PDA

View Full Version : Duel on the Beach 2005

tigger
-12th April 2005, 08:39
Duel on the Beach 2005

Taking place over the August Bank Holiday Saturday, the UK's premier beach fencing event :grin: will feature lots of sand, bikinis, alcohol, sun and oil...the usual massive barbecue will take place on Saturday night...

The line up so far is:

FOIL
Truro A
Truro B
Nottingham Cavaliers A
Nottingham Cavaliers B
Portsmouth
British Veterans
Swindon
UCL
Bath Sword

SABRE
Truro A
Truro B
Nottingham Cavaliers
Portsmouth
British Veteran's
Swindon
Bath Sword
Laszlo's
??Hunt Roeder (the Allan Jay fanclub)??

Teams consist of 3 fencers with at least 1 woman.
It is POSSIBLE that we may be adding a 4th piste, and therefore will be able to have 3 more teams in each weapon. It could be feasible to add epee if people are willing to fence on Sunday as well.

Any thoughts people?

Streatham have reserved a place in both weapons, so if anyone else would like to take part given the chance, post here - first come first served! Entry fee is 30 per team. Exceptions are made for the founding teams, Nottingham Cavaliers and Portsmouth, who have lifetime free entry.

We have booked in the sunshine, and guarantee another legendary weekend..!

fitch
-12th April 2005, 09:48
where is it?

tigger
-12th April 2005, 10:00
Sorry - I forgot there might be 1 or 2 people left on the planet who didn't know where it was;)

It's on Perranporth Beach, Perranporth, Cornwall.

colliebeast
-12th April 2005, 10:19
We'll definatly be back!

tigger
-13th April 2005, 08:02
Duel on the Beach 2005

Latest line-up

FOIL
Truro A
Truro B
Nottingham Cavaliers A
Nottingham Cavaliers B
Portsmouth
British Veterans
Swindon
UCL
Bath Sword
+ provisionally
Guildford
Streatham
Bristol Fencing Club

SABRE
Truro A
Truro B
Nottingham Cavaliers
Portsmouth
British Veteran's
Swindon
Bath Sword
Laszlo's
Hunt Roeder
+ Provisionally
Guildford
Hynes/Morrison/Wesley/Moore - team name TBA!
Team Orhnial

Provisonally EPEE
Truro A
Truro B
British Veterans
Bath Sword
Streatham
Guildford
Swindon
Notts Cavaliers
Portsmouth

Rdb811
-13th April 2005, 22:45
Thanks - we could provide more epeeists if needed

tigger
-14th April 2005, 10:15
1 provisional Epee place still available...

PROVISIONAL LINE-UP

FOIL
Truro A
Truro B
Nottingham Cavaliers A
Nottingham Cavaliers B
Portsmouth
British Veterans
Swindon
London Universities
Bath Sword

Provisional extra teams
Guildford
Streatham
Bristol Fencing Club

SABRE
Truro A
Truro B
Nottingham Cavaliers
Portsmouth
British Veteran's
Swindon
Bath Sword
Laszlo's
Hunt Roeder OR London Universities

Provisional extra teams
Civil Service
Guildford
Hynes/Morrison/Wesley/Moore - team name TBA!

Provisonal EPEE teams
Truro A
Truro B
British Veterans
Bath Sword
Streatham
Guildford
Swindon
Notts Cavaliers
Portsmouth
Civil Service
London Universities
A N OTHER

Entry fee is 30 per team
Date - Saturday August 27th and Sunday August 28th
Venue The Beach, Perranporth, Cornwall!

Winwaloe
-19th April 2005, 14:22
Any foil places left?

J_D
-19th April 2005, 14:47
Originally posted by Winwaloe
Any foil places left?

Well, if Bristol get their provisional allocation, any team places are already filled!

Maybe the odd reserve position in exchange for a significant beer contribution :tongue: :cool: :grin:

randomsabreur
-19th April 2005, 14:57
Anyone want a WS fencer for their teams???

Winwaloe
-19th April 2005, 16:48
Originally posted by J_D
Well, if Bristol get their provisional allocation, any team places are already filled!

Maybe the odd reserve position in exchange for a significant beer contribution :tongue: :cool: :grin:

Skinners?

GCM
-12th July 2005, 18:26
What's this I hear about a change of date!
I'm told the weekend before August Bank holiday.
I've already got my hotel booked & paid for, guess I'll now loose my deposit.

Anyone have any more information?

Exgeordielass
-12th July 2005, 19:38
We are not taking part but were looking forward to coming along to the BBQ on the Saturday night.
More information please Tigger.

Foilling Around
-12th July 2005, 20:50
Originally posted by GCM
What's this I hear about a change of date!
I'm told the weekend before August Bank holiday.
I've already got my hotel booked & paid for, guess I'll now loose my deposit.

Anyone have any more information?

No idea (Gav is it!) please elaborate where you heard this. I'm just about to book a campsite.

GCM
-12th July 2005, 21:33
Yes it is Gav Paul.

Just had email forwarded to me by LW, extract below.

No more info as to why. I've spocken to LW, it has come as a bit of a blow as most have already booked accomodation, and will probably now loose deposit. We will have to see if those confirmed as going can still make it.

"Due to some unforeseen circumstances the 2005 Duel on the Beach date has been moved from August 27th to August 20th. We apologise if this has caused any inconvenience to you and your team, but for the event to run as smoothly as it has in previous years it was absolutely necessary for us to change the date."

A long way to go when most will have to travel back on Sunday now rather than on the Bank holiday, due to work commitments.

I think I will still be able to go, but am in the process of moving house, and if completion is delayed by a week will clash.

We can discuss at EM AGM on Friday, hopefully LW will have contacted everyone by then to see if we can still field teams as planned.

Tarmac
-12th July 2005, 22:16
Damn.. my friend's getting married on the 20th.
Will have to miss DotB :upset: :upset:

tigger
-14th July 2005, 12:08
Hi all

Apologies for this.

We have had to move the Duel for a few reasons - the main one being that one of the 2 organisers is now away working on 27th. Another reason being that we would not have been able to do any preparation on the beach on the Friday 26th, which wo9uld have created a logistical nightmare.

There is NO epee event. The foil and sabre events will take place on Saturday 20th August. The teams involved are ONLY the following:

Foil
Truro A
Truro B
Nottingham Cavaliers A
Nottingham Cavaliers B
Portsmouth
London Universities
Bath Sword Club
GB Veterans
Swindon FC

Sabre
Truro A
Truro B
Nottingham Cavaliers
Bath Sword
Portsmouth
GB Veterans
Swindon
Laszlos
Hynes & Co

I'm very sorry for this inconvenience - I realise it is a pain, but unfortunately was unavoidable.

If you have a serious problem reclaiming deposits from hotels or finding accommodation for the new date please get in touch and we'll see if we can help

Jon

strawberry
-14th July 2005, 16:23
Hopefully I'll be back in Cornwall by then to come and have a look. :)

tigger
-16th July 2005, 23:17
Am a bit concerned I haven't heard from any Swindonites about the date change....I emailed Neil and Richard but no reply.

Please PM or email me if you're a Swindon fencer to let me know all is OK.

Thanks...

ChubbyHubby
-21st August 2005, 16:31
Some photos from the weekend.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=117g7l27.nf0p9wn&Uy=-g3a6am&Ux=1

Great weekend, even though Boo is still sulking and hasn't forgiven me for turning a 9 hit lead into being 3 hits behind in 2 mins.

It was a great weekend (that particular brain fart moment aside for me), very well orgainised by the Truro lot. The BBQ and raffle was great too!

The cross eyed cow (the raffle prize not Boo!) is now renamed Moo and will grace the parcel shelf of the car...

PM1
-21st August 2005, 16:54
Obviously foul weather, then.....:( didn't see any babies to hug, either.....so I didn't miss much :rolleyes: Good job I had so much beetlejuice work to do here for tomorrow's court in Lincoln, I'd say.....:tongue:

Hope it's back to Bank Holiday w/e and epee next year, then we'll come down and ensure rain :grin: :grin: :grin:

Boo Boo
-21st August 2005, 16:55
Originally posted by ChubbyHubby
Great weekend, even though Boo is still sulking and hasn't forgiven me for turning a 9 hit lead into being 3 hits behind in 2 mins.

Oh well, it (probably) only cost us the difference between winning and coming second... :rolleyes: :confused: :upset:

I think, after several years of marriage councilling, I will probably talk to him again (forgiveness is a totally different matter... ;) )

very well orgainised by the Truro lot. The BBQ and raffle was great too!

Absolutely fantastic - so many thanks to Jon, Richard and the rest of the Truro fencers/helpers who worked so very hard to do everything. They must all be COMPLETELY shattered! We really enjoyed it :)

The cross eyed cow (the raffle prize not Boo!)

It was very difficult to distinguish us for some parts of Saturday... :o:

is now renamed Moo and will grace the parcel shelf of the car...

I know, what class... :)

One of the funny moments of yesterday was a Dad and his kids standing beside the piste I was fencing at. Dad was explaining to his kids that "no it really doesn't hurt, they wear all of that protective clothing" as Pat Robbins was was recovering on the floor of the piste after I had just floored him with a (rather nice, but not intentional) hit to his solar plexus.... :o:

Boo

P.S. Massage man on the beach was FAB!

PM1
-21st August 2005, 17:01
Why on EARTH did you fence in the same team, Boo??? You might have known this might have hapenned.......or does it mean that he now owes you an even BIGGER "forgive me" present, hmm??

As for organisers, I would bank on Tig and gang making a good job of it. It was just tooo far in tooo short a turn around for me, and I now have a big job tomorrow to prep for, too.....such is life ;)

Excuse me - MASSAGE man??? mmmmmmm.......

Boo Boo
-21st August 2005, 17:17
Originally posted by PM1
Why on EARTH did you fence in the same team, Boo???

Do you think I had a choice... ;). Nah, 'course I would fence with him! He really wasn't himself for that one fight! Did he mention that he turned that 9 hit lead into a 3 hit deficit in less than two minutes??? :eek: Unfortunately that left use 37:40 down and our team mate didn't manage to retake the lead...

Originally posted by PM1
or does it mean that he now owes you an even BIGGER "forgive me" present, hmm??

Now THERE'S an idea! :grin:

Originally posted by PM1
As for organisers, I would bank on Tig and gang making a good job of it. It was just tooo far in tooo short a turn around for me, and I now have a big job tomorrow to prep for, too.....such is life ;)

It would have been a LOOOOONG journey for you, but you would have enjoyed it...

The organisation was flawless, the only spanner in the works was the foil over-running (but I think that was our fault and not Tigger's... ;) ) - the sabre had to start late because of us.

Originally posted by PM1
Excuse me - MASSAGE man??? mmmmmmm.......

VERY nice, guy with one of those massage chairs set up on the beach right near the fencing pistes. 5 for 15 minutes, 10 for 30 minutes (or something like that). Guy was VERY good (nice and strong) - great to be pushed around a bit after the fencing...

Boo
(wondering if "forgive me present" can be stretched to "forgive me holiday"....)
(drawing up advert for third team member for next year - to replace ChubbyHubby... ;) )

Tarmac
-21st August 2005, 20:56
Still gutted I missed it, bloody friends getting married, so inconsiderate...

Looking at the photos there seems to be a lack of lurid colour on the beach... does this mean the Swindon team never made an appearance?

Boo Boo
-21st August 2005, 21:04
Originally posted by Tarmac
Looking at the photos there seems to be a lack of lurid colour on the beach... does this mean the Swindon team never made an appearance?

The team got there, but their many supporters didn't - they are going next weekend (bank holiday weekend)... the competition was originally booked for next weekend and most of the supporters could not change their commitments/bookings and go a week earlier.

