PDA

View Full Version : 9th London International Universities Fencathalon 2005

mbyo15
-25th April 2005, 15:26
Dear all,

You are all cordially invited to participate in the 9th LIUF competition which takes place in Euston over the 11th/12th June 2005.

There are three pdf files attached to this 'post' and they contain the covering letter, the poster for the competition and the entry form.

Following a crisis with the University College London Union's entire web system, both the websites quoted will be out of date and wont work - a problem we have no ability to solve until the union gets its act together - all the same, apologies for that.

As far as e-mail goes, the e-mail will work although it would be more preferable to e-mail either Joss Matthewman on xxjossxx7@hotmail.com or me on e.bennett@ucl.ac.uk

There is still loads of time to enter - we are guaranteed to have teams from Russia and Germany comming over, and there is a strong possibility that Italy and France will be similarly represented.

I look forward to hearing from you all,

Ed Bennett

mbyo15
-25th April 2005, 15:31
Dear All,

You wil have noticed that whilst I said I would attach 3 files to my initial post, only one is there.

Unfortunatly the poster for LIUF and the actual entry form are too big 'byte wise' to place on this site.

I will happily e-mail them to anyone on request. Please either give me a contact e-mail on here, or e-mail me at e.bennett@ucl.a.uk

Many thanks,

Ed Bennett

mbyo15
-26th April 2005, 19:54
ATTATCHED IS THE HIGHLY STYLISH ENTRY FORM FOR LIUF !!!

D'Artignan
-26th April 2005, 22:27
Originally posted by mbyo15
ATTATCHED IS THE HIGHLY STYLISH ENTRY FORM FOR LIUF !!! No it isn't

mbyo15
-26th April 2005, 23:12
Yes you are right - I thought I had done it as a word file but it didnt obviously accept that and the pdf was too big. If you want one, send me a private e-mail to e.bennett@ucl.ac.uk and I'll send you one that way.

Sorry everyone,

Edward

D'Artignan
-26th April 2005, 23:14
Cheers, but Emma T already sent me the info. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it, as my work have decided that I have to work all the crappy shifts they have, all summer:(

Neo
-27th April 2005, 03:11
Originally posted by mbyo15
Dear all,

You are all cordially invited to participate in the 9th LIUF competition which takes place in Euston over the 11th/12th June 2005.

There are three pdf files attached to this 'post' and they contain the covering letter, the poster for the competition and the entry form.

Following a crisis with the University College London Union's entire web system, both the websites quoted will be out of date and wont work - a problem we have no ability to solve until the union gets its act together - all the same, apologies for that.

As far as e-mail goes, the e-mail will work although it would be more preferable to e-mail either Joss Matthewman on xxjossxx7@hotmail.com or me on e.bennett@ucl.ac.uk

There is still loads of time to enter - we are guaranteed to have teams from Russia and Germany comming over, and there is a strong possibility that Italy and France will be similarly represented.

I look forward to hearing from you all,

Ed Bennett

I'll be there with ULU, but with regards to the website - are you in need of temporary space?

mbyo15
-28th April 2005, 11:22
Er, at the moment it is ok. Our new website won't be comming online until after the 18th May anyway - we are just building it all again from scratch and are waiting until our exams finish before we put it up. However, it may come in use so thanks for the offer !

Edward

mbyo15
-13th May 2005, 23:46
The website is now up and running

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD

www.liuf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

toblerone
-16th May 2005, 13:50
Is there a list of previous results anywhere? I'd like to get a rough idea of the standard/ people that might come

mbyo15
-16th May 2005, 16:02
There may be some other websites from previous LIUF competitions still online which may have the results on there.

The standard is entirely mixed from very very good to beginner. It is deliberately trying to strike a balance between a friendly competition for everyone and a serious one when and if one reaches say, the L16 or L8.

I am following up on the results though to try and give you a less rhetoric based response !

