PDA

View Full Version : favourite fencer

nutwing
-12th May 2005, 13:41
Right - time to show where your loyalties lie. Who's your favourite british epeeist to watch? I like Matt Haynes. Very stylish and technique similar to that of Eric Boisse (olympic semi-finalist).

haggis
-12th May 2005, 14:51
Originally posted by nutwing
I like Matt Haynes. Very stylish and technique similar to that of Eric Boisse (olympic semi-finalist).

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :lolbash: :lolbash:

Moppet
-12th May 2005, 16:07
Hmm. I'm sure there was a thread similar to this not so long ago...

aah, here it is. (http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4570&highlight=fencer) :)

Though it was on olympic fencers it seems to be quite similar.

Farrago
-12th May 2005, 17:15
Grrr, lack of Sky (and even tv) means I don't really get to see much fencing except at my club. Are there any websites with fencing videos that people know of?

Moppet
-12th May 2005, 17:29
There isn't a huge amount of fencing on tv, even if you have sky! :(

pinkelephant
-12th May 2005, 17:43
Right - time to show where your loyalties lie. Who's your favourite british epeeist to watch? I like Matt Haynes. Very stylish and technique similar to that of Eric Boisse (olympic semi-finalist).

Is that his opinion or yours?

Lynne
-12th May 2005, 17:48
Ouch!

cesh_fencing
-13th May 2005, 01:40
Definately TC... I have watched him develop over the last 8 years or so and he has come on a huge amount since he started at Sussex House..

For entertainment value it has to be J Willis, whether success or failure it is always good value to watch.

Lynne
-13th May 2005, 07:25
Quite naturally, I have 2 favourite fencers!

MiniMelia and MaxiMelia!

vil
-13th May 2005, 16:08
Originally posted by cesh_fencing
Definately TC... I have watched him develop over the last 8 years or so and he has come on a huge amount since he started at Sussex House..

For entertainment value it has to be J Willis, whether success or failure it is always good value to watch.
Got to agree with this, but add yourself to the list! :not_worth :grin:

I also like watching expent when he's done his usual trick of digging a hole to fight his way out of. There was a classic example of that at the Aldershot, IIRC: down 14-11 with about 15 seconds left in the third period, going all out to level it 14-all at time, then winning in the extra minute. Great stuff!

Aidyboy
-15th May 2005, 19:37
after watching Vil at the IoW today, got to say he's not bad. I saw a few almost effortless wrist hits against good fencers. Jo Maynard is good to watch too. The bloke that won at the IoW today is very good aswell, although I can't remember his name, David somebody. . . .

MiniMelia
-15th May 2005, 21:10
Buist? Mighta been him just thought.

Aidyboy
-15th May 2005, 22:10
yup, thats the bloke. Very good fencer.

MiniMelia
-15th May 2005, 22:36
Yeah he is good. Was alot better though about a year ago so imagine that! :eek:

How did everyone else do? Are the results up yet?

MiniMelia.

Foilling Around
-15th May 2005, 23:48
Phillippe Omnes, French Foilist lovely to watch. Seemed to be effortless.

Australian
-16th May 2005, 08:23
I like Matt Haynes. Very stylish and technique similar to that of Eric Boisse (olympic semi-finalist).

wow... just wow...

never thought i'd see matt compared with anyone of that order

MiniMelia
-16th May 2005, 16:24
....harsh

Aidyboy
-16th May 2005, 16:28
Originally posted by Escrimeur
after watching Vil at the IoW today, got to say he's not bad. I saw a few almost effortless wrist hits against good fencers. Jo Maynard is good to watch too. The bloke that won at the IoW today is very good aswell, although I can't remember his name, David somebody. . . .
just realised I missed off TwoHappyHippos, fantastic fight losing to the singapore lady last weekend. Last hit at 14-13 down with 10 seconds left in the last period. . . amazing, very tense fight to watch, both of those fencers very good.

luke99
-16th May 2005, 16:35
Originally posted by Aidyboy

David Buist, very good. And I agree Vil is good, seeded 1st after the round of poules. Also Congratulations for two happy hippos, It was a very tense fight to watch, must have been twice as tense to fence in it well done :grin:

MiniMelia
-16th May 2005, 16:46
Did 'hippo' come 2nd or something then?

She is quite good just a shame she's Scottish :tongue: :confused:

Well done to all formities that were there.

MiniMelia.

Aidyboy
-16th May 2005, 17:51
na, but she came quite far, just checking on rankings, (up on www.solentswords.co.uk now) to see, I think either semis or quaters.

Aidyboy
-16th May 2005, 18:00
Yeh she came fifth. Well done Hippo!!

vil
-17th May 2005, 00:19
Originally posted by luke99
David Buist, very good. And I agree Vil is good, seeded 1st after the round of poules. Also Congratulations for two happy hippos, It was a very tense fight to watch, must have been twice as tense to fence in it well done :grin:
Gosh, certainly didn't expect to see my name appearing in this thread! :o: FWIW, I really found my form at the IoW but was still beaten fairly comfortably by Mr Buist (who proved to be quite a showman when he reached the final). That final was really good to watch & I agree about the match between twohappyhippos and Aurora too - very exciting stuff.

Commander
-1st June 2005, 14:32
just noticed, well done hippo!

Australian
-2nd June 2005, 09:49
bit of a shock really... all she does is mope around in the middle of the piste and stick her arm out on occasion...

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: ;)

pinkelephant
-2nd June 2005, 10:56
Originally posted by Australian
bit of a shock really... all she does is mope around in the middle of the piste and stick her arm out on occasion...

Better than bouncing around like a demented wallaby.:tongue:

AussieMongrel
-2nd June 2005, 11:03
Know nothing about epee but my favourite epeeist is Vasile Coifu the reason being that by winning the Epee at Excalibur he made up for all the fights I lost in the sabre:tongue:

twohappyhippos
-2nd June 2005, 11:35
Originally posted by Australian

ha ha ha. Very funny!!!! Actually at the Isle of Wight I even did a fleche *waits for gasps!!!!*

Picture the scene - had 4.5 seconds left, 13-14 down, I raised my epee and ran (probably more of a stumble really but lets not burst my bubble!), fleched and scored the point.

But then at 14-14 I lifted my wrist and darn it she hit me!

:tongue: See I'm not always asleep or lazy!!!! Sometimes I do even work up a sweat...;)

UglyBug
-2nd June 2005, 13:16
I know nothing about epee, but the most enjoyable fight I saw was between James Taylor and Jon Willis

djbsk
-5th June 2005, 01:23
nick perry is back from canada. he's been training seriously hard at the canadian national training centre and he looks a huge amount better than when he left. us normals should really worry!!:rambo:

Threestain
-6th June 2005, 18:26
Favourite epeeist?

Rota (Alfredo the good one), Janvier, Kolobkov or Martinelli.

All damn good. However, Rota is giving a display of the most impressive points loss in history this year. I believe it might be the fallow year...

Gatso
-20th June 2005, 22:08
Can we count the Pentathletes who go to Bath ?

Cheers

PS. or are we talking about male fencers :oops