in the country, and winning the women's event last year with just 4 fencers.

It's not thought of initially because it's a poly, but everyone on the team this year has a sport scholarship because fencing is a high performance sport at the uni. This means you get money towards education, travel, accommodation etc. and means that I'm not completely in debt yet!

I'd recommend it, but then I go to the uni! The city's amazing though - great party atmosphere!

pigeonmeister
-1st April 2005, 07:24
Originally posted by Insipiens
I think you missed out on the quite important word "university" in between best and fencing team :)

And there was me thinking that wasn't an important distinction. I wondered why we weren't selected for Athens.;)

p.s Nick.. You did have a better epee team than us, but wasn't it a tie at 43 all or something like that? I could be wrong.

Dublte
-1st April 2005, 14:26
Kit, money towards fees, Northumbria is beginning to sound pretty good. (Thats presuming it has kit, otherwise i'm back off to Dundee)

D'Artignan
-1st April 2005, 14:30
You going to Dundee anyway, whether you like it or not;)

Seriously Dundee is a good place to study, fence at, and party in.

Dublte
-3rd April 2005, 18:42
Does it have good food? That's my main priority at the moment! (Along with fencing of course)

Emma T
-3rd April 2005, 20:30
Food?! What on earth do you want food for?!

I should at this point chime in with go Exeter. We may not have the best teams, but we're a really nice bunch of people! And there's plenty of kit to go around (particularly if you're a leftie...) Although be wary of the right handed electric foils...

gbm
-3rd April 2005, 20:36
Plus going from the IOW to Exeter is a little easier than the IOW to Dundee... (a little extreme perhaps!)

Dublte
-3rd April 2005, 20:44
Yeah... but keeps me away from my family for a while. I need a bit more independance.

I need food for nutrition and eating is one of my number one pastimes.

D'Artignan
-4th April 2005, 10:55
Does it have good food? That's my main priority at the moment! (Along with fencing of course) We've got a large supply of Pot Noodles....

Emma T
-4th April 2005, 13:50
We've got a large supply of Pot Noodles....

Dublte said food...

D'Artignan
-4th April 2005, 13:50
Originally posted by Emma T
Dublte said food... They are traditional student food.....

Neo
-4th April 2005, 19:28
Originally posted by goodbadandme
Plus going from the IOW to Exeter is a little easier than the IOW to Dundee... (a little extreme perhaps!)

Why in the hell would u want to do that?

D'Artignan
-4th April 2005, 20:05
Originally posted by Neo
Why in the hell would u want to do that? What? Go up to Dundee? Cos it's great!:confused: :rolleyes:
Seriously, it's not that bad. Plus, it doesn't smell as bad these days.:)

Dublte
-4th April 2005, 20:42
Plus, it doesn't smell as bad these days.:)
That's reassuring! :confused:

Aren't pot noodles full of sudan I?? Yey, additives!!

I am seriously considering taking a gap year to the rainforest or China before university, a year without fencing - unless I go as a fencing missionary!

D'Artignan
-4th April 2005, 20:46
That's reassuring! :confused:
ask anyone who went to Dundee a few years ago and they'll tell you exactly what I mean.

Dublte
-4th April 2005, 21:16
Ahh bet it has never smelt as bad as my old house, with a cow field in the backgarden it wasn't pleasant on a hot summers day! :tongue:

Have been on the Dundee website, just for a peek, and it offers the course I want, you can also do it as an undergraduate course! Oxford requires a full maths degree first!

D'Artignan
-4th April 2005, 21:17
Its settled then, Dundee here you come!!:grin: ;)
Hope you like the smell of fish.:confused:

Dublte
-4th April 2005, 21:42
Sounds...err...nice! :confused:

Dublte
-4th April 2005, 21:48
Is attending University bad for your health, from all the things it seems pretty unhealthy.
Bad Smells
Pot Noodles
Fencing
Not a combination I would put together - eating before sport is not a good idea!

D'Artignan
-4th April 2005, 21:48
Just stay away from the bus station area. There's some sort of fish processing place across the road from it. Keep that in mind and you should be okay.

colliebeast
-5th April 2005, 10:00
Fencing is a target sport at Durham so its one of the few universitys where fencing is on a par with the likes of football and rugby!

they also gave me a lovely bursary for fencing which included physio, gym, training, equipment costs etc.