Maxim
-16th May 2005, 17:10
Last year Simeon Seamer won the foil, beating a guy from Germany in a close final. Tom Jenyon =3rd , I was knoked out in the last 8.
Epee - i think Tom Bennet was the winner.
Sabre - final was between Abramov of Uzbekistan and a German international.
Last year the standard was comparable with BUSA individuals (roughly the same amount of good fencers present). However LIUF was a smaller event and hence less average fencer. I reckon for someone who fences in university matches and gets reasonable results at opens L16 was easily doable last year.

toblerone
-16th May 2005, 17:18
cheers! Any ideas about the ladies...?

Maxim
-16th May 2005, 17:30
It is a mixed event. There was lady (from Germany I think) who made it to last 8 of foil, I knocked another one out in the L16. Not sure about other weapons.

Juicy
-19th May 2005, 07:33
Originally posted by Maxim

Last year the standard was comparable with BUSA individuals (roughly the same amount of good fencers present). However LIUF was a smaller event and hence less average fencer. I reckon for someone who fences in university matches and gets reasonable results at opens L16 was easily doable last year.

Not sure how comparable it would be to the BUSA's - there are many more fencers from international universities present, especially from Germany - so on average at the lower end the standard is similar to the busa's, but as you get into the last 8-16 it's usually of a higher standard with more diverse styles of fencing.

It's a really good competition for any level though, like ed mentioned, especially cause it's a little different from some of the smaller opens and busa due to the international presence.

Fencer
-16th June 2005, 05:14
Results of Fencers from Moscow Club En Garde in LIUF 2005

Men Sabre

Alisher Djahangirov - 3-d place
Svyatoslav Nosov - 6th place
Sergey Koval - 8-th place
Alexandr Korchevin - 12th place

Female Sabre

Katya Tyshler - 3d place
Larisa Ryzhkova - 5th place

Congradulate!!!!!!

Emma T
-16th June 2005, 09:48
Does anyone know where a more complete set of results are? And also somebody came round doing lots of photography-do people know where these photos will be? Good weekend, messed up my second poule, but did v well on plate so all is good. Also my presiding came on leaps and bounds (a lot of that might be confidence...)

Finally, met Neo, and was disappointed that he didn't live up to his reputation and was actually a really nice guy! :tongue:

Neo
-24th June 2005, 01:07
Originally posted by Emma T
Does anyone know where a more complete set of results are? And also somebody came round doing lots of photography-do people know where these photos will be? Good weekend, messed up my second poule, but did v well on plate so all is good. Also my presiding came on leaps and bounds (a lot of that might be confidence...)

Finally, met Neo, and was disappointed that he didn't live up to his reputation and was actually a really nice guy! :tongue:

The person doing photography was my gf :tongue: Though most of the pics will be of me AFAIK, though no idea what Sarah actually shot, as they're not developed yet.

Yes, I'm afraid old age is setting in and dirty mind seems to be waning. :grin:

Presiding was good as far as I could see, apart from when u turned to me with a rather confused look on your face :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I also messed up second poule - I'm still pissed off at dropping that last fight. Though I was pleased with beating that rather handy epeeist chappy - it was close. :)

TBennett
-24th June 2005, 21:14
Thanks for a great weekend all those who organised the competition, I take my hat off to you all... (sorry for the late post tho.....only a few days after the event really). Was only there for the Sunday and was very impressed by a nice female sabreur from Germany who fenced fantastically in the final to take British bloke (Jupp I think) to 14-14.....so good.

I will definately return to this competition next year if I can, is great fun and really sociable....

Congrats to all etc,

Regards,

Gordon

Rubber Ducky
-25th June 2005, 18:03
Yep, dead right - the final was great fun! :sabre:

Thanks for the great organisation, and to the Russians and Germans who were great sports!

Fencer
-28th June 2005, 13:35
Some photos from LIUF 2005
http://club.fencing.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241

Nick_C
-28th June 2005, 14:41
hehe - great photos!

Don't suppose the tournament organisers picked up a RH white fencing glove at the end of the second day??