PDA

View Full Version : What sport to try now...

Sasori
-20th June 2003, 14:38
Ok, so started as a conversation in the pub last night. I've finished fencing for the season, and am taking a couple of months off coaching too, how do I fill my time now?

This is a list of the sports I kinda fancy, has anyone tried any of them? If so do you recommend them? Where can I try them in the central belt?

rory
-20th June 2003, 14:44
This is a list of the sports I kinda fancy

Er, what is?

Muso440
-20th June 2003, 16:47
How can anyone *bear* giving up fencing for the whole summer?!

Luckily my club keeps going.

Hudson
-20th June 2003, 17:14
looking forward to hacking up the local gold fairways when i get back in about 14 days :grin:

nessyfencer
-20th June 2003, 22:00
try horseriding, i love it!!!

Rdb811
-21st June 2003, 00:54
Croquet (snooker on acid) or karting.

oiuyt
-21st June 2003, 03:28
Disc keeps you in shape for fencing and is great cross-training during the season. My team plays ultimate once/week through the school year.

-B :)

Gav
-21st June 2003, 09:00
I voted for shinty cos I know u don't need your teeth anyway.

Aoife
-21st June 2003, 17:30
Basketball's good fun. One of the few sports I ever enjoyed in PE (that and badminton, which is fun too).

Mind you, I like basketball because after eight years of netball, I still hadn't learn the rules, so it was great to play a game like netball but without the rules (and INDOORS! :) )

Out of that list I chose climbing, I've done it a few times, and always enjoyed it. I've always done it outside on natural rocks though, so I don't know what it's like on a climbing wall.

Most fun I've had with a 'sport' besides fencing is gorge walking (don't think it counts as a sport, but it's excellent all the same). I really recommend it to anybody who doesn't mind getting all wet! :grin:

Hudson
-21st June 2003, 20:07
a bit of ten pin bowling with a few beers is a great way to relax, as long as you don't hit the back of your knee with the bloody ball that is.

Rdb811
-22nd June 2003, 20:15
Originally posted by Aoife
Basketball's good fun.

Absolute hatred of basketball - nobody would ever pass to me.

Rdb811
-22nd June 2003, 20:17
Originally posted by Hudson
a bit of ten pin bowling with a few beers is a great way to relax, as long as you don't hit the back of your knee with the bloody ball that is.

We go ten-pn boling fairly oetn as a social event when we're not fencing - it still works as an event if only a couple of people turn up. I've improved over the years - except that the brother of one of our lot urns out to be a wizard despite being nearly half blind.

twohappyhippos
-22nd June 2003, 21:14
"a bit of ten pin bowling with a few beers is a great way to relax, as long as you don't hit the back of your knee with the bloody ball that is."

or ACCIDENTLY let go of the ball the wrong way and end up sending it backwards rather than foreward. :rolleyes: because the people at the bowling place dont have balls the right size for my ickle fingers so it just slips. not that ive ever done anything like that :confused:
apart from that bowling is good fun!!!!

Jambo
-23rd June 2003, 08:55
Climbing! Definitley climbing. Good fun, and as much or more adrenalin rushes as fencing. Gives you a six pack too!

Hudson
-23rd June 2003, 09:31
When i went to a club in Hull a few years ago, we went for a club night at Lazer Quest, that was a good laugh.

Sasori
-23rd June 2003, 14:11
Originally posted by rory
Er, what is?

The Poll at the top of the page dumb@$$:tongue: :moon:

Sasori
-23rd June 2003, 14:13
Originally posted by Muso440
How can anyone *bear* giving up fencing for the whole summer?!

Luckily my club keeps going.

Cos coaching 3 nights a week is too much! Especially when it's at 35oC, and 80% humidity, and you're looking out the huge windows of RCP in Edinburgh, onto the sun shining on the Crags...

Sasori
-23rd June 2003, 14:15
Originally posted by nessyfencer
try horseriding, i love it!!!

Tried that, have horses, want something for me to run around, not get something else to do all the work!