J_D
-5th April 2005, 10:15
Originally posted by Dave Hillier
Well cambridge uni are probably the best (mens) three weapon club team in the country. But seeing as there aren't 3W teams comps besides BUSA I guess that we will never know.

There's always the Crystal Team Open.....

Naimst
-5th April 2005, 11:55
Durham rocks.....they love giving money to fencing.....There are 5 main targets sports in durham and as Colliebeast said fencing is one of them along with rowing, rugby, canoeing and cricket.

Our club is coached by Laszlo Jakab who is a god. We have a strong mens team who were unlucky in BUSA this year and a womens team who have come 3rd the last 3 years.

We also have a strong club with plenty of club kit to lend out. 3 training sessions a week and plenty of club members off competing regularly.

Dublte
-5th April 2005, 13:38
Whoa, wish someone would pay for my sports fees, I pay out pretty much everything I earn on fencing and karate (I don't earn much).
Do Dundee and Durhum have karate clubs aswell?

Naimst
-5th April 2005, 15:42
We do both Shotokan and Shotokai Karate as well as many other sports.
Check out the sports website at www.sportdurham.com

Let me know if you want any other info!!

Dublte
-5th April 2005, 17:03
Wahey, Durhum is sounding better each post!!

Dublte
-5th April 2005, 17:04
Man, wish I could spell, Durham*

oiuyt
-5th April 2005, 18:07
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Unfortunately it is not a hugely practical solution for most British students unless:
- they are good enough a fencer to get a significant sports scholarship,
- they are incredibly bright and likely to get a significant academic scholarship,
- they (or their parents) are stinking rich, or
- they fancy starting their post-university life with some SERIOUS debt...

I remember looking at American Universities (a few years ago...) for my undergraduate degree (Cornell, MIT, Penn...) and being shocked at the cost - I think that tuition fees were about $15k-$25k per year back then (that was excluding any living expenses...). I believe that tuition fees (for British students) at British Universities are about 1.5k...

Boo

You mean it would be as impractical as it is for most American students (who, granted, don't have the massively cheaper British University option)? Yes, cost obviously should play a role in any decision.

D'Artignan
-5th April 2005, 19:42

Do Dundee and Durhum have karate clubs aswell? Does it matter? You'll be spending all your free time in the pub or with the fencers anyway (OK so its pretty much the same thing, but that's not the point).
PS Dundee is easier to spell than Durham, so there's another reason to come up to Jockland.;) :tongue:

jennigoodman
-5th April 2005, 20:00
If you go to Durham you have to choose a college too. If you go to Dundee you'll have to wear a kilt and everyone will have ginger hair and knobbly knees.

Dublte
-5th April 2005, 21:06
Does it matter? You'll be spending all your free time in the pub or with the fencers anyway (OK so its pretty much the same thing, but that's not the point).
PS Dundee is easier to spell than Durham, so there's another reason to come up to Jockland.;) :tongue:
I suppose I could train elsewhere, travel a bit - can't not train though, it helps with fencing.
Pubs and fencing sounds good not sure about the kilt wearing ginger people with knobbly knees though.

D'Artignan
-5th April 2005, 21:20
Errr, we don't have ginger hair, well, not all of us anyway. As for the nobbly knees, guilty as charged, I'm afraid.
Oh, and the kilt is optional, getting drunk is not.;)
Dundee also has Abertay Uni and Dundee College to choose from, but they aren't as good as Dundee Uni. There is also the Uni Fencing Club and Dundee Fencing Club (or whatever it's called nowadays), which meets on a Sunday night. The Uni one meets twice a week, but I dunno which nights they'll be able to get next year, though.

Dublte
-5th April 2005, 21:28
Not on beer I hope, don't like beer, has a nasty taste.

