PDA

View Full Version : Starting in Sept 05

Lenny
-14th June 2005, 19:36
Is anyone starting uni this autumn? If so what are the fencing clubs like at the universities?

p.s. any fencers at royal holloway pm me and let me know about the club!

Boo Boo
-14th June 2005, 20:39
This is worth looking at - http://www.busa.org.uk/core_files\Uni%20FC%20Guide(1).htm (doesn't cover Royal Holloway though... :( ).

Boo

Baldric
-14th June 2005, 21:08
Originally posted by Lenny
Is anyone starting uni this autumn? If so what are the fencing clubs like at the universities?

p.s. any fencers at royal holloway pm me and let me know about the club!

Royal Holloway - yay - my alma mater!

Don't know about the fencing at the college, but Egham have quite an active club, and its just a mile or so down the road!

Lift a pint in the "Happy Man" in my memory!

Edit - Lenny - just remembered who you are. And Holloway used to be such a discriminating institution! (Except for allowing me in!)
Best of luck

Baldric

AMC
-15th June 2005, 10:06
Will U have a car??, If so give Salle Boston a visit.:)

UglyBug
-15th June 2005, 10:20
Isn't Chrystall Nicholl starting at Holloway this Sept?

Libby
-15th June 2005, 10:57
Thanks for putting a link to the Guide Boo

Its a bit sparse at the moment but if your uni is not up then please send me some more info and I'll put it up asap.

All the info can be found at www.busa.org.uk/fencing (http://www.busa.org.uk/fencing)

J_D
-15th June 2005, 12:56
I had a look at the league results as I'm going to be at UWE in september and found this:

"Top 1st team to Championship. 2nd, 3rd & 4th placed 1st teams to Shield. Top 2nd team to Trophy. Top 1st team to promotion playoffs. BUSA's National Committee reserves the right to amend these knockout qualification and promotion / relegation details in exceptional circumstances. University of the West of England have withdrawn from this league and will be relegated"

Any idea where they will be relegated to, and what I can do about improving their results?

Lenny
-15th June 2005, 16:32
Originally posted by AMC
Will U have a car??, If so give Salle Boston a visit.:)

i won't have a car, but i've looked at Egham's website and it seems like a very nice club

pigeonmeister
-15th June 2005, 18:10
Originally posted by J_D
I had a look at the league results as I'm going to be at UWE in september and found this:

University of the West of England have withdrawn from this league and will be relegated"

Any idea where they will be relegated to, and what I can do about improving their results?

There is nothing below the provincial leagues- it is impossible to be relegated but if there is no club or not enough people willing to be in a team then they have to withdraw. I reckon the first way of improving results would be to get at least three average to decent fencers willing to travel. It's not a particularly tough league (Western) so it's not that hard to improve results to mid table status quite quickly. It all depends on who comes to uni in the new year, we have had a girl who went from never picking up a weapon to coming in L16 of BUSA sabre individuals, all in a few months. Ultimately, however, getting in a lot of talentedbeginners will obviously only help you in the medium term. The only way you can compete with the bigger universities is if you attract very good fencers. Mkse sure everybody who can fence, however well, knows about the club when they get there.

If you can try and persuade those who are at the club to train with the many excellent fencers in the region then they will surely improve?

J_D
-16th June 2005, 08:20
Sounds like a plan, roll on September!

mozzar
-16th June 2005, 15:37
I'll be going to Aberystwyth uni where they can behold the joys of my piss poor footwork.

Tom B
-16th June 2005, 22:18
Yay 2 more people to kick my ass in the western league then :D

Watch out for plymouth uni we were glued to the bottom last year but this year is going to be different...

Maybe

J_D
-17th June 2005, 08:34
I'll look forward to it Mwuuuuuuhaaaaaaaahhhaaaaaaaaaaah!

mattv
-18th June 2005, 23:52
Originally posted by mozzar
I'll be going to Aberystwyth uni where they can behold the joys of my piss poor footwork.

I shouldn't worry about it to much

strawberry
-19th June 2005, 17:34
Don't worry about it Mozzar, I'm sure once you've seen my footwork you won't worry about yours, ever. :)

mozzar
-21st June 2005, 14:31
Originally posted by strawberry
Don't worry about it Mozzar, I'm sure once you've seen my footwork you won't worry about yours, ever. :)

Someone whose footwork is worse than mine? Finally i can feel superior! :tongue:

I met Daniel from the Aber uni club; he's coming to the Pembroke club 'cus he's home for the summer. He says Aber is great and i really can't wait to come now.

strawberry
-21st June 2005, 21:04
Look forward to meeting you Mozzar, and then we'll see who has the worst footwork. :tongue:

Rdb811
-21st June 2005, 22:07
Originally posted by UglyBug
Isn't Chrystall Nicholl starting at Holloway this Sept?

Whats she done ??

Lenny
-22nd June 2005, 10:13
whats that supposed to mean? holloway kicks ass!

Boo Boo
-22nd June 2005, 10:22
Originally posted by Lenny
whats that supposed to mean? holloway kicks ass!

"Royal Holloway" is a great university. "Holloway" is a famous women's prison...

...I thought it was quite a funny play on words from Rdb :)

Boo

Lenny
-22nd June 2005, 10:46
:confused: lol! I see!!!

D'Artignan
-22nd June 2005, 10:51
Anyone coming up to sunny Dundee in the autumn?

Please?

You get used to the smell....

Eventually:confused:

Lenny
-22nd June 2005, 16:07
is it a dundee cake smell? if so i might consider it if i fail my exams!

D'Artignan
-22nd June 2005, 16:11
That's not quite how I would describe the smell, more dirty nappies and teenage mothers drinking Buckfast/meths, while smoking illegal substances. Apart from that, it's OK

PS If you don't believe me, come up and visit, it'll be, err, an experience.:dizzy:

Lenny
-22nd June 2005, 16:21
Originally posted by D'Artignan
That's not quite how I would describe the smell, more dirty nappies and teenage mothers drinking Buckfast/meths, while smoking illegal substances.

Made all the more pungent by the warm weather? Perhaps I'll just turn up in the autumn!

D'Artignan
-22nd June 2005, 16:26
No, just the view's made even worse by said teenage mothers (not one of whom seems to weigh less than 20 stones) wearing the skimpiest clothing they can pour themselves into:helpbanne :sabre2: :stop: :ahahhhhhh

PS Can we get a "sickness" smilie, please?

Lenny
-22nd June 2005, 16:31
sounds fairly similar to southampton!

D'Artignan
-22nd June 2005, 16:36
Remind me not to go there for a comp then. Seeing those "sights" 5 days a week is bad enough without getting those delights at the weekend as well.

Tom B
-23rd June 2005, 11:31
Ahh the joys of southampton. Thankfully go a little west and noone is quite so fat :D