PDA

View Full Version : Light weight lames

Eliot Williams
-24th June 2003, 21:59
Have used light weight lames since they were available in the Uk and have noticed a small problem.

Any bodywires/mask clips attached to them rust very quckly and deposit this rust on the jacket. Im assuming this is due to bi-metallic corrosion between the silver lame material and the steel clip. Can anyone whos done a bit more metalurgy or materials science confirm if this is the cause ?

Also if i change my clips to silver will this solve the problem or just move it to a different place ( clip to wire interface or mask clip to mask interface?)

3 Card Trick
-24th June 2003, 22:03
Are you leaving the clip attached to the lame when you aren't wearing it?

I only ask because in 38 years fencing I have never had a clip rust or a deposit on a lame from a clip.

:)

Eliot Williams
-25th June 2003, 09:15
Whilst I do admit to doing that I only get the rusting on my new light weight jackets not my old lame, which despite being 10 years old is still in excellent condition.

So is it bi-metallic corrosion and is there anything I can do about it ? (apart from not clipping on for so long as that will only slow it down rather than stop it.)

pinkelephant
-25th June 2003, 11:15
Bi-metallic corrosion would also corrode a steel clip attached to a copper lame, so it certainly isn't that, unless for some reason the light-weight lame is retaining more sweat than a copper lame.

Eliot Williams
-25th June 2003, 11:27
id always assumed my other lame is steel (its a normal leon paul lame) deffinatly not copper

Cheetara
-25th June 2003, 13:51
But, the normal leon paul lames go green, not rust coloured when they corrode, which I always thought indicated that they weren't steel. :confused:

I really wish I could spell/type :( I've had to edit this twice!!!!!

oiuyt
-25th June 2003, 16:11
Originally posted by Eliot Williams
So is it bi-metallic corrosion and is there anything I can do about it ? (apart from not clipping on for so long as that will only slow it down rather than stop it.)

Slow it down to the point where it might as well be considered stopped.... Let's say you fence for 10 hours/week (adjust as appropriate). If you remove the clip from the lame when not actively fencing you've just saved 94% of the time that it could be corroding. It'll take nearly 17 times as long to become an issue. Actually considering that the clipping and removing process will also abraid the rust off and that it will result in some slight variation of where the rusting is occurring you save considerably more than that. TECHNICALLY this would just slow down the process. In actual real-world effect, however, it stops the process from being a problem.

Unclip your lame when not in use and the problem should disappear.

-B :)

Eliot Williams
-25th June 2003, 16:21
clipping unclipping would deffinatley help if i always uncliped but how many sabreurs do you know who always unclip thier mask wire?

As for green corrosion on normal lames...

normal leon paul lames are inox which i thought to be a type of stainless steel.

Green corrosion could be the chromium oxidising to Cr2O3 ?????

Im not a metalurgist or a meterials scientist so I could be totally wrong

pinkelephant
-26th June 2003, 11:02
Originally posted by Eliot Williams
clipping unclipping would deffinatley help if i always uncliped but how many sabreurs do you know who always unclip thier mask wire?

All of them

Eliot Williams
-26th June 2003, 12:05
Have just looked at my lame and although most of the rust is located at the head clip point ( which i sometimes unclip) there is still some corrosion at the bodywire clip, which is always unclipped when gear is in my bag.

So can anyone actually answer the question ....

would a silver clip
1) stop corrosion
2) move corrosion to other end
3) corrode on mask clip to wire soldered link

?????????????????????