D'Artignan
-5th April 2005, 21:33
We'll let you get drunk on anything you want, hell some of us may even drink some of what you have, just so as you don't feel left out;)

moggle
-5th April 2005, 21:34
Kit, money towards fees, Northumbria is beginning to sound pretty good. (Thats presuming it has kit, otherwise i'm back off to Dundee)

It is really good - plus sports science back up similar to Durham; physio, massage, personal training, fitness and conditioning, nutrition, psychology. It's all there if you want it.

There's plenty of kit as well - Bela Kopetka, the coach has had a lot of money to work with (nearly 30,000!) so there's plenty to go around. Can't deny that Durham isn't a good uni - they have a really consistent team, but for a really good laugh, Northumbria's the place to come. I mean, Newcastle is the 8th best party city in the world, and Durham has the second worst club in Europe, thanks to Kloots.... Nuff said!! :tongue:

D'Artignan
-5th April 2005, 21:40
Dundee has (apparently) the 3rd best looking guys at British Uni's, and the 2nd best women. And it has one of the biggest Unions in Britain.
It also has, errr, me:) :moon:

Dublte
-6th April 2005, 08:48
Only 3rd best looking guys? Ohh *sighs*
Durham and Nothumbria look really good but don't have the course I want - I am having major problems finding a University that does it that isn't in America, only one so far Dundee!
:grin:

AussieMongrel
-6th April 2005, 11:21
Come to Birmingham, we are officially the second best fencing team in the country, plus we have kit and are nice! Oh and it's quite a good university as well.

Where can you find the official rankings of clubs?? I have tried to find this before but there did not seem to be one posted anywhere.

Naimst
-6th April 2005, 12:16
Originally posted by moggle
... and Durham has the second worst club in Europe, thanks to Kloots.... Nuff said!! :tongue:...

Moggle, I think that you will find that it is now the WORST club in Europe, apparently the worst one burnt down!!!!!!! :-)

moggle
-6th April 2005, 14:36
ooo wow, that just makes it better and better! tee hee, i'm only joking. honest. :confused:

pigeonmeister
-6th April 2005, 15:49
Originally posted by AussieMongrel
Where can you find the official rankings of clubs?? I have tried to find this before but there did not seem to be one posted anywhere.

You can't- there is no league that combines league, cup and individual results.

I unofficially decalared us 2nd best because we were unbeaten October 2003- March 2005 only then losing to Cambridge 1sts in the championship final. It's is not very difficult to state that Cambridge are the best- they have won the championship for last 5 years and won the premiership south for god knows how long. Whilst we started as a team not in the premiership we did win the midlands league and did beat all the premiership teams we fenced (excpt Cam) including Nottingham 1sts (prem north winners), Oxford 1sts and Northumbria. The other teams that could claim 2nd would be Bristol or Imperial, but Bristol lost to someone we beat (oxford) and Imperial have not beaten any premiership opposition, neither made it past L8 in championship.

If you look at the individual results however it is pretty even with Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial and Birmingham all getting 4 fencers to at least the L16. UCL and Manchester are both strong as well though.

Basically I just arbritarily declared us second, but with fairly convincing justification.

you can check here

championship (http://www.busa.org.uk/fl/cupoverv.asp?DivisionID=2844)

leagues (http://www.busa.org.uk/fl/fencing_leagues.asp)

individs (http://www.busa.org.uk/sport.asp?parent=20010001&section=0001000200010001&sport=2001000100360008)

D'Artignan
-6th April 2005, 17:33
Only 3rd best looking guys? Ohh *sighs*
Durham and Nothumbria look really good but don't have the course I want, only Dundee!
:grin: That would make us the front-runner then:tongue: :grin: :)

Dublte
-6th April 2005, 21:41
Yup, with alcohol fueled fencing, semi decent looking guys and a course I want what more could I wish for??

D'Artignan
-6th April 2005, 21:50
Yup, with alcohol fueled fencing, semi decent looking guys and a course I want what more could I wish for?? Exactly, and I may add, the fencing club was voted Team of the Year, and MakeTradeFair was voted Sportsman of the Year at the Sports Awards last month.

Dublte
-7th April 2005, 14:19
Congratulations. What a fine establishment it sounds.
Does fencing get a lot of funding? I never have any money as I fritter what I do have on ebay :upset:

D'Artignan
-7th April 2005, 19:57
I dunno, at the moment I only turn up when the club needs me for BUSA's etc., but MakeTradeFair or wannabe_foilist would be able to give you better info.