Same goes for 10 pin, good fun, but not athletic enough for what I want.

Basketball is inside, so it's out. (pun intended)

It's really between Frisbee and climbling then, as all the shinty clubs I've found in Edinburgh close for the summer!

haggis
-23rd June 2003, 17:40
Bowls - probably best for you:tongue:

Shinty - would love to see you give it a go

Ultimate - seriously probably your best bet

Muso440
-23rd June 2003, 19:17
Originally posted by Sasori
Especially when it's at 35oC, and 80% humidity, and you're looking out the huge windows of RCP in Edinburgh, onto the sun shining on the Crags...

Does it get to 35 degrees in Edinburgh?!

Muso440
-23rd June 2003, 19:20
Originally posted by Jambo
Gives you a six pack too!

Hmmm, don't think I want a six pack thanks Jambo. :confused:

And I don't like climbing either. Not since I nearly killed myself the first time I went on a 'real' piece of rock (as opposed to a climbing wall). But then I'm just a girl.... :girl1:

Urban Spaceman
-23rd June 2003, 21:31
Go climbing and leave chalky handprints all over the picturesque countryside.
;)

haggis
-23rd June 2003, 23:09
Does it get to 35 degrees in Edinburgh?!

Fahrenheit, regularly.

Centigrade - only if it's sunny outside and you're in a small hall next to a swimming pool and the building is primarily glass, i.e. exactly Sasori's summer coaching conditions. No wonder Sasori looked so poorly at Inverclyde (although other explanations are possible)

Rdb811
-23rd June 2003, 23:37
[B Gives you a six pack too! [/B]

What - there free beer at mountain tops ???.

I once got a free four pack of Fosters when Surrey beat Lancashire at a Sunday League match - good job, as despite being of the Red Rose persuasion, Lancashire's sponsore were Norweb - I didn't fancy quequing up for an electric shock.

Jambo
-24th June 2003, 12:06

And I don't like climbing either. Not since I nearly killed myself the first time I went on a 'real' piece of rock (as opposed to a climbing wall). But then I'm just a girl.... :girl1:

Nearly killing yourself is half the point. Its the "nearly" thats important!

As for six packs, it gives you a much better figure than fencing ever will. None of this asymetrical ridiculousness!

Muso440
-29th June 2003, 19:56
Nearly killing yourself is half the point. Its the "nearly" thats important!

Nah, I think I'll just stick to being stabbed with a blunted sword thanks. :)

Aoife
-30th June 2003, 20:56
My second time rock climbing, (I've been twice, both on natural rocks) had a wonderful moment, as the instructor called up that I should be able to see a carrabina [sic] soon, and I looked around to find it, only to realise I'd gone a good 7 feet above it, and I was therefore no on any kind of saftey rope at that moment. Whoopsy. :)

jerry
-30th June 2003, 21:33
Never done climbing but would love to.

I intend to join my local archery club sometime in the near future, i think its another cool classy sport like fencing. Obviously you need great concentration and control but without all the physical exertion of most other sports.

Also as its summer, get yourself a professional kite-you can get ones that stack on top of each other, you wear a body harness and wrist straps. It's amazing, if you get a skateboard or a sit-in buggy, you can be pulled along at mega speeds. Look up the flexifoil web site.

Kite flying has really taken off again (no pun intended!) nowadays as the pro kites are made out of the latest materials and of the latest technology, someone I know is into it and its a mega rush (of blood to the head...!) "...closing walls and ticking clocks-yaoooooooo-ahhhhhhhhh" Sorry-coldplay fan, couldn't help myself!

:cool: jez

Tubby
-1st July 2003, 17:15
Climbing - the mind is willing the body and gravity have other ideas.............

