http://www.leonpaul.com/news/comps/Open_entry_05.htm
Epee open
Saturday 25th June 2005
Closing date Saturday 18th June 2005
Please note entries are limited to 112.

The Sports Hall
RAF Upper Heyford.
Oxfordshire
(directions and a map are available on request).

Check in will close at 9.00

Entry Fee £15 please make cheques payable to
‘GB Boys Cadet Epee’.
Late entries £5 extra.

Aidyboy
-10th May 2005, 17:22
I'll be there!!! come see me!:grin:

Louis CB
-10th May 2005, 21:50
As will I.

Join it people, you know you want to...

madfencer
-13th May 2005, 12:04
cant afford to go over :( although i might be going to millfield this summer if not nxt...depends on my knee.

madfencer
-17th May 2005, 12:07
I love epee so that sucks so much :( :( :( :( :( :(

expent
-18th May 2005, 12:39
How does this "repechage" work then... I have had it explained to me, but couldn't quite work out who goes through on second chance, how the next round of DE works with more then 2^(n-1) people in it and whether people can get a by in a later round? and if this event is with repechage, then is it differing from the standardised format and so not actually going to pick up points?

randomsabreur
-18th May 2005, 12:54
Repechage basically works as in you lose twice, you're out, and you have to win twice to make it through the first round of DE. Basically you have a normal 64, and everyone fences everyone they're supposed to. Then the winners fence the winners (as though it is the L32 although that isn't really the case) and the losers fence the losers (the mirror of the L32 i.e. as if all the results had gone the wrong way). The winners who win (winners-winners) are promoted to the L32, and the losers-losers are eliminated (and take the bottom 16 places in the L64 in the order of their seeding). The winners-losers and the losers-winners fence each other (not 100% sure who fences who here, possibly reseeded) and the winners of that fight go through and the losers are out. Then, I am not too sure what happens with a repechage from L64, I have only actually fenced in one from 16.

Basically you are only out when you lose twice, so you keep fencing and looking for your piste no. until you have lost twice or you are in the L8.

Generally when you get down to the L8, the people who have come through the winners half of the tableau are seeded 1-4 in the order of their tableau seeding, and those who have come through the repechage are seeded 5-8 in tableau seeding order

See http://www.fencingcoach.net/ - information for cadet fencers - a better explanation

Thanks to Neil Brown for the details

randomsabreur
-18th May 2005, 12:56
PS I am fairly certain that repechage only works with complete tableaux, but you can start it at different stages (e.g. L64, L32 or L16) to make sure that you do have the relevant complete tableau.

I think you can also do it from L128 but you have to be a bit mean (and brave) to kill fencers by doing it.

Repechage is very very very tiring!

expent
-18th May 2005, 13:02
Wow, excellent, I think I almost understand it - I guess I'll work the rest out on the day! I guess it means you could end up with a Last48 as your result.

Canis
-18th May 2005, 14:24
Repechage was used at all levels of competition when DE was brought in to replace competitions occuring by pools throughout!

As RS said it is DE where you have to loose twice to be eliminated . I think this was a good idea as it stops fencers going out of the comp just because they have drawn their nemisis/team mate/ world no 1.

How it works

the normal side of the DE happens as usual
say last 32.

the losers from the last 32 (16 of them )move to the DE side of the tableau. they then fight off among themselves so 8 are eliminated (theyve lost twice) 8 are promoted to fight the 8 losers from the last 16 , of these 8 are eliminated and the remaining 8 fence off among themselves to leave 4 .
these four then fence the losers of the last 8 from the regular side.

and so on!

vil
-18th May 2005, 14:31
Ouch. I'm going to have to do a lot of fitness work between now and this competition if I'm going to survive it (always assuming I survive the cut after the pools, that is...). :dizzy:

expent
-18th May 2005, 15:00
So it looks something like this:

http://www.ging.co.uk/Repecharge.gif

Loose your fist DE fight and you have to win almost twice as many fights to win as if you don't loose any! Nice... Throw your first fight if you want lots of practice!!

:party:

randomsabreur
-18th May 2005, 15:08
yes, although generally you stop at the L8 stage when you have 4 from the top and 4 from the bottom.

expent
-18th May 2005, 15:13
Vil, you have a choice, get fit or learn not to loose (there is no third option to going home early!)