PDA

View Full Version : MF, ME, MS and WS teams in Beijing Olympics?!

Boo Boo
-21st July 2005, 17:24
According to the "Special Rules" letter posted on the FIE website (was pointed in the right direction by Estoc), MF, ME, MS and WS are the proposed team events in the next Olympics - WF (again) and WE will miss out.

http://www.fie.ch/download/letters/2005/urgent/10/en/reunion%2013%20juin%2005-ANG.pdf

The FIE argues that more men fence than women, so this is perfectly acceptable :confused: :confused: :confused:

Personally I don't think it is - the FIE basically promised that WF would be back in for the next Olympics... Would imagine that, internationally, there will be a lot of peeved women foilists...

So the good news is that the current BFA emphasis on WS (and complete ignorance of WF and WE) seems to be well placed. The good news for WF is that it should be the proposed women's team event for 2012 (London)...

Boo

JulianRose
-21st July 2005, 17:46
this will surely be challenged like last time, and a new decision will be organised.

doobarz
-21st July 2005, 19:20
Originally posted by Boo Boo
So the good news is that the current BFA emphasis on WS (and complete ignorance of WF and WE) seems to be well placed. The good news for WF is that it should be the proposed women's team event for 2012 (London)...

Boo

Is this the case? Is it an emphasis and a ignorance?

Gangsta G
-22nd July 2005, 01:50
Inclusion of MF & WS should be good for GB shouldn't it as we have the best chance in these weapons?

toblerone
-22nd July 2005, 06:49
Originally posted by Gangsta G
Inclusion of MF & WS should be good for GB shouldn't it as we have the best chance in these weapons?

It's probably less about the INclusion of events than about the EXclusion of others... Why not have MF, ME, MS, WS + WF, WE? It seems very unfair in comparison to other sports which have loads of events. E.g. swimming- all combinations of distances, styles, relays.... Obviously it gets a lot more TV coverage (as I discovered last year, every time I switched my TV on!), but shouldn't the Olympics ultimately be about the sport...? (ok, that's a naive question :( )

Marcos
-22nd July 2005, 07:01
a little naive

actually I'd rather WF were in, and surprised the FIE don't think the same - WF on the whole are far better looking than MS :grin:

tongue in cheek, but you get the point...WF present a better marketing opportunity - the more the merrier I reckon.

wingnutLP
-22nd July 2005, 08:04
The IOC has given the FIE a limited number of medals it is just a question of where to "spend" them.

ChubbyHubby
-22nd July 2005, 08:47
Originally posted by Marcos
a little naive

actually I'd rather WF were in, and surprised the FIE don't think the same - WF on the whole are far better looking than MS :grin:

tongue in cheek, but you get the point...WF present a better marketing opportunity - the more the merrier I reckon.

Actually, on that basis shouldn't WE be included then? WEs on average are even better looking than WFs (disclaimer: there are exceptions, after all I married a WF etc etc :grin: ), and certainly on average less scary than WSs.

ChubbyHubby
-22nd July 2005, 08:50
Originally posted by wingnutLP
The IOC has given the FIE a limited number of medals it is just a question of where to "spend" them.

As in ("spending a penny")'ing it all away?

Australian
-22nd July 2005, 09:55
Boo,

surely WF individual only at Beijing is better for Britian (and australia), as neither country will have any chance of qualifying by teams, which means there are more individual places available by zone.

Boo Boo
-22nd July 2005, 10:37
Originally posted by Australian
surely WF individual only at Beijing is better for Britian (and australia), as neither country will have any chance of qualifying by teams, which means there are more individual places available by zone.

It's not good for the women's foil or for women's foil in the UK (which doesn't take WF team at all seriously...).

Gangsta G
-22nd July 2005, 14:10
Is there any reason why the IOC only allows the FIE a total of 10/12 events in the olympics? How do they justify it?

rpryer
-22nd July 2005, 14:36
There were originally 10 events - team and individual at MF, WF, ME, WE and MS. When WS was included, they refused to allow any more medals.

So we now have 6 individual events and 4 team.

Australian
-22nd July 2005, 14:44
Originally posted by Boo Boo
It's not good for the women's foil or for women's foil in the UK (which doesn't take WF team at all seriously...).

exactly. So if your WF teams are not taken seriously, british WF fencers are expected to qualify individually, and if there is no teams event at the olympic games, there are more spaces for individuals

Boo Boo
-22nd July 2005, 15:18
Originally posted by Australian
exactly. So if your WF teams are not taken seriously, british WF fencers are expected to qualify individually, and if there is no teams event at the olympic games, there are more spaces for individuals

Yes, but it is - at least in my opinion - the wrong approach: where is the team spirit, where is the momentum etc.etc? It may be an old fashioned theory, but people who train and work well together as a team will probably feed off of this and perform better as individuals.

For example, I feel that (by watching the different approaches of different women's weapons in the UK) the approach taken by women's sabre makes the most sense - I would imagine that their more team oriented approach has helped to bring on the individuals.

Yes, fencing is (at the end of the day) an inidividual sport, but I don't think that a completely individual/isolated approach is the best approach.

Boo

Parsifal
-24th July 2005, 23:13
Too bad that fencing is such a spectator-poor sport. I was at the Peter Bakonyi World Cup in Vancouver a week ago and the attendence was so sparce. Sad indeed.

Any man who has seen Sophie Lamon (SUI) fence epee will consider fencing a spectator sport for the remainder of his earthly life. OMG. Sharraine Mackay (CAN) is not too hard on the eyes either.....