fencing.opens
-26th March 2005, 12:47
anyone going for LIUF in june?

D'Artignan
-29th March 2005, 19:15
What the hell is LIUF?

gbm
-29th March 2005, 19:38
London International Universities Fencing ?
(that's an educated guess BTW)

fencing.opens
-29th March 2005, 21:08
yes
hosted by UCL
been running about 7 years so
first day foil
second day epee and sabre
they have posted some threads on this forum last year and the year before
sponsored equipment by leon paul i think

surprisingly, i dun know if its common
but its a mixed competition too

D'Artignan
-29th March 2005, 21:14
Ok cheers guys.
Think I'll wait til someone posts a link to the website (assuming there is one) or an entry form before I commit to an answer.

Emma T
-29th March 2005, 21:45
I really want to go, just persudaing myself that it doesn't matter that I have an exam the Monday afterwards, hmmmm.... Oh well, fencing it is then!

My aim is to do better than last year (which shouldn't be too hard!)

Emma

D'Artignan
-29th March 2005, 21:47
Cheers for the PM Emma. Tried to reply but your inbox is full.

Emma T
-29th March 2005, 21:52
Sorry, didn't know it was that full!

Should be emptier now.

Captain Max
-31st March 2005, 11:58
Fantastic event BTW. Wish I could make it without going AWOL...

Ed Bennett at UCL is the man to talk to.

fencing.opens
-31st March 2005, 19:25
why? missing u at LIUF capt. max?

Captain Max
-1st April 2005, 11:20
People at work keep putting things on my desk. And then there's the TA... I haven't competed since Plymouth because I've been too busy :(

Juicy
-7th April 2005, 13:55
LIUF is great fun, but you have to be (amazingly enough) a student to enter - I'm surprised it hasn't been publicised so heavily this year, but will try and find out the exact date in the next couple of days and post details on the message board asap. Ed Bennett is prob not the best person to ask - try Andy (president) or Jules (treasurer) - pm me for email adds.

I'm going - and fencing, cause I don't need to organise stuff this year! :grin:

Emma T
-7th April 2005, 14:10
I think from the info I've seen foil is on Saturday 14th of June and Epee/sabre are on the Sunday... (Astrophysical Chemistry exam on the monday-can see it all going horribly wrong!)

nessyfencer
-21st April 2005, 09:26
And is this in London?

Juicy
-25th April 2005, 07:33
Yup - Somerstown, about 5-10 mins walk from Euston or Kings Cross Station.

mbyo15
-25th April 2005, 14:39
Hi,

This is Ed Bennett from UCL.

LIUF this year will be on the weekend of the 11th/12th June. As soon as I work out how to do it I'l stick the advert and entry forms up here ! It should be done by Wednesday 27th April 2005. Being a historian though, I am fairly illiterate when it comes to computers.

LIUF is organised by a sub committee of the UCL Union Fencing Club of which both Andy, Jules and I are on as well as Joss Matheson who is doing most of the work for it this year. Technically, Jules is now President following our AGM several weeks ago so its probably the transition period and exams which has led to people not knowing about it. I was in France last week fencing and there were a lot of Germans getting very anxious about when it was - but rest assured - all is under control !

I havn't been back to see who from abroad has entered yet but I am fairly sure that we will have teams from Italy and Germany comming this year and possibly France as well.

There should have been an advert for LIUF placed in 'The Sword' - I havn't received any copies of that publication for ages so if anyone has seen it please let me know !

That's all I can tell you for now - I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Ed

Captain Max
-3rd May 2005, 16:17
Originally posted by Captain Max
Ed Bennett at UCL is the man to talk to.

Well aren't I the man with connections...

mbyo15
-3rd May 2005, 16:38
Ooops I can see how you have interpreted that ! Didn't cross my mind to see it that way! I thought I was just clarifying a position -makes life easier :) We do are doing well though internationally. Since yesterday I have had commitments from Ireland and Switzerland and we already have teams from Germany, France, Italy, Poland, Russia and the Netherlands ! All is looking good so far !

Nick_C
-5th May 2005, 11:03
Can someone PM me the relevent files please? Thanks

Is there a results list up anywhere - to get an idea of numbers and standard?

Thanks

Captain Max
-6th May 2005, 12:20
Well Nick, last year I came 17th in the foil and won the epee plate after four hours sleep and a long pub crawl. It's very much a fun event with competitors having a wide range of standards.

gbm
-8th May 2005, 16:56
Damn - you've made it clash with Wrexham. Well that's even more ranking points gone...

Captain Max
-9th May 2005, 07:50
You think that's bad- I have four different events in my diary that weekend. It's not all jollies being a lawyer patriot and hero...

mbyo15
-13th May 2005, 17:58
The LIUF 2005 Website is now up at

www.liuf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Please spread the word !

LIUF Committee