PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

Mr_MartinQc
-30th June 2003, 20:30
Hi Everyone.

Just like to say I find the information contained in these pages very interesting. I am interested in starting fencing I have never done it before dont and even know why I have become interested to be honest, I am male and 22 years of age and keen to start as soon as possible. I have no idea how to join a club or association or where I can sign up for lessons/ classes. I understand there are two associations in my area. One in Sheffield and one in Doncaster. I would feel a bit of afool to be honest approaching them as I dont know enough about the sport.

I also have no idea on how much tuition will cost. I dont know how much the equipment will be or where I can obtain it from.

Any advice offered would be appreciated?

jerry
-30th June 2003, 21:04
Hello there MartinQC and welcome to the forum.

Am sure you will get lots of replies but just thought I could give some advice from what I have learnt in the eight wks that I have been fencing-due to complete my beginner's course in two wks time! Don't feel foolish, we all start somewhere mate! Or should I say Sir!!!?
Either look up your local club in your phone book or on the net using the search engine-contact them and find out when the next beginners course starts. I did this and it made no difference to them that I knew nothing about fencing-because its for people completely new to the sport. My course cost 20 pounds for the whole 10 wks.
Equipment is provided, I think this is the same at most clubs cos of cost. You can start to buy your own kit in when you think after a while you like it enough to stick at it. There is a shop here on this site for those lucky enough with credit cards! Its expensive this sport, a basic beginners kit is about 150 pounds. (Sorry the pound key not working on my keyboard!)
Most clubs meet once a week for about two hrs but beginners usually for an hr.

You may be left or right-handed, don't worry, (the grip hold is different on both), both will be available to you. If you are in the minority like me of being a leftie-don't let em put you off cos if you get good then you will have a slight advantage over the right handers!!! And its alot of fun! Good luck-go for it cos its BRILL!

Tubby
-30th June 2003, 22:41
Jez seems to have said it all really. Clubs needs newcomers to the sport and we all started from ground zero. I sure I'm not the only fencer who remembers when he couldn't walk or step forward without difficulty let alone step back, then the pain the next day, oh the pain.

http://www.britishfencing.com/yorkshire_%26_humberside_clu.html
http://members.aol.com/YFence/

Marcos
-1st July 2003, 07:35
welcome to the community - there has been no better time to start fencing!

the BFA website link that was posted above has loads of info and links to clubs in your area.

so have fun, make friends, and all the best

Muso440
-1st July 2003, 08:20
Just to follow up on what Jerry says: it's possible that not every club will run a beginners course as such, if it's small. But in that case they will probably be happy if you just turn up and they will teach you on a more laid back one-to-one basis as you go along. But be prepared to be thrown in the deep end! And be prepared to feel rubbish at first, but don't let that put you off. The fun far outweighs it! :)

neochrome
-1st July 2003, 10:14
I was in a similar position a couple of months back - I live in Barnsley so not a million miles away either, anyway just turn up to one - there are loads in sheff ( and even one here in Sunny Barnsley ) most ( if not all ) will lend you all the equipment you need and subs cost a few pounds ( the place I go is 3 quid a time )

Be warned its one of the most adictive things in the world - and my bank balance has already been hit several times ( club kit is free to use but sort of a yellow colour :grin: so before long you'll want your own )

Have fun and go for it

P.

Cheetara
-1st July 2003, 11:48
Try Sheffield Buccaneers, it's run by Adam Blight and train on wednesdays, there isn't a beginners course as such but beginners are welcome. It has kit to borrow and subs are 4 a night

Mr_MartinQc
-1st July 2003, 21:29
thanks for the advice everyone, it has quite honestly gone some way in preparing me for what to expect. To be quite honest I can wait to start I do have a question for

Neochronme, You state there is a club in Barnsley. I only put on the form that I was from Sheffield because I thought there would be more of a chance of there being an association in Sheffield, it never occured to me that Barnsley would have a club. Barnsley would be MUCH EASIER FOR ME LOGISTICALLY. do you have the details of who I can contact / write to and the venue.

Thanks also to the other chaps for the welcome I think I am going to enjoy myself.... call it a feeling.

Mr_MartinQc
-1st July 2003, 22:02
thanks for the advice everyone, it has quite honestly gone some way in preparing me for what to expect. To be quite honest I can wait to start I do have a question for

Neochronme, You state there is a club in Barnsley. I only put on the form that I was from Sheffield because I thought there would be more of a chance of there being an association in Sheffield, it never occured to me that Barnsley would have a club. Barnsley would be MUCH EASIER FOR ME LOGISTICALLY. do you have the details of who I can contact / write to and the venue.

Thanks also to the other chaps for the welcome I think I am going to enjoy myself.... call it a feeling.

neochrome
-1st July 2003, 23:04
Its in Darton High School - Monday eve 6:00 till 7:00 ( usually 7:30 ) 3 a session, coach is Adam Blight and all equipment is provided.

I'll send some more info on p.m.

P.