PDA

View Full Version : Olympics to consider new sports (can't be good for fencing...)

ChubbyHubby
-21st April 2005, 09:01
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/4464719.stm

"In 2002, Rogge proposed that baseball, softball and modern pentathlon be removed, and golf and rugby added, but IOC members resisted and no vote was taken.

Voting will now be based on a list of criteria including global popularity, ticket sales, attendance figures and television ratings.

Other sports thought to be at risk of exclusion are fencing and Greco-Roman wrestling.

The 2008 Beijing Games will not be affected, and will feature the same sports as Athens last year. "

MiniMelia
-21st April 2005, 18:32
I think that's pretty silly, seen as the Olympics started as a competition to see who was the strongest, best warrior. Fencing/fighting was one of the main sports and now they're taking it out of Olympics?

Anyone else think all silly leaders should be sacked and someone sane should do their job??

All I ever hear is that this or that leader has done/made ANOTHER stupid, unliked decision.

MiniMelia.

Boo Boo
-21st April 2005, 22:07
I can't remember WHERE I heard it, but isn't something like "fencing is the only sport to have appeared in every single modern Olympics" true??? Wouldn't it be a shame to get rid of it...

Ok, my personal grump here (have posted it before a couple of times) is WHEN will they decide which fencing events will be in the next Olympics (i.e. WF and WS were excluded from the last Olympics, but should be swapped with two other team events for the next Olympics).

Am I the only one who thinks that we should know which team events are going to be in the next Olympics, by the end of the previous Olympics (i.e. 4 years in advance)?

Boo
(complete control freak... :rolleyes: )

D'Artignan
-21st April 2005, 22:28
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Am I the only one who thinks that we should know which team events are going to be in the next Olympics, by the end of the previous Olympics (i.e. 4 years in advance)?
Nope, as it would help a hell of a lot of fencers at the top level to plan for the next 4 years, in theory at least. and it would help the Federations if they knew where to prioritise their funding, if applicable.
OK, that made sense to me, but I can't word it any better:dizzy:

Boo Boo
-21st April 2005, 22:33
Originally posted by D'Artignan
OK, that made sense to me, but I can't word it any better:dizzy:

What you said made perfect sense to me - although obviously makes no sense to the FIE... :upset:

I guess individual fencers should still aim for individual qualification (i.e. top 5 in the world or have the surname "Roch".... :tongue: ), but it could really help federations prioritise funding...

Boo
(hoping that Keith will grab Rene by the shoulders and shake some sense into him...)

D'Artignan
-21st April 2005, 22:37
Originally posted by Boo Boo
I guess individual fencers should still aim for individual qualification i.e. have the surname "Roch" I think that may just be his masterplan....

edwin
-21st April 2005, 22:46
Fencing is one of only four sports to have appeared in every modern Olympics

Full article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/fencing/history/3476577.stm)
...The founder of the Olympics, Baron Pierre de Coubertin, was a keen supporter of fencing and as a result the sport was one of only nine included in the first modern Olympic programme in 1896....
and I think i read somewhere else that he added the clause that it cannot be removed from them either. However I don't know how well that will stand up now-a-days

JEH

Boo Boo
-21st April 2005, 22:48
Originally posted by edwin
and I think i read somewhere else that he added the clause that it cannot be removed from them either. However I don't know how well that will stand up now-a-days

Hhhmmmmm.... basically ca$h is the only thing that talks these days... :upset:

Boo
(having a REALLY cynical night....)

Marcos
-26th April 2005, 12:24
Golf??

Don;t understand the Olympics now - I thought it was for amateurs...now you have top tennis players, (some) top football players, basketball, etc etc etc

gbm
-1st May 2005, 20:47
Originally posted by ChubbyHubby
Voting will now be based on a list of criteria including global popularity, ticket sales, attendance figures and television ratings.

Erm... we're screwed. :(

Wouldn't it be just typical if London got the 2012 Olympics and fencing wasn't in it?

I can understand removing football from the Olympics, but to add professional sports like golf and rugby?

Gangsta G
-1st May 2005, 21:03
Although it pains me to say it, at the end of the day fencing is not a spectator sport, and that is what the IOC are clearly looking for. However it's not as if fencing is the only non-spectator olympic sport... so no it doesn't make sense. And it is scandalous. Eugh I've confused myself now:confused:

Rdb811
-1st May 2005, 21:10
Never seen any problems with fencing as a spectator sport.

Aidyboy
-2nd May 2005, 07:05
Excluding fencing, I can't think of many things I'd rather be doing than watching fencing! I think it would be terrible for the whole world if Fencing were to be removed from 2012.
And Marcos: I THINK (don't quote me on this) I watched an olympic Henman game on TV? What's that all about?
In my opinion, fencing should be added to events! For example, where are we in the Island Games?!? And why do we have to have a separate competition for the Commonwealth?
Unfortunately Boo is correct. The answer to most of my questions is MONEY. What has the world come too?
In conclusion. . .. .

:dont:

Gangsta G
-2nd May 2005, 08:40
Originally posted by aidyboi
Excluding fencing, I can't think of many things I'd rather be doing than watching fencing!

That is because you are a fencer and understand the sport. For those that don't, it is interesting & fun to watch for a short space of time, but apart from that it is, due to the complexity of the rules and the speed (with the obvious exception of epee which is a bit boring to watch as well because it is so slow) impossible to understand. And if people don't watch it, it won't make the IOC money, if it doesn't make the IOC money, then blah blah blah...:(

Rdb811
-2nd May 2005, 20:37
It's a question of presentation - I think you could make it very watchable - incomprehensible rules and boring action hasn't stopped Rugby Union.

Gangsta G
-3rd May 2005, 09:03
Originally posted by Rdb811
It's a question of presentation - I think you could make it very watchable - incomprehensible rules and boring action hasn't stopped Rugby Union.

Yeah, let's hope Roch does something decent for a while and keeps fencing in the olympics!

madfencer
-3rd May 2005, 15:41
thats jst plain ridiculous they shouldnt do that!!