PDA

View Full Version : Risk Assesment

Tom B
-12th May 2005, 18:34
Hi there, as i appear to have been lumbered with being safty officer for plymouth uni club next year, i've been told i need to fill out a risk assesment form by our student union. I was wondering if any kinda people have a form they've filled out for their club and could possibly email me with, as i have exams till the end of may.

Thanks in advance

Tarmac
-12th May 2005, 22:56
i'll dig one out for you.
Pm me your email address

O*N
-13th May 2005, 09:25
Is it the type if situation where if there's a big risk you'll get more money to buy "safety equipment" (beer) or that if there's too big a risk they'll close you down. I know it's a good way to get money off our sports authority to make fencing look as dangerous as canoeing or pot-holing. ;)

Cheetara
-13th May 2005, 10:33
I'll send you ours too if you PM me your e-mail

(Lancaster Uni)

Tom B
-13th May 2005, 10:46
:D thanks everyone for their swift replys. Unfortunately its the type where if someone gets hurt we could get shut not the money sort.
I have to say everyone here is great i post yesterday and already have replys, you guys rock.

ceprab
-16th May 2005, 11:12
Major risk from fencing - muscle strain. (relatively low damage, moderately likely to happen, especially in a lunge if not used to the exercise, especially if people don't warm up.)

High damage risks most in need of attention are penetrative injuries. Probability is low. Safety measures in place - mask, jacket, plastron, breeches (find and attach a copy of the BFA guidelines - but then you will need to make sure that you meet them for insurance, so depending on what kit you already have you may need to screw more money out of the union).
Major good practice safety point - safety talk given to beginners at the staert of their fencing covering:

Handling of weapons when not fighting (Do not point them at people. Do not gesticulate with them. Hold them by the tip, handle hanging downwards if not fighting.)

How to put kit on (No lefties in righty jackets and vice versa most importantly If you need 2 hands to put a mask on, put your sword down first if you wonder why, consider holding a foil by the handle and putting a mask on with both hands - where did the point go and were you aware of who was or was not there?)

Behaviour when fighting (If you or your opponent have no button on a steam weapon, don't use it. If a sword has an s bend (get someone to) straighten it. If a weapon has no tip don't use it (it's broken). If anyone yells halt at you, stop.)

Use of weapons (mostly from training rather than an initial talk, but encouraging not stabbing, relaxing and raising the hand after a hit is scored so the blade bends the right way (as opposed to leaning in so it goes straight), learn not to hard hit (especially not to do sabre from the elbow - did that, tennis elbow is not fun :o: :( ))

Note that fencing is one of the safest sports around, far less likely to result in injury or serious injury than most other sports likely to be done on campus.

I think that is more or less the list of risks and protective measures I came up with when I had to do that sort of thing. Have fun with the forms.

fencingmaster
-16th May 2005, 22:17
Tom B,
Apart from following the good advice from ceprab, it would be a good idea to download the BFAs safety doc from...
http://www.britishfencing.com/2004%20Safety%20Guidelines.doc

Safety includes such things as the suitability of premises etc

Here's an extract....

i) The venue is adequate for the activity.
ii) The venue has an adequate first aid kit.
iii) The class does not exceed recommended numbers for the available space and the available number of instructors.
iv) All fencers are aware of emergency evacuation procedures.
v) All fencers have been given a thorough briefing on good safety practices in fencing and been made aware of these BFA Safety Guidelines.
vi) All fencers have been advised of the correct use of the equipment and the potential dangers of mishandling it. (FOR FURTHER DETAILS SEE APPENDIX 1).

Not covered by the above, but often required by institutions is identification of any medical needs, eg asthma sufferers

ceprab
-18th May 2005, 14:03
Thanks for adding the link - I couldn't remember where I got it and am at work so didn't feel I ought to go and find it..... while browsing the forum is obviously OK ;)

Commander
-31st May 2005, 14:40
I will send you our form, very well set out.

Commander
-31st May 2005, 14:42
Sorry, I understand you have already been sent it.
Just been told.

Tom B
-31st May 2005, 16:00
No worrys thanks very much for the offer tho.

fnork
-7th June 2005, 21:33
Urgh risk assessment... good luck with it!

Tom B
-7th June 2005, 22:20
Thankfully its all done and handed back now. A big thanks to everyone who helped me out and all those that offered.

Tom

fencingmaster
-2nd February 2006, 22:20
http://portal.surrey.ac.uk/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/SAFETY/GENERAL/STUDENTS/BUCPEA.PDF

So has anyone had to fill out this risk assement? Go to above link for pdf file and go to page75 - risk assessment for fencing.

Your comments please.
Specifically ...
4.3 ...yes or no/ is this a double negative?
4.4...how can I tell?
5.5...am I permitted to undress the student?
11.1... we use black paint...is my insurance invalid?
11.2...how can I check ...is this a safety hazard?
16.3..is there an electrician in the salle?

finally... who wrote this?

Rdb811
-3rd February 2006, 00:22
I found thewhole thing too depressing for words - the problem is that this sort of thing just wates time without actually preventing accidents.