PDA

View Full Version : County Youth Squads

Winwaloe
-5th May 2005, 18:53
Appreciate that this may not be the correct pasrt of The Forum but - can anyone tell me how many counties have a youth squad?

MiniMelia
-5th May 2005, 19:13
Lots of counties have squads, but not many bother with a youth squad coz there aren't really alot of county youth comps except Cadet Winton really, so no need for a squad.

I hope I helped, and also hope my info was correct :dizzy:

MiniMelia.

pinkelephant
-6th May 2005, 08:24
Cadet Winton is regions, not counties.

MiniMelia
-6th May 2005, 15:23
....ooops

Baldric
-6th May 2005, 21:23
Originally posted by Winwaloe
Appreciate that this may not be the correct part of The Forum but - can anyone tell me how many counties have a youth squad?

We certainly don't in Hampshire, or for that matter in the Southern Region.

It's a shame, cos I would think it would be a natural course of development, county squad - regional squad - national squad.

The point about absence of inter-county junior comps is a bit of a chicken and egg thing....if county youth fencing was stronger there might be more comps....and that would strengthen youth fencing.

On the other hand, the calendar is pretty crowded as it is, and the coaches, young fencers and volunteers have to rest sometimes.

Rdb811
-6th May 2005, 23:01
Wedon't in Surrey, but most London Boroughs have a foil squad for teh Lonodn Youth Games.

Winwaloe
-9th May 2005, 10:26
Reason I asked the question is twofold

1) I am sure I have seen some yougsters with regional squad tracksuits/hoodies etc at the various comps

2) It would seem to be a very good idea to have a County Squad - Regional Squad etc not just for comps but also for training etc.

AMC
-9th May 2005, 12:28
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We certainly don't in Hampshire, or for that matter in the Southern Region.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hampshire used to run a cadet training squad for the region. However as people move on things tend to fold. Its easy to stop squad training but very hard to start it up again.:(

Baldric
-9th May 2005, 12:42
Originally posted by AMC
[Hampshire used to run a cadet training squad for the region. However as people move on things tend to fold. Its easy to stop squad training but very hard to start it up again.:( [/B]

Do I hear the sound of a volunteer AMC?

:tongue:

KJK
-9th May 2005, 13:11
I know i used to take fencers to these training sessions but i also know that it was very difficult to fit them in with all the other commitments teenagers have and not just the fencing ones!