Aoife
-1st July 2003, 21:21
Archery's good. Did it last summer before I started fencing. Careful not to thwak it off your arm though- worse bruises than I get from fencing then! :grin:

Mantis
-1st July 2003, 22:18
I tried archery once too and I seem to remember that there is a piece of equipment that covers your arm precicely for that reason. I bet you are one of these people who doesn't wear a plastron as well. ;)

For some reason I found that at university all the people who went along to the athletics fair at the start of the year to try something new either did fencing or archery but no one every did both. I never understood why.

Rdb811
-1st July 2003, 22:37
I tried archery once when I was 13 - I wasn't bad at it. Haven't felt any great desire to do it again.

I'll keep plugging croquet.

Aoife
-2nd July 2003, 08:30
I tried archery once too and I seem to remember that there is a piece of equipment that covers your arm precicely for that reason. I bet you are one of these people who doesn't wear a plastron as well.

Oh I wore the leather arm thingy, it just didn;t work very well.

(and I DO wear a plastron! I've been the only person in my club with one for some time :tongue: )

Marcos
-2nd July 2003, 12:00
you're a sabreur aren't you - horse riding makes sense then

but if you fenced Epee then I'd say shooting,

and foil - well, fly fishing....

jerry
-2nd July 2003, 13:46
I'll keep plugging croquet. [/B][/QUOTE]

How about now then?!

Yes I have picked up on the fact that you enjoy this alot-how and where on earth do you find people who want to play croquet?!

I thought it was something you saw on Blue Peter when they are educating our british kids about Henry VIII!!! :grin:

Cheetara
-2nd July 2003, 14:04
For some reason I found that at university all the people who went along to the athletics fair at the start of the year to try something new either did fencing or archery but no one every did both. I never understood why.

Girlie sabruer who used to be at York does fencing AND archery (You can probably guess who I mean)

The first time I tried archery I hit by bow holding inner elbow twice with the bowstring as I released it. As I hadn't got the art of keeping that arm bent. It came up with the most impressive bruise I've ever had, (apart from maybe when I sprained my ankle that was pretty too.)

Tubby
-2nd July 2003, 16:36
my girlie wife won the "Biggest Bruise" trophy on holiday in San Antonio after an archery session, no idea (unless thats what she was after, that and the trophy and a bottle of local champers and unlimited "consoling" cuddles from the tanned muscly french accented instructor, hmmmmmmmmm:confused: )

Rdb811
-2nd July 2003, 23:07
Originally posted by jerry

Yes I have picked up on the fact that you enjoy this alot-how and where on earth do you find people who want to play croquet?!
[/B]

www.croquet.org.uk - about the second listing on Google - from there I found Dulwich Sports Club - but there quite a lot of small lawns dotted around in odd places that aren't listed by the CA, usually as part of other clubs.

Gav
-3rd July 2003, 05:44
Centigrade - only if it's sunny outside and you're in a small hall next to a swimming pool and the building is primarily glass, i.e. exactly Sasori's summer coaching conditions.

We call that conditioning...

No wonder Sasori looked so poorly at Inverclyde (although other explanations are possible)

Nah, Sasori just looks like that! ;)

jerry
-3rd July 2003, 08:27
Originally posted by Rdb811
www.croquet.org.uk - about the second listing on Google - from there I found Dulwich Sports Club - but there quite a lot of small lawns dotted around in odd places that aren't listed by the CA, usually as part of other clubs.

Good grief this man is serious! They got about 120 clubs in england and I looked up a mallet costing a whopping 214 pounds-its a solomon tuftex mallet no less so no wonder!!! :grin:

Sadly, not a club near me Rdb so will keep it in mind for now-looks good fun though. Didn't know there were two type of croquet but then one potato tends to look like another!!! :tongue:

Aoife
-3rd July 2003, 22:09
my girlie wife won the "Biggest Bruise" trophy on holiday in San Antonio after an archery session, no idea (unless thats what she was after, that and the trophy and a bottle of local champers and unlimited "consoling" cuddles from the tanned muscly french accented instructor, hmmmmmmmmm:confused: )

Hmmmmmn.... where is this archery club in San Antonio? I feel like I need a well deserved holiday :grin: