PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Comps

Winwaloe
-19th April 2005, 14:17
Not a LPJS thread but as we don't have a thread for jnr fencing (hint hint) this seems best place. Anyone know any good website(s) that has details of comps in Europe for u16 type range?

D'Artignan
-19th April 2005, 14:26
I know WFFC Coach has taken a few of his lot to some comps abroad, so he may be able to help you.

jasonf
-19th April 2005, 15:31
http://www.nahouw.net/ offers a search facility on registered tournaments, which could narrow the list down to Cadet U17 or Boys/Girls U15 categories and then it is just a matter of read through the tournament documentation.

Most of the Nahouw registered tournaments seem to be in Germany, so it will depend on how well you can decipher German.

MiniMelia
-19th April 2005, 17:11
Theres quite a popular competition that covers ages U13 - U16 i think in Dieppe that alot of people from Britain go to, it's usually not a MASSIVLEY good standard but it is quite a good, well atteneded competition.

Don't know where you get the details from but if you come across it on that site it's meant to be a good one.

MiniMelia.

Winwaloe
-20th April 2005, 08:35
Originally posted by MiniMelia
Theres quite a popular competition that covers ages U13 - U16 i think in Dieppe that alot of people from Britain go to, it's usually not a MASSIVLEY good standard but it is quite a good, well atteneded competition.

Don't know where you get the details from but if you come across it on that site it's meant to be a good one.

MiniMelia.

Yes, and thanks. I know the Dieppe comp quite well. Will not be attending this year however due to certain issues with local refs in the past!

Andy W.
-21st April 2005, 17:53
de Nahouw is the best place to look, set up a search and it will email you relevant comps weekly. we have been to a few found this way, NATO in Brussels was the toughest, - Dieppe I thought a good standard and a 'safe' way to introduce yourself to fencing 'foreign' but we too had big issues with refs there but they weren't locals! We're going for the third year running this year.

Be warned though, the standard of youth fencing in Europe is very much higher than here. When you see the facilities you'll begin to understand why.

Andy W.
-21st April 2005, 17:55
Babel fish is good at translating fencing details! However some of the translation can be a bit eccentric at times.

doobarz
-21st April 2005, 21:59
Originally posted by Winwaloe
due to certain issues with local refs in the past!

With enough notice, you might be able to take some British refs with you (if this would be any beter...)

Danny_Boy
-22nd April 2005, 23:46
The FIE Satellite competition in Copenhagen (takes place in March - so you've got a bit of a wait 'til the next one) has U-17 and U-14 events attached to it - a few GBR fencers went over for those this year and did pretty well. The standard didn't look incredible from what I saw at that level but again, it's a good opportunity to gain international experience.

-

Danny Boy