PDA

View Full Version : Cornwall LPJS Foil

tigger
-26th April 2005, 08:16
Hi everyone

It's not too late to enter the Cornwall LPJS in Bude. We're magnanimously not charging late entry fees for any entries received by Thursday..!

Total entry is just under 100 now, with Boy's Under 13 and Under 11 having 24 and 20 entries respectively. There will be enough fencers in all categories for at least 2 pools. Under 9s will probably again be mixed at the pool stage.

As usual tons of chocolate, prizes and wine (for refs not fencers!)

See you all in sunny Cornwall on Staurday

PS The sun's out today and the pasties are singing in the trees..!

Touché Turtle
-26th April 2005, 08:39
Sounds great... would love to bring Touché Junior if only you could move Cornwall a little closer.... :(

27ab1c
-26th April 2005, 09:07
It's just far enough away, with a 9am check-in, to have to travel down the day before and be a tourist for the evening.
... and with a 9am check-in, it's likely to finish early enough to be a tourist the following evening too.
Life's tough, but someone has to do it.

vikkia
-26th April 2005, 09:54
We will be on our way on friday and making a long weekend of it! I insist on sunshine and wine for parents otherwise we will stay at home:grin:
Seriously though, really looking forward to it ,heard lots of good things.

Winwaloe
-28th April 2005, 17:08
If it is anything like last year then, in my opinion, it will be the best of the LPJS events. Organisation is slick, it is run by friendly and helpful people and as Cornwall is quite simply the best place in the World then how can it fail.

Appreciate that turtles travel at around the speed of a tortoise so it may take time but Cornwall is actually not at the other end of the World (well not in distance terms) and Bude is actually only just over the Devon border it's not as if you had to go to West Penwith (however when Tigger startsa comp in St Ives or Sennen we will be there!). MAKE THE EFFORT!!

NB - Disclaimer - the writer wishes to make it known that he has no connection with Bude or Truro fencing Club, would not recognise Jon if he was standing next to him (don't really recognise anyone after the nth pint of Skinners) and all observations as to the quality of the event are entirely objective!

Touché Turtle
-28th April 2005, 20:05
Originally posted by Winwaloe

Appreciate that turtles travel at around the speed of a tortoise so it may take time but Cornwall is actually not at the other end of the World (well not in distance terms) and Bude is actually only just over the Devon border it's not as if you had to go to West Penwith (however when Tigger startsa comp in St Ives or Sennen we will be there!). MAKE THE EFFORT!!

it's not the distance that's the problem - it's fitting in the time to travel. This weekend is already a busy one for me...
Next year I'll keep it free, promise! :)

Winwaloe
-28th April 2005, 20:20
Time on this Earth is limited. Use what time you have to its best. Go to Cornwall.

vikkia
-28th April 2005, 20:22
Time,Time where does it go?? fitting in (this season) cricket ,Athletics and fencing, Last season rugby, cross country and football AND FENCING.... Its driving me NUTS! Had a word with school and told them I didn't want him in the cricket team as he has to miss his lesson and club:( Fencing comes first. Thats why they have agreed that he can be off school tommorrow so we can go to the glorious south west and have a wonderfull weekend! Really looking forward to it lets hope the weather holds. i am sure it will be worth the drive of 320 miles each way on a bank holiday weekend. i mean what else could I do ? Stay in bed ,go to the pub ,ride my horse,just chill? Who wants to do that it's much more fun to watch the sprog enjoy himself fencing and have a few glasses of wine while I'm doing it.
Just keep the sun shining Jon!!:)

PM1
-28th April 2005, 23:09
In some ways I'm envious of you Vickki, as we have fab memories of Bude (foil ? what's foil??) and going marauding for winner's choccie and t shirts. And don't forget the clotted creammmmmm......I'll be walking and swimming and convincing Boy NOT to try and pretend that he is a mini musketeer at Centre Parcs Whinfell Forest....longing for a massage......yesssss.......:transport :transport

Baldric
-28th April 2005, 23:29
If it is anything like last year then, in my opinion, it will be the best of the LPJS events. Organisation is slick, it is run by friendly and helpful people and as Cornwall is quite simply the best place in the World then how can it fail.

Winwaloe is obviously biased, but I tend to agree - for sheer fun, friendliness, and freakin-out, Bude is the best of the LPJS foil series.

If you want a tough comp - go to Cambridge. For the best organisation, probably Sherwood. For razz-a-matazz, (and the best venue) Falkirk is tops. But for lazy, Sunday afternoon, wine-swigging, choccy guzzling, laid back fencing comps - Bude does it for me!

Sorry we won't be there this year guys - I hope it goes splendidly!

Winwaloe
-29th April 2005, 07:33
Originally posted by Baldric
Winwaloe is obviously biased, but I tend to agree - for sheer fun, friendliness, and freakin-out, Bude is the best of the LPJS foil series.

If you want a tough comp - go to Cambridge. For the best organisation, probably Sherwood. For razz-a-matazz, (and the best venue) Falkirk is tops. But for lazy, Sunday afternoon, wine-swigging, choccy guzzling, laid back fencing comps - Bude does it for me!

Sorry we won't be there this year guys - I hope it goes splendidly!

Cambridge can be tough if the top places are close then the best in each yr group tend to turn up to secure their place.

Falkirk? - Is that in Scotland? - Not been there as don't like vacinations etc and the sub zero temperatures or men in skirts blowing into small squids.

But as for Cornwall - well surfing, pasties, piskies, cream, fresh fish, great food, the best people on earth and quite a long way from the MI and M25!!

Kernow Bys Vyken!