Boo

Tarmac
-21st August 2005, 21:39
oooh party in Perranporth! :party:

Foilling Around
-21st August 2005, 22:16
Thank you for piccy of me with the umberella Chubhub, didn't realise I looked quite so silly!!

I'll download my piccys as soon as I can locate the camera!

tigger
-22nd August 2005, 08:16
Glad you enjoyed it guys...

Great pics Chubby - can I use a couple on the website which is soon to be revamped and updated!

Sorry again for the date change - we're planning to return to bank holiday weekend next year.

Watch this space...

ChubbyHubby
-22nd August 2005, 08:29
Originally posted by tigger

Great pics Chubby - can I use a couple on the website which is soon to be revamped and updated!

Of course. I have the hi-res ones if you need them. The ones on the photo sharing site understandably having their quality degraded by Kodak (otherwise no one would buy pictures off them!).

When you had the chance to recover from the weekend, if you are doing a write up, it would be good to have a feature on the SW Website.

ChubbyHubby
-22nd August 2005, 08:31
Originally posted by Foilling Around
Thank you for piccy of me with the umberella Chubhub, didn't realise I looked quite so silly!!

I'll download my piccys as soon as I can locate the camera!

At one point I thought you were holding it to shade Jojo and it was her umberella. But on closer inspection it *was* your girly purple umberella! and you just happend to be standing behind her.

randomsabreur
-22nd August 2005, 09:12
As I understood it, foilling around was attempting to use his umbrella to shade the box so that we could see if the green light had gone off.

Had an amazing time, although after the foil I have some fairly interestingly shaped and coloured bruises.

I also seem to have half the beach in my fencing bag, and if anyone wants to claim the other half, it is on platform 3 at Truro Station...

Boo Boo
-22nd August 2005, 09:55
Originally posted by randomsabreur
Had an amazing time, although after the foil I have some fairly interestingly shaped and coloured bruises.

And I had the unusual experience of receiving a reposte cut to head (which didn't come up...) at foil... :)

I also seem to have half the beach in my fencing bag, and if anyone wants to claim the other half, it is on platform 3 at Truro Station...

There is also a fair proportion on my kitchen floor (*crunch* *crunch* *crunch*) - I have just put the kit and t-shirts into the washing machine...

I guess that their are advantages (people can stay longer, more spectators...?) and disadvantages (more traffic, harder to book hotels...?) to the bank holiday weekend. The weekend you help it, Tigger, was just fantastic - look at the weather! Perfect :)

Boo

frog
-22nd August 2005, 10:34
..............and so the peeling begins!!

The rather unfashionable sun glasses mark which i have gained wouldn't be so bad if i worked with people that were down at the weekend and also experienced this. However, i dont so i have to explain that i was fencing on a beach in my sunglasses.....as you do.

:cool:

Foilling Around
-22nd August 2005, 11:05
At one point I thought you were holding it to shade Jojo and it was her umberella. But on closer inspection it *was* your girly purple umberella! and you just happend to be standing behind her.

I don't define my manhood by the colour of my umberella ChubHub, do you!!!

randomsabreur
-22nd August 2005, 11:13
Well I can safely say that the new foil timings had no effect on my foil fencing. I managed to get about as many hits as I do normally, and those that didn't come up had more to do with my lack of skill than anything else. Similar percentages of misses to hit really, so either I have got better at foil and the new timings hide that improvement (very unlikely given that I have touched one about 4 times all year) or my style is unaffected by the new timings - I prefer to hit a target that is coming towards me at a sensible speed and allow them to depress my point with their target area rather than actually chase and hit a hastily retreating target.

Boo Boo
-22nd August 2005, 11:13
I don't define my manhood by the colour of my umberella ChubHub, do you!!!

Hope not - don't think he has an umbrella... :grin:

ChubbyHubby
-22nd August 2005, 11:22
Originally posted by Boo Boo
And I had the unusual experience of receiving a reposte cut to head (which didn't come up...) at foil... :)

There is also a fair proportion on my kitchen floor (*crunch* *crunch* *crunch*) - I have just put the kit and t-shirts into the washing machine...

Boo

Have you opened the fencing bag yet and work out why it feels so much heavier than on the way there?

Exgeordielass
-22nd August 2005, 15:49
The team got there, but their many supporters didn't - they are going next weekend (bank holiday weekend)... the competition was originally booked for next weekend and most of the supporters could not change their commitments/bookings and go a week earlier.

Boo

Family are also in Truro for the bank holiday weekend (we couldn't chance our plans either). Anyone else interested in meeting up?

Peanut_UK
-22nd August 2005, 15:59
The team did make it, but only with 3 supporters in tow. We made as much noise as possible.

I'd just like to echo everyone else in saying a massive thank you to Jon, Richard and the Truro guys for another absolutely brilliant day. It was thoroughly enjoyed by all of our lot that made it down. The weather was perfect - there were some great tan lines on those that didn't pull their socks up to their breeches (mentioning no names, Whitey..). The evening event was great fun too.

ExGeordieLass - I'll PM about this weekend....

Captain Max
-22nd August 2005, 18:29
Absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed every minute, fenced well and my tan is the talk of the office! :cool:

Great to meet other forumers too. The swindon crew were especially good fun. I really enjoyed the party, isn't it great how quickly you can get drunk after getting up at 4am?!

I've got loads of good photos for the website, or for anyone interested. They're too big to post here but if you pm your email I'll send them on.

Boo Boo
-22nd August 2005, 19:49
Originally posted by Captain Max
I've got loads of good photos for the website, or for anyone interested. They're too big to post here but if you pm your email I'll send them on.

Apparently you have elected not to receive PMs... :confused: ;)

Boo
(not wanting to post her email on the forum... get enough junk mail as it is :( )

Maverick
-22nd August 2005, 20:27
Hmmmmmm........ That's because I no longer exist, according to the members' list. I couldn't send or receive PMs, post or anything. Strange. :confused:

Maybe I was deleted me for being too smug?! :grin:

AussieMongrel
-23rd August 2005, 09:39
So what were the results of the teams and individuals?

Boo Boo
-23rd August 2005, 10:18
Originally posted by AussieMongrel
So what were the results of the teams and individuals?

As far as I can remember (there were 9 teams in the foil and 9 in the sabre - can't remember all of the results....):

Sabre
1st Swash and Buckle (Emma Hynes, Gildas Braine, Danny Godfrey)
2nd Truro A (Jon Salfield etc.)
3rd Truro B (Glue Boy etc.)
4th Bath Sword (Jo Hutchison, Jane Hutchison and Dennis Hunt)

Foil
1st Portsmouth and Southsea (Pat Robbins, Andy Southwell and Jenny Morris)
2nd (Dominic Chang, Lois Chang and Martin Cott)
3rd Notts Cavaliers A (Lindsay Watkiss, Catriona Sibert and Paul Kennea)

Sorry if I spelt any names incorrectly there...

There were no individual results (just team competition).

Boo

Foilling Around
-23rd August 2005, 18:26
And 5th in the Sabre Nottm Cavaliers
(Paul Sibert, Roz Hull, Dave Stroud)

Said he blowing his own trumpet!!

ChubbyHubby
-24th August 2005, 10:47
anyone got any piccys of the foil in the morning?

Maverick
-24th August 2005, 18:30
I do, but they're mostly truro...

Boo Boo
-24th August 2005, 23:12
More Duel on the Beach photos, this time curtesy of Foilling Around... :)

Duel on the Beach Photos (two) (http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=117g7l27.qpt9233&Uy=a0v6oe&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0)

Boo

D'Artignan
-24th August 2005, 23:25
Hmmm, looks like a load of fun. Anyone looking for a foilist for next year?

Boo Boo
-24th August 2005, 23:26
Originally posted by D'Artignan
Hmmm, looks like a load of fun. Anyone looking for a foilist for next year?

One to replace ChubbyHubby maybe... :rolleyes: (read earlier posts for explanation...)

Boo

D'Artignan
-24th August 2005, 23:39
Had thought about suggesting that to you, but then remembered my "result" at the Nationals:(

Boo Boo
-24th August 2005, 23:42
Originally posted by D'Artignan
Had thought about suggesting that to you, but then remembered my "result" at the Nationals:(

You didn't loose 14:2 in less than 2 minutes did you???

Boo

D'Artignan
-24th August 2005, 23:46
Not quite, but I did seem to try. Lost heavily to a guy I should have wiped the floor with.

But, sod it, it's in the past, and I'll just have to kick some ass this season to make up for it:)

PS That was some achievement by Chubby. Hope he's proud of it:confused:

Foilling Around
-25th August 2005, 07:24
People forget Paul Kennea's part in ChubbyHubby's humiliation.

He has been ill for the past 18 months or so and personally I was delighted to see him looking well and fencing well

ChubbyHubby
-25th August 2005, 08:27

He has been ill for the past 18 months or so and personally I was delighted to see him looking well and fencing well

Yeah... just make me feel better. :rolleyes:

He was fencing well in that match, but brainless lemming here should have enough experience to slow him down. But it was good to see Paul well again, don't think I've fenced him since Excalibur last year.

...and if Boo has her way I'll be ill (in hospital with a broken skull) for the next 18 months :upset:

Boo Boo
-25th August 2005, 10:13

He looked well and semmed to enjoy himself (especially after using ChubbyHubby to sweep the sand of the piste with...) :)

...and if Boo has her way I'll be ill (in hospital with a broken skull) for the next 18 months :upset:

Definitely not!!! You are useless to be incapacitated (we don't have any longterm disability insurance)... :rolleyes:

xxx

PM1
-25th August 2005, 19:44
...I feel a "yet" coming on.......:confused:

ChubbyHubby
-27th August 2005, 09:43
More photos (this time courtesy of Maverick - formally Capt. Max)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=117g7l27.s0x6xwf&Uy=2lzelm&Ux=1

Winwaloe
-30th August 2005, 09:42
Hi Tigger, Heard the "plug" for the event whilst on our way to proper Cornwall ! Missed your interview om Radio Cornwall (the World's best radio station) as the reception was a bit of a problem on parts of the A39. Any chance of a team invitation for next year?

randomsabreur
-30th August 2005, 09:56
OK, what on earth was I doing when fencing foil in picture 3 (of FA's set. I don't remember by en garde position being that bad!

Sadly it is obviously me (can't think of anyone else who has prieur breeches with GB stripes!

Boo Boo
-30th August 2005, 10:03
I don't remember by en garde position being that bad!

I think that a lot of the photos are a millisecond after the action - hence some funny positions... (at least that is my excuse for looking as though I have just graduated from the Circus School of Contortionists... ;) )

ChubbyHubby
-30th August 2005, 10:21
... just graduated from the Circus School of Contortionists... ;) )

but I like you flexible ;)

tigger
-1st September 2005, 13:59
Winwaloe Hi Tigger, Heard the "plug" for the event whilst on our way to proper Cornwall ! Missed your interview om Radio Cornwall (the World's best radio station) as the reception was a bit of a problem on parts of the A39. Any chance of a team invitation for next year?

Interviewed on Radio Cornwall and Pirate FM...! And the results were broadcast (dreckly) on the sports roundup a few days later.

We have a queue of teams waiting to enter both weapons:

Streatham
Guildford
British Army
Civil Service

I can put you on the list if you email/PM me details, but sadly no promises for next year.

tigger
-4th September 2005, 10:03
And Bristol Fencing Club...sorry JD nearly forgot!

ChubbyHubby
-30th September 2005, 12:04
Originally posted by tigger
And Bristol Fencing Club...sorry JD nearly forgot!

J_D has now kindly uploaded the event report to the South West website:

http://www.southwestfencing.net/templates/promotion.asp?lArticleID=1003

Don't forget to check out the photo gallery link at the bottom!