PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Uni

Emma T
-9th April 2005, 17:33
Yesterday I got an offer to transfer to Bristol starting next academic year (after the whole Exeter chemistry fiasco!). I'm quite happy now, but weirdly enough won't actually be going there until Oct 2006 as I have an industrial placement 1st (up Oxford way-as an aside does anyone know of any good clubs (aside from the uni) over that way).

Anyway, as I'd quite like to do the BUSA individuals and University novices this year I'd like to contact Bristol fencing club about some form of membership for the next academic year. But I can't contact details anywhere, so I was wondering if someone could help me on that front. It would also be nice to know a bit about what they're clubs like, especially the girl's side of things.

Thanks

Boo Boo
-9th April 2005, 18:09
The university club website is at http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Union/Fencing/index.html

The club is very friendly - very nice bunch of people and very sociable too.

They have a footwork/fitness session on Monday evening followed by a beginners session. Fencing and lessons on Tuesday afternoon. Team matches or training on Wednesday afternoon. Fencing and lessons on Friday afternoons. Coach (3 weapons) is Neil Brown and I think that most people get one lesson a week.

The girls team made the L8 (going out to Cambridge) of the main BUSA (premier) league.

I have an email address for a contact at the club, but I will PM it to you rather than post it here...

Boo

J_D
-9th April 2005, 18:11
.....and dno't forget that Bristol FC run on Tuesday and Friday nights if you want to get some more fencing in :grin:

Boo Boo
-9th April 2005, 18:19
Originally posted by J_D
.....and dno't forget that Bristol FC run on Tuesday and Friday nights if you want to get some more fencing in :grin:

Bristol FC website - http://www.bristolfencingclub.com/

Ooops, forgot that part of the question - there is Bath Sword on Mondays and Thursdays (better/stronger night) too... that is held at Bath University - http://www.bathswordclub.co.uk/ (website a BIT out of date though...)

Boo

vil
-10th April 2005, 01:17
Originally posted by Emma T
(up Oxford way-as an aside does anyone know of any good clubs (aside from the uni) over that way).
It's been a few years since I lived in Oxford, but the Zodiac was pretty good and the Cellar had some great nights... Oh, wait. You mean fencing clubs. :confused:

Reading is only about half an hour from Oxford. If you're an epeeist, that'd probably be your best option as it seems to be one of the country's stronger clubs. I've noticed a few fencers from Abingdon (5-10 mins south of Oxford) in the rankings lists too.

edwin
-10th April 2005, 17:33
I had already been looking at Abingdon, so that's good.

Thanks for everything about Bristol too-its been very useful.

Emma as edwin

amanda
-11th April 2005, 22:14
I'm a member of the uni fencing club, its a great club and very friendly. I am currently in third year but am staying in bristol to do another degree. So will be around in bristol for a bit longer!

Mr C
-12th April 2005, 19:22
Hi, I'm at Bristol uni at the moment and will be about again next year. We have a strong club with the men in the premiership playoffs and the women the same. Plenty of coaching with Neil Brown and Tristan Parris runs footwork and fitness sessions once a week. Other than that were a pretty social bunch, and we're sponsored by the local pub, which is handy.

There's usually a fairly big group going up to the individuals each year so that shouldn't be a problem.

Fencing here is pretty cheap, 25 for the year usually, but you will also have to get membership of the sports centre or it will cost you 3 per session (adds up to a lot at 3 sessions a week). You will need to contact the university about that should you decide to come.

Best of luck with your exams, Dave

Emma T
-13th April 2005, 09:44
Thanks. I only need to pass this year, so fingers crossed it sholudn't be a problem! I don't think I'd actually make any fencing sessions next year as I'd be in Oxford for all of it, but I would like to be a member of the club so I can do the Uni individuals at weekends etc. The fencing at Bristol is sounding good!

J_D
-13th April 2005, 10:02
Originally posted by amanda
I'm a member of the uni fencing club, its a great club and very friendly. I am currently in third year but am staying in bristol to do another degree. So will be around in bristol for a bit longer!

Hi Amanda,

was that you fencing at BFC last night?

amanda
-13th April 2005, 11:36
yep, that was me fencing foil last nite, went along for the first time last nite (after fencing at uni!) with a friend who does epee. Everyone was very friendly and I was introduced to quite a few people, but can never remember names!!

J_D
-13th April 2005, 13:38
It's easy to remember names at Bristol, most of the guys are called John, or Jon, or Jean, or Johnny (6or 7 of us I think!); currently leader in the ladies is Ruth: there are three so far.

I was the short old one with funny eyes who (kind of) fenced epee with your friend as well as foil. Didn't get to fence you though we were introduced.