Dublte
-8th April 2005, 08:39
I will hopefully have full kit by university anyway - am planning on buying a mask asap.
Anyway Dundee here I come!

D'Artignan
-8th April 2005, 12:38
Dundee here I come! Knew you'd see sense!:)

mattv
-8th April 2005, 21:28
What is the standard of fencing like at scottish universities?

D'Artignan
-9th April 2005, 11:37
I would have to say the standard is variable. Some excellent fencers and some rubbish ones, but the Scottish Uni's seemed to do fairly well at BUSAs.

moggle
-10th April 2005, 13:49
I know that St Andrews have a pretty good team, but for the best fencing clubs I'd go for Edinburgh - EFC is a great club with loads of really talented Scottish fencers. If you check out www.busa.org.uk/fl you can see where they all finished in the leagues and championships.

Dublte
-10th April 2005, 15:51
Knew you'd see sense!:)

Hmm... Sense?? That's debatable.
It does sound like a good uni though and has the course I want.

I would have to say the standard is variable. Some excellent fencers and some rubbish ones
Think i'll be one of the rubbish ones! Might just tip the balance!

D'Artignan
-10th April 2005, 19:33
Think i'll be one of the rubbish ones! Might just tip the balance! One way to find out. Come up and have some fun!:grin: :grin: :grin:

Flemily
-11th April 2005, 00:25
I think theres been a huge mistake... nobody's considered good old aberystwyth here!!

Let's see we have...
*sheep...
*decent kit (most of the time!)
*the highest percentage of students to leave uni with an alcohol problem
*sheep...
*the sea!!!
*a very friendly club, with lots of drinking (and fencing!)
*sheep...
*some strange courses on offer... even the ones u can only find in america!
*sheep...
*we've just kicked ass in the women's western conference and have play-offs coming up for the premiership...(bring it on southampton!)
*beautiful sunsets
*a pound party in a different pub everynight of the week...
*and the same with kareoke...
*and also quizes!
*sheep....
and finally...*lots of red dragon mascots!

so aber it is then???
:grin: :grin: :grin:

check us out...

http://users.aber.ac.uk/club15/index.htm

gbm
-11th April 2005, 07:53
Originally posted by Flemily
*the sea!!!
*a very friendly club, with lots of drinking (and fencing!)

I can agree with the above at least as very good!!

Incidentally Aber just won the Universities of Wales Championships (or whatever it is called).

D'Artignan
-11th April 2005, 20:45
Originally posted by Flemily
I think theres been a huge mistake... nobody's considered good old aberystwyth here!!

Let's see we have...
*sheep...
*sheep...

*sheep...

*sheep...

*sheep....
So you're saying the best thing you guys have got is bestiality?

Dublte
-11th April 2005, 21:23
Got plenty of sea and sheep here - no bestiality though - thankgod!! Are you fond of sheep??

D'Artignan
-11th April 2005, 21:31
Me? Er, no, I prefer women.

J_D
-11th April 2005, 21:49
Got plenty of sea and sheep here - no bestiality though - thankgod!! Are you fond of sheep??

You've not been to Ventnor then?

Junkie
-11th April 2005, 22:16
"for the best fencing clubs I'd go for Edinburgh" - Edinburgh Uni fencing club is strong as well and the uni is great. What course is it that you want to do that only dundee offers?

D'Artignan
-11th April 2005, 22:21
Oi! Get your own new recruits! I worked hard to persuade her that Dundee's the place to go, much harder than I ever have on my coursework. Now you come in try to nick her away from us!:tongue: ;) :grin: :)

Dublte
-12th April 2005, 08:44
Originally posted by J_D

And what's wrong with Ventnor? I haven't been there in ages, the hoardes of heroine addicts with knives have scared me off.

Dublte
-12th April 2005, 08:50
Originally posted by J_D

And what's wrong with Ventnor? I haven't been there in ages, the hoardes of heroine addicts with knives have scared me off.