Winwaloe
-29th April 2005, 07:35
Originally posted by PM1
In some ways I'm envious of you Vickki, as we have fab memories of Bude (foil ? what's foil??) and going marauding for winner's choccie and t shirts. And don't forget the clotted creammmmmm......I'll be walking and swimming and convincing Boy NOT to try and pretend that he is a mini musketeer at Centre Parcs Whinfell Forest....longing for a massage......yesssss.......:transport :transport

Centre Parcs - Ughhh! You have my every sympathy.

Winwaloe
-29th April 2005, 07:37
Assuming you are who I think you are, I was sure I overheard you at the last TA's saying that you would be at Bude this year.

If you are who I think you are you will also understand when i say that we will be listening to The Rasmus on the way down!

Winwaloe
-29th April 2005, 07:40
I will pack the Purdey's and bag a few!

Baldric
-29th April 2005, 07:46
Assuming you are who I think you are, I was sure I overheard you at the last TA's saying that you would be at Bude this year.

If you are who I think you are you will also understand when i say that we will be listening to The Rasmus on the way down!

I think I am who you think I am, and the Rasmus reference makes sense (well, to jnr, not me).

However, we have never planned to do Bude this year.........

Touché Turtle
-29th April 2005, 08:30
Time on this Earth is limited. Use what time you have to its best. Go to Cornwall.

Unfortunately money is limited too - people have to go to work for it! So unless you can lend me a TARDIS it really will be physically impossible. :upset:

AMC
-29th April 2005, 14:36
Well, you will have the (dubious) privilege of me reffing this year.

Conventional ? Maybe! Quaint? I doubt it! What the hell.....do it anyway............

If you are really feeling brave, and the timetable works for you, try doing the P & S LPJS and the Falkirk one on the same weekend!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting MUST not argue with the ref. Its a lot of pressure just for the tee shirt.:ahahhhhhh

Baldric
-30th April 2005, 18:13
Any results yet?

27ab1c
-30th April 2005, 20:50
Not sure about the others but:
Girls U15:
1. Nikki Barlow
2. Abi Difford
3. Lauren Brown
3. Grace Williams
5. Mary Davies
6. Isla Findlay
7. Emma Brownlow
8. Hannah Snell

Girl lost 15-13 in the final and was a bit upset about it - no need to be, as it's her best LPJS result to date. I guess she just put a lot into it and was disappointed having come so close.

Mountain of chocolate prizes helped bring her round.

Well done to the organisers - a good weekend all round.

Baldric
-30th April 2005, 21:21
Originally posted by 27ab1c
Not sure about the others but:
Girls U15:
1. Nikki Barlow
2. Abi Difford
3. Lauren Brown
3. Grace Williams
5. Mary Davies
6. Isla Findlay
7. Emma Brownlow
8. Hannah Snell

Girl lost 15-13 in the final and was a bit upset about it - no need to be, as it's her best LPJS result to date. I guess she just put a lot into it and was disappointed having come so close.

Mountain of chocolate prizes helped bring her round.

Well done to the organisers - a good weekend all round.

Congrats to Abi from the entire Baldric clan! Nikki is a seriously good fencer, and no shame in being beaten by her!

Well done!!

MiniMelia
-1st May 2005, 16:13
Well done Abi! Kick ass result! Bad luck in the final though, even worse when it's that close but as Baldric said, she's a good fencer. You get me any choccies? :tongue:

Seeya 'round.

MiniMelia.

tigger
-2nd May 2005, 00:56
Full results of the Cornwall LPJS Foil 2005 are available on www.jonsalfield.co.uk/series

Thanks to everyone who helped out (inc Winwaloe, Rubber Ducky, Glue Boy and other forumites!). It was a long day (we were up at 5 and left the venue 630pm - I then went to work...!) but pretty successful. We gave out chocolate and prizes to a value of £350 (thats 35% of entry fees back to the fencers in the form of prizes!) and had a great raffle...

Many, many thanks to the tournament sponsors JDID Music, and the raffle sponsors BC Electronics

tigger
-2nd May 2005, 01:08
But most of all thanks to the parents, coaches and fencers who all made the trip down to Cornwall. I hope you all enjoyed it (and the beautiful sunshine which we promised!)

PM1
-2nd May 2005, 23:48
Centre Parcs - Ughhh! You have my every sympathy.

Actually, they can have a lot going for them. Been talking about a w/e fencing camp, including water resistance exercises....and the hydrotherapy pool was wonderful....didn't go into the BIG pool, you understand.....and would STILL have loved to have been at Bude...but I'm nice and relaxed now...until tomorrow:(

Glad the comp went off as well as expected - well done Tigger and crew :grin: :grin:

Winwaloe
-3rd May 2005, 06:40
many congrats to Tigger and team for a really splendid weekend. Great organisation, friendly people and the sun shone from a clear Cornish sky! However, he did fib about the pasties in the trees, there were none in sight!

Winwaloe jnr felt he should have got a bar of choc for his refing but seemed to make up for it in ice cream later on.

A great day Tigger and many thanks - now, about that LPJS on the beach?!

Winwaloe
-3rd May 2005, 06:41
Originally posted by MiniMelia
Well done Abi! Kick ass result! Bad luck in the final though, even worse when it's that close but as Baldric said, she's a good fencer. You get me any choccies? :tongue:

Seeya 'round.

MiniMelia.

And it was a very good final to watch

tigger
-3rd May 2005, 09:46
Hi winwaloe

I think you guys left before the final presentations, so I owe you a bottle of wine and a big box of choccies for junior (he reffed all day without a murmur!). Thanks again.

Winwaloe
-3rd May 2005, 11:57
It was a pleasure and Winwaloe jnr actually enjoyed it! Keep the wine and choccies until next year!

Dha Weles!