PDA

View Full Version : French/Pistol grips.

AMC
-17th May 2005, 13:15
I always teach beginer's with a french grip for at least a year. Then if they wish they can change. However I have problems getting new foils. Blades used to even cut down the handles for the smaller children. Now they get supplied from Scotland and all blades are I believe are brought in already cut down for Pistol grips. Is anybody else having this problem, getting French grips?:(

gbm
-17th May 2005, 14:12
All the major manufacturers will still make and sell long tang weapons, often either threaded or slotted (LP usually sell slotted, I think most other manfacturers use threaded)...

Farrago
-17th May 2005, 15:14
One of my friends attempted to buy a pistol grip blade recently (can't remember where from) but there wasn't a way of specifying so he presumed they would jsut send a long one that could be cut down either for french or pistol grip. His was indeed to short for french but he managed to get it replaced after a couple of emails.
If you get sent something that isn't suitable, the company should replace it for you.

AMC
-17th May 2005, 16:29
Thanks Farrago, its as I thought apart from LP the other suppliers seem to be getting the treaded blades cut down for pistol grips.
So if ordering French give lots of notice to the supplier.
If this is happening then it means more and more children are being trained with pistol grips from the start. Good or bad another thread maybe?

gbm
-17th May 2005, 16:45
Originally posted by Farrago
One of my friends attempted to buy a pistol grip blade recently (can't remember where from) but there wasn't a way of specifying so he presumed they would jsut send a long one that could be cut down either for french or pistol grip. His was indeed to short for french but he managed to get it replaced after a couple of emails.
If you get sent something that isn't suitable, the company should replace it for you.

If you order a blade for a pistol grip, you are going to get a blade cut down for pistol grip - manufacturers aren't going to start selling blades and then expect people to take a hacksaw to them to get them to fit! Why did he buy a pistol grip blade if he wanted it for something else?

Although a small reseller like Blades could potentially decide not to stock long tang blades any more, none of the major manufacturers would. And certainly LP wouldn't sell a blade with the 'assumption' that a certain length was wanted. A good manufacturer, if you don't tell them what sort of blade it is for, should ask you.

Leon Paul, Allstar/Uhlmann UK, Duellist, PBT UK and Gofence I bet all sell French grip blades.

gbm
-17th May 2005, 16:57
Could Barry, Wingnut or Kingkenny say whether they sell more French or Pistol grip foils these days?
I would guess that pistol grips probably outsell French grips about 3 to 1, but it could be less.

Farrago
-17th May 2005, 22:50
Sorry Goodbadandme, I was a bit tired when I wrote that (that's the problem with going out drinking then getting up at 6am to go shooting) so got myself all mixed up, he was actually wanting a french grip (well actually italian grip but french grip appears to be as close as he can get).
Hmmm, now do I get up in the morning to go shooting or have a lie-in until 7.30am....

Baldric
-17th May 2005, 22:56
Originally posted by goodbadandme
I
Although a small reseller like Blades could potentially decide not to stock long tang blades any more, none of the major manufacturers would.......

..... Allstar/Uhlmann UK, ......I bet all sell French grip blades.

Errr....I thought that Blades WERE Allstar/Uhlmann UK?

At the IOW I was trying to collect AMC's order for the French Grip foils from Allstar/Uhlmann/Blades stand, only to have a very nice young lady tell me that the "special order" for Mr AMC had been delayed..........

It seems a lot more sensible to me to sell a French Grip length weapon than a Pistol grip length. I can cut the former down to the latter, but I have never worked out a way to lengthen the latter to the former!

gbm
-18th May 2005, 11:34
Originally posted by Baldric
Errr....I thought that Blades WERE Allstar/Uhlmann UK?

You are probably right ;)
I'm very confused.

At the IOW I was trying to collect AMC's order for the French Grip foils from Allstar/Uhlmann/Blades stand, only to have a very nice young lady tell me that the "special order" for Mr AMC had been delayed..........

It seems a lot more sensible to me to sell a French Grip length weapon than a Pistol grip length. I can cut the former down to the latter, but I have never worked out a way to lengthen the latter to the former!

Allstar UK do sell French grip weapons on their web site.
I agree that all retailers should sell long tang weapons, since these can be cut done (and if neccessary threaded)...

As a side note, on Blades website, the default prices are for weapons with French grips, it says to add 2 for an aluminium pistol grip.

AMC
-18th May 2005, 11:41
So now its a special order for French grip foils?? Mmmmmm.
Baldric, super glue any GOOD:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

AMC
-18th May 2005, 11:46
I think Grahams hands are tied, as he is now part of Allstar UK
all the ordering is done from Scotland. Its a shame because in the past he would have blades in stock and would even cut the handles down for very young children.:(

Canis
-18th May 2005, 12:05
Originally posted by Baldric

Baldric

lengthening a blade tang.

If it is a LP epee blade you could send it back to be re- tanged

Theres no reason why you couldn't cut the remaining circular section of the tang away from the square section, drill a hole in the square section and rethread it . Probably would need to be a M4 thread though you could then make up an M6 threaded steel bar with a M4 section on one end.

Theres a fair bit of risk of screwing it up though so no-one ever does- you can allways sell on a pistol grip blade (new or used) and buy a new long tang blade.

nickos
-18th May 2005, 12:58
To order blades with long tangs for french grip handles you just replace the "p" in the Allstar product code with a "f"

AMC
-19th May 2005, 11:58
Tks for the reply's It not the ordering (I do most of my ordering over the phone) I think it the availibility of the blades that is now the problem.