Originally posted by Junkie
"for the best fencing clubs I'd go for Edinburgh" - Edinburgh Uni fencing club is strong as well and the uni is great. What course is it that you want to do that only dundee offers?

So far only Dundee offers, mathmatical biology, most other universities put physics in it - which sucks.

Oi! Get your own new recruits! I worked hard to persuade her that Dundee's the place to go, much harder than I ever have on my coursework. Now you come in try to nick her away from us!:tongue: ;) :grin: :)

Dundee is still top of my list!!

Ok don't know what happened there but seem to have posted part of this twice?

stabber
-17th April 2005, 00:56
alrite dubtle,

sent u a PM re: masks for sale.... plz xheck it out.

apologies for invading this thread.

stabber

mozzar
-19th April 2005, 17:22

Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it. :rolleyes:

I'll be going to good old Aber this September. I've been fencing for a year or so - Aber was the place that got me interested after a summer course.

Once question about Aber: how many tournaments do you travel to?

bucket
-19th April 2005, 18:01
Right,

filling out postgraduate forms for next year (leaving Dundee).

D'art, I leave the task of winding Wannabe_foilist and MakeTradeFair up in your capable hands.

Left with a choice of three- where should I go ?

1. Vancouver -UBC
2. Cardiff
3. St. Andrews (yes I know they're the enemy, but they've got this PhD I'd kill for)

The courses are about the same, so it boils down to the fencing clubs.

any suggestions would be grateful

D'Artignan
-19th April 2005, 18:09
Bucket, wannabe_foilist is leaving as well. Apparently, MTF wants me to be the three weapon specialist next year:dizzy:

Go anywhere that'll take you.;) :tongue: :grin: :eek:

Nick_C
-20th April 2005, 00:06
Right,

filling out postgraduate forms for next year (leaving Dundee).

D'art, I leave the task of winding Wannabe_foilist and MakeTradeFair up in your capable hands.

1. Vancouver -UBC
2. Cardiff
3. St. Andrews (yes I know they're the enemy, but they've got this PhD I'd kill for)

The courses are about the same, so it boils down to the fencing clubs.

any suggestions would be grateful

Cardiff has a great club! Chris Markell is down there atm (sabreur). I was there for 3 years - it's a great university. There is a also a decent club in the city centre, plus Bridgend is 15 mins away (both Peter Stewart), plus Bristol/Bath (Neil Brown) not too far away.

On the other hand, my brother used to fence at ubc, and he said it's great.

gbm
-20th April 2005, 18:03
Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff. Come to Cardiff.

How good is Chris Markell then? I know he's got stripes, and I beat him today but he let me and I got the impression he could have hammered me 15-2 (or worse) if he hadn't been trying to get me to attack...

bucket
-21st April 2005, 14:15
That settles it.

If I get the grade (2.1) I'm off to Cardiff to fence and model molecules.

When I get there The first round's on me.

J_D
-21st April 2005, 14:56
And visitors to Bristol are always welcome, bring a mob over on a Tuesday/Friday evening

mattv
-21st April 2005, 15:30
Originally posted by mozzar
Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it. :rolleyes:

I'll be going to good old Aber this September. I've been fencing for a year or so - Aber was the place that got me interested after a summer course.

Once question about Aber: how many tournaments do you travel to?

For the majority of opens held during the terms, a few people from the club always like to go. Accommodation and travel are easily arranged.

Flemily
-22nd April 2005, 08:00
That settles it.

If I get the grade (2.1) I'm off to Cardiff to fence and model molecules.

When I get there The first round's on me.

Yay!! go to Cardiff 'cos then you get to come to Aber for the weekend for the Uni's of Wales Championship!! (you never know you might help them steal away our trophy...) I doubt it tho!!

:moon:

hokers
-22nd April 2005, 08:36

1. Vancouver -UBC
2. Cardiff

Got to be Vancouver. I did my second year at university there, and it was just fantastic, great place to live. Not that much fencing though, be warned. SFU has a strictly recreational club, I don't know about UBC but there was only one other club in the city when I was there. This is 8 years ago now admittedly. :(

nutz
-2nd May 2005, 10:04
Originally posted by mozzar
Once question about Aber: how many tournaments do you travel to? [/B]

we do really well for getting to lots of competitions, we go to lots of opens all over the country (recently been to birmingham international, nottingham, merseyside, plymouth).

