PDA

View Full Version : No more World Cadets?

tigger
-4th April 2005, 08:28
I've now heard the rumour that the FIE are planning to abandon the World Cadet Championships after Korea next year from 3 or 4 different people...anyone know if this is true? and if so what on earth the reasoning behind it is?

Sounds like another good FIE plan for the development of the sport...!

Boo Boo
-4th April 2005, 08:41
Originally posted by tigger
I've now heard the rumour that the FIE are planning to abandon the World Cadet Championships after Korea next year from 3 or 4 different people...anyone know if this is true? and if so what on earth the reasoning behind it is?

Had heard, from several sources, that this year may have been the last cadet world championships (only junior next year?)...

Boo

Australian
-4th April 2005, 09:46

Sounds like another good FIE plan for the development of the sport...!

its not a rumour, its a fact.

Roch introduced the idea at the meeting in Linz. Subject to ratification at congress in November, this will have been the last cadet world championships.

The reason: Its too expensive. Too many fencers. This means more pistes and equipment required, as well as referees that have to be flown in, accomodation provided for, and a daily allowance of 40ish Euro. Cut out half the referees and half the days the others will be required and the competition becomes a lot cheaper. The reason he has done this is due to the lack of federations bidding for the tournament.

The cadet competitions will be turned into regional championships. Each zone hosting their own.

Bit of a shame really.

Oh, and the Koreans did not appear concerned about not hosting the cadet worlds.

pinkelephant
-4th April 2005, 09:49
I've also heard that the trade-off mught be to extend the number of fencers per country in the Junior to 4 - this would enable the team seeding to be done on all 4 fencers instead of just three. Of course, it wouldn't help GB if we can't get 4 actually qualified.

tigger
-4th April 2005, 10:03
I think if this is ratified (which of course it almost certainly will be ) that it's an absolute tragedy for World Youth fencing.

There may be funding problems with the event - but there are ways around that:

Increase entry fees/reduce the number of fencers/introduce a zonal qualfication system/hold the cadet champs seperatley from the Juniors. and that's just what I thought of in the last 10 seconds...

The usual lack of imagination and shortsightedness from Roch and the FIE

I hope that our federation will strongly oppose this move?

Barry Paul
-4th April 2005, 16:05
The problem is the the large numbers with 1000 competitors the joint event is 10% of the size of the Olympics (10,000 competitors costing 5Billion.)

Marcos
-4th April 2005, 16:27
get the organisers of the public schools involved!

Insipiens
-4th April 2005, 18:26
just cancel one of renee's lavish and extravagant receptions as reported in escrime.
seriously I think this would be awful.

Baldric
-4th April 2005, 19:19
Originally posted by Barry Paul
The problem is the the large numbers with 1000 competitors the joint event is 10% of the size of the Olympics (10,000 competitors costing 5Billion.)

Barry - please! Lies, damned lies and statistics?

What point are you trying to make with this juxtaposition of figures? Are you are suggesting that the cost is 10% of the cost of the olympics? If so - please forward my bid to run the whole she-bang, I reckon I could do it easily for less than your projected 500 million!

The PSFC had nearly as many competitors! From an organisational and financial point of view (by the standards of a world sport) 1000 competitors is chicken-sh*t

PM1
-4th April 2005, 19:37
The last few comments I had been told (by various peeps) were - Korea 06 goes ahead; Turkey 07 MIGHT but if it does, it's the last :( Then, I heard cadet worlds would carry on, and always be in Europe... and before THAT, I heard it would be a european only set up....The consistent themes were:

1) cadets and Juniors ain't long to be held at the same time
2) it's too expensive and too much hassle (for someone....)
3) Roch wants change

If we could fix a cadet circuit like there's a junior circuit.....

Oh, B*****ks :mad: it's just NOT FAIR :mad: :mad: :mad:

PM1
-4th April 2005, 19:46
Oh - another comment was apparently to change the time of the comp - possibly before Christmas - nicley mucking up the season. Again....:tongue:

Foilling Around
-4th April 2005, 20:02
I've never met this Roch guy or even seen him, but why does international sport get such people in charge. Eg Ecclestone, Samaranche et al.
(got to be careful about liable here)

I have to say however that the world championship should be the culmination of something. Senior and U20 have the A grade circuit. Cadet however do not have a circuit. Tigger has suggected that such a thing is set up. and I agree.

I will be mightily brassed off if they pull the plug before the 2006 event.

tigger
-5th April 2005, 08:49
It would make sense to hold the World events on a 3 year cycle:

EG - Moldovia wants to hold the 2010 Senior Worlds, so in 2008 they host the cadets, 2009 the U20s, and in 2010 the Seniors. Once it was rolling it would be straightforward, the facilities would be there and the poor cadets would get used as guinea pigs for the other events, but at least they'd have a Worlds!

Meneldil
-5th April 2005, 09:06
tigger: What about those cadets who would 'miss' their year? Those who are 14/15 one world cup and so unlikely to qualify and who are 17/18, and so too old, the next. Same goes for juniors, and unless my maths is completely wrong, those who miss 'their' cadets would also miss 'their' juniors...

Australian
-5th April 2005, 09:47
Originally posted by Meneldil
tigger: What about those cadets who would 'miss' their year? Those who are 14/15 one world cup and so unlikely to qualify and who are 17/18, and so too old, the next. Same goes for juniors, and unless my maths is completely wrong, those who miss 'their' cadets would also miss 'their' juniors...

there would still be a cadet/junior/senior worlds every year... just in different cities

Meneldil
-5th April 2005, 09:51
Ah right, I think I understand now... Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Glue Boy
-5th April 2005, 12:42
anything as long as we get a World Champs! :(

Australian
-5th April 2005, 22:50
Originally posted by Glue Boy
anything as long as we get a World Champs! :(

the only official thing i've heard is that it is likely to become a zonal championship...

i.e. for you lot it would be european cadet championships etc.

Whether that then qualifies for a smaller world championships is pure speculation.

pinkelephant
-7th April 2005, 16:17
Austria must be feeling rich - this season they've had the World Vets, Junior & Cadet Worlds, and have the European Vets next month.

MiniMelia
-7th April 2005, 23:26
I hope they don't stop running the cadet worlds, because I would like to even be able to have the chance of qualifying for it. Even if I didnt actually qualify at least I could've, it's a good competition to prepare cadets for the kind of competitions they/we will face in the juniors.

I also hope these 'cadet circuit' ideas go through, it ould be good to have a circuit, world ranking list, the works, like the juniors have.

All would be good to see.

You know alot of what i'm reading on the forum these days is *****ing about Rene Roch, why not get pertitions and stuff like that up to 'important' people in the B.F.A. and other people to try and get him sacked? Would be good to see.

Rant over :grin:

MiniMelia.

Boo Boo
-7th April 2005, 23:32
Originally posted by MiniMelia
You know alot of what i'm reading on the forum these days is *****ing about Rene Roch, why not get pertitions and stuff like that up to 'important' people in the B.F.A. and other people to try and get him sacked? Would be good to see.

I think that quite a few people at the BFA read this forum and are very aware of people's opinions.

Personally, I think we should all club together and take a contract out on Mr Roch ;) (or at least a horses head in his bed...). I honestly am beginning to get the impression that Rene Roch is trying to kill off fencing, not help it grow... :rolleyes: :confused: :(

Yes, the cadet circuit would be fantastic. Hopefully they will see sense and keep the cadet world championships... I think that cadet champs and A-grades are a fantastic opportunity for young fencers.

Boo

MiniMelia
-8th April 2005, 21:02
Yeah would be a good opportunity for young fencers, I would like it anyway lol.

e should go and poke Roch in the head. All of us at once ould hurt :grin:

.....Just me then? Lol

MiniMelia.

Boo Boo
-8th April 2005, 21:20
e should go and poke Roch in the head. All of us at once ould hurt :grin:

You go ahead....we are right behind you ;)

MiniMelia
-10th April 2005, 22:13
Good to know you've always got my back :grin:

I think we should elect a new FIE president and just put Roch in a home somewhere with some M n M's. We should get someone who when they say they want fencing to evolve not shut down big events.....might work don't you think?

Anyone else got any suggestions?

MiniMelia.

tigger
-11th April 2005, 08:24

A Cornish death squad wielding 2 month old pasties?

gbm
-11th April 2005, 08:58
A Cornish death squad wielding 2 month old pasties?

I like it. :cool:

D'Artignan
-11th April 2005, 10:39
The cold haggis getting bandied about to the newbies in the Scottish team?

Aidyboy
-18th April 2005, 16:52
I hope they don't stop running the cadet worlds, because I would like to even be able to have the chance of qualifying for it. Even if I didnt actually qualify at least I could've, it's a good competition to prepare cadets for the kind of competitions they/we will face in the juniors.

I also hope these 'cadet circuit' ideas go through, it ould be good to have a circuit, world ranking list, the works, like the juniors have.

All would be good to see.

Rant over :grin:

MiniMelia.
ditto ditto ditto, agree 100%!:grin:

rugmike
-19th April 2005, 08:53
OOPS ! Just realised I've staarted this thread on "sabre" - only heard the rumour last night ! Sorry jon! Shows you should always read all the forum !!