PDA

View Full Version : University Club (failed/but ready to rise again!)

mikeuk
-7th June 2005, 12:41
Whilst doing my postgrad studies I started a fencing club at my uni:

http://www.gre.ac.uk/fencing/

Which because we were not getting any money from the University I just merged with Blackheath fencing club (my regular and closest). This was all going great until I decided that I wanted to go to China mid-way through my studies. I consequentially had to leave the club. From what I know now it has managed fizzle out because no one else had the continued to run the club.

In the future I hope to return to my studies (and start the club up again) and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any initiatives to help keep interest in the club?

For anyone who runs a uni club, any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Cheetara
-7th June 2005, 14:11
Don't run it all yourself.

Get a commitee together which has people of different years on it. That way as some people leave other people will be around to carry it on. Also people wont get used to one person doing everything for them.

Did you enter teams in BUSA and stuff like that?

mikeuk
-7th June 2005, 15:39
Originally posted by Cheetara
Don't run it all yourself.

Get a commitee together which has people of different years on it. That way as some people leave other people will be around to carry it on. Also people wont get used to one person doing everything for them.

Did you enter teams in BUSA and stuff like that?

We never entered anyone in the University Leagues because apart from myself, all the others were beginners. I did elect a mens and womens team captain, but one graduated (and left) and the other just left (Charming!).

Its a good idea getting a person from every year though and setting up a committee....thanks.

Russell1985
-7th June 2005, 20:17
Speaking from almost no experience at all but a disproportionate belief in my own wisdom: Committee is essential. I'd also suggest many social events and a structured beginners course once ur established. A website and newsletter might be worthwhile once you've expanded.

I do hope every1 appreciates these little pearls of wisdom.... who's giggling!?

Rdb811
-7th June 2005, 21:52
Originally posted by Russell1985
SCommittee is essential.

YES !!!!!!!!!

Tom B
-7th June 2005, 22:23
socials are the key :D and theres nothing the matter with entering beginners into the busa league, we did it this year and we may not have won a single match but we had fun along the way and it got us hooked on fencing.

nutz
-11th June 2005, 21:10
A commitee is a definate, but it is important that everyone feels that they contribute to the club in some way so that they are proud of it.

It sounds like you are good at organising things, so organise a massive social to start off the term and deligate other people to organise more regular 'cooling down' socials.

Get to as many BUSA and opens as u can because there is nothing like competitions to improve fencing - winning is not the important issue.

Also consider having a club website, logo and clothing once you are established - again deligation is the key, play to peoples strengths.

I think the main thing is to have fun, take an interest in your fellow fencers and far from having to try to persuade them that fencing is brilliant and good excersise etc... they will be telling you how fantastic it is and convincing all their friends to join their new sport too!!!

Good Luck

:egg: :) :knight: :beer:

Canis
-13th June 2005, 10:16
Originally posted by Russell1985
Speaking from almost no experience at all but a disproportionate belief in my own wisdom: Committee is essential. I'd also suggest many social events and a structured beginners course once ur established. A website and newsletter might be worthwhile once you've expanded.

I do hope every1 appreciates these little pearls of wisdom.... who's giggling!?

When I ran my UNI club I found a Benevolent dictatorship worked better than a comittee. :rolleyes:

It also really annoyed the sports fed staff as well.

it is really important to keep regularly involving first and second years in the management structure so that the club doesn't fold when people leave .

AussieMongrel
-13th June 2005, 10:59
Really sad to see that it was not sucessfull as by the look of your web site you put a lot of effort in to it. By the look of the photos it was predominatley Sabre so it really is a tragedy.

Dont worry I am sure the phoenix will rise from the ashes. Is there still a blakheath fencing club or did that fold as well.

If you want to see how to run a successfull fencing club from scratch check out www.sallegadaski.com from a standing start 2 years ago Tim has got a couple of hundred fencers on his books in all 3 weapons. The key to his success is group lessons, good coaches and making it fun while concentrating on the pysical fitness rather than the competative side of fencing. His business model for fencing is excellent and while he may not be producing that many competative fencers he is cleaning up in other areas i.e. I dont think he has to work anymore.

Canis
-20th June 2005, 09:42
Originally posted by AussieMongrel

Dont worry I am sure the phoenix will rise from the ashes. Is there still a blakheath fencing club or did that fold as well.

:sabre2:

Blackheath is still very much alive and kicking!!

AussieMongrel
-20th June 2005, 10:09
Do you have many sabraurs there?

Canis
-20th June 2005, 10:22
At blackheath we have a smattering of sabreurs ranging from beginner to not bad! no madly competetive top 50 types though.
We've allways got a new timings box available!

not a bad after fencing pub either ( this being imoportant to us sabreurs)

We have some good foilists too

Though epee is considered the Devils weapon and avoided at all costs

AussieMongrel
-20th June 2005, 11:01
What days and times do you meet, thought I had been to just about every london club that does Sabre but always keen to try a new one.

Canis
-20th June 2005, 12:01
Blackheath meets on as tuesday between 7.30 & 9.30 ish
at
John Roan Lower School, Westcombe Park Road, Blackheath, London, SE3 7QR