Also we compete in BUSA fencing with 2 mens teams and one ladies team and we have our own club competition once a year (just had it last wk/end).

As if that wasn't enough (and when can you have enough fencing?) we also have a triangular competition between the uni, town club and old boys, and we have the university of wales championships which we have hosted for the past two years.

We have a specific person in the committee 'competitions secretary' who has to organise all of this (poor sod)!

strawberry
-2nd May 2005, 11:17
Yep, if you want to go to lots of competitions then Aber is a good uni to come to. We might be far from a lot of opens but we make it to the ones we can reach, and there's usually a fencer in the club local to the area.
We also are a very sociable bunch and have about 38 pubs all very close together. Isn't that a good enough reason to come here? :grin:

expent
-3rd May 2005, 13:39
For university clubs do they provide kit? ecause I have been told that for the Oxford one you need full electric kit and being unwaged I can't afford full kit, will hopefully get a nice mask with a picture of michael jackson on the front to distract opponants.

Oxford Fencing Club have a large cupboard of club kit, they seem to have more every time I pop back...

Libby
-3rd May 2005, 15:50
Hey everyone!

I think that this is where the Uni fc guide will come in useful as it covers all aspects of a club that you would want to know about including costs and what other support is available from the university. I'd really appreciate it if as many of you as possible who are putting up posts in reply to the initial request could go to www.busa.org.uk/fencing and fill in the appropriate form for your university and send it back to me at studentfencing@hotmail.com and then I can get the guide up and running! I don't think it will take that long and could help attract fencers to your uni.

Cheers

Libby

D'Artignan
-25th July 2005, 21:27
So, who's all coming up to smelly, sorry, lovely Dundee, then? You might even get to see me at some point next year!:cheers2:

Mats Clone
-2nd August 2005, 14:11
Ill b back for my 2nd Year :grin:

Club Secretary now :yesyes:

gonna be interesting to see what happens to our mens foil team considering u r now our only foilsit D'art

D'Artignan
-2nd August 2005, 14:23
Originally posted by Mats Clone
Ill b back for my 2nd Year :grin:

Club Secretary now :yesyes:

gonna be interesting to see what happens to our mens foil team considering u r now our only foilsit D'art It probably means we'll improve. I'm buggered if I know how we'll manage it, though. Hell, I might even have to train this season:upset:

Mats Clone
-2nd August 2005, 15:12
LoL so u not going to miss richard?

Well atleast it means we will all get to see you a bit more often. Some of this years newbies still have no idea who u r lol. they get confused when their is this random person finnishing in the top 3 of most tornaments competing for Dundee Uni lol

D'Artignan
-2nd August 2005, 15:21
I've only made 1 semi and 2 finals this season, and none of them were for the Uni! Though, having said that, I probably should have made the final of the Students' thingy.

And, yes I will miss Richard, mainly cos I'll have to swing a sabre again next year:upset:

Taylor
-6th August 2005, 17:27
Originally posted by Nick_C
Cardiff has a great club! Chris Markell is down there atm (sabreur). I was there for 3 years - it's a great university. There is a also a decent club in the city centre, plus Bridgend is 15 mins away (both Peter Stewart), plus Bristol/Bath (Neil Brown) not too far away.

On the other hand, my brother used to fence at ubc, and he said it's great.

The coach at cardiff uni is my coach Prof Pete Stewart (although somethimes he doesnt like to admit it! before he started coaching me he wasnt grey).
I didnt go to cardiff uni i went to U.W.I.C. (didnt do so good in my a-levels!!) but i was asked to go to the cardiff uni club once, and i was disapointed that pete spent the whole time sitting down twiddling his thumbs. i understand the fencers didnt wont to be set a hardcore training regime, after all its a bit of fun. But im not sure they realised how good a coach pete is. in my opinion he is the best epee coach in uk, and i just thought it was a shame that no one wanted a lesson. that was close to three years ago and i hope things have changed.

p.s. you dont just have to fence at the uni go to the cardiff club, wed and fri nights 8pm.