PDA

View Full Version : Baseball gets the chop, Fencing and Penthalon survives

ChubbyHubby
-8th July 2005, 08:39
Looks like there WILL be fencing in 2012!!

The IOC had their vote and Baseball and Softball is chucked out. Modern Penthalon was also one up for the chop but survived.

Fencing didn't even get mentioned, so must have sailed through the secret ballots.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/4658925.stm

Louis CB
-8th July 2005, 09:06
:party: :pirate:

hokers
-8th July 2005, 09:35
Woohooo!

Personally I think synchronised diving ought to be dropped before fencing, what the hell is that all about?

Naughty foilist
-8th July 2005, 09:43
Originally posted by hokers
Woohooo!

Personally I think synchronised diving ought to be dropped before fencing, what the hell is that all about?

Much the same as beach volleyball. Sleek toned bodies wrapped in clinging fabrics.

Having said that I thought the Men's Synchronised Diving was a pleasure to watch. Flatline was equally as happy with the Women's event. :)

vil
-8th July 2005, 09:51
Originally posted by hokers
Woohooo!

Couldn't agree more. Diving? Fine. Synchronised diving? WTF?!? And then there's rhythmic gymnastics... :mad:

Boo Boo
-8th July 2005, 10:22
Question now is which team events were will be in the fencing.... women's foil and women's sabre still out???

Boo

JulianRose
-8th July 2005, 10:47
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Question now is which team events were will be in the fencing.... women's foil and women's sabre still out???

Boo

i think is meant to go on a rotation. suspect will be a ballot between other four at the next olympics, then the final two at london 2012 that miss out.

Insipiens
-8th July 2005, 10:51
Originally posted by JulianRose
i think is meant to go on a rotation. suspect will be a ballot between other four at the next olympics, then the final two at london 2012 that miss out.
Is that on the assumption that the FIE gets to decide? I would have thought that was highly unlikely without reference to the IOC. Does the IOC say to swimming - you can have twenty competitions, decide which?

Boo Boo
-8th July 2005, 11:40
Originally posted by Insipiens
Is that on the assumption that the FIE gets to decide? I would have thought that was highly unlikely without reference to the IOC. Does the IOC say to swimming - you can have twenty competitions, decide which?

This is my point. I have asked a number of times which team events will be included and there just doesn't seem to be an answer.

Ok, you could say that it hasn't been decided yet, but it is only 3 years before the next Olympics. Surely individuals should know where to focus their efforts and federations chould know where to focus their funding/efforts...

Pressumably Olympic qualifying starts in May 2007 - that's now less than two years away...

Boo

Marcos
-8th July 2005, 12:12
excellent - imagine how it would affect funding if Olympic status were taken away?

important that fencing grows into a sport enjoyed in more countries - that way more members of the IOC will vote for its inclusion

glad penathlon stays, but surprised squash didn't get in...a much more "amateur" sport that tennis, for instance

ChubbyHubby
-8th July 2005, 12:24
From the bbc page: Rugby union sevens, squash, golf, karate and roller skating were all bidding to become part of the Games.

International Olympic Committee members went through seven rounds of voting to decide which two of the five sports should be put up for a vote to give them Olympic status.

Squash and karate were selected, before members overwhelmingly rejected their bids to join the Olympic programme.

International Olympic Committee members held a secret ballot to decide which sports to axe from the existing list of 28 ahead of the London Games in 2012.

Does this mean that there are now 2 medals up for grabs since no new sports have been added? (assuming 1 each for Baseball and Softball and not more i.e. Womens' Baseball or something)

Keith.A.Smith
-8th July 2005, 12:35
The FIE Congress in November in Qatar will decide the programme for 2008. At present I think it will be 6 individual and 4 team but it is not clear which teams wil be out.Logically WS and WF xshould be in and WE out and for the men one team to be dropped.

But Epee is more gobal some will say, then national self interests will come into play.

In Athens Greece were allowed 8 fencers in total.

Keith

Keith.A.Smith
-8th July 2005, 12:38
Dear All,

It was vitally important to us that fencing was on the programme for 2012. Excellent news.

keith

Gangsta G
-8th July 2005, 12:59
Excellent news - surprised that squash and karate didn't make it though.

If there are 2 less sports than before then maybe we could find space for the 2 remaining team events... ;)

natsgrant
-8th July 2005, 17:06
Well done for fencing - and London. It's great that more Brits will be assured a place.

Is nobody questioning the inclusion of roller skating in that article?

Or are you all secret skating fans...? (I blade, but still.)

Rdb811
-8th July 2005, 23:41
Too shocked for it to have registered.

Fundamentally, fencing not being in the Olympics would have ended the sport.

Any chance we could hold it somewhere other than the Ally Pally - like The Globe (less far for me to lug the laptop).

haggis
-9th July 2005, 22:01
Originally posted by Naughty foilist
Much the same as beach volleyball. Sleek toned bodies wrapped in clinging fabrics.

Having said that I thought the Men's Synchronised Diving was a pleasure to watch. Flatline was equally as happy with the Women's event. :)

This perhaps explains why fencing is constantly up for debate as an olympic sport, i.e. masks and clothing that covers the entire body. If we want to be sure of continuing our place in the Olympics we probably need to find a way of "sexing-up" the sport (pitiful though that may be). At least we now have some more time to work out how and I think it's safe to assume that the new timings are not the answer...

Regards

Haggis

vil
-10th July 2005, 21:49
Originally posted by haggis
This perhaps explains why fencing is constantly up for debate as an olympic sport, i.e. masks and clothing that covers the entire body. If we want to be sure of continuing our place in the Olympics we probably need to find a way of "sexing-up" the sport (pitiful though that may be).
800N clothing that fits like those all-body swimsuits...? :dizzy:

gbm
-10th July 2005, 22:13
Originally posted by vil
800N clothing that fits like those all-body swimsuits...? :dizzy:

And obligatory DD+ size chest protectors for all female fencers...

thedoc
-10th July 2005, 22:31
the fencing is being held in a hall on the main olympic park. ally pally was on the old bid document, which they changedo in order to make it more compact.