PDA

View Full Version : Does your protection actually work?

Flaxen_Renegade
-5th July 2003, 17:13
:upset:Sometimes I really don't see the point in sweating so much when I come out with the same damage on covered parts of my body as I get on those parts that are exposed. Has your protective gear ever really protected you? The only things I truly value are my Chest Protector and my Mask.:fencingsm

reposte
-6th July 2003, 13:37
Granted that most fencing clothing leaves much to be desired in way of cosmetic protection on your skin, you must understand that various types of clothing and protective gear functions towards different purposes and with different effectiveness.
Most non FIE clothing is in one word - crap. It offers no real protection and is very un elastic.
FIE clothing is not supposed to stop you from hurting neither are plastrons. They are there to stop the blade from penetrating
to your body. So in the way of comfort, I really don't know which brand of which company also offers especially thick training suits.
I know that such were issued to the Russian fencers along time ago, special thick suits made for training, but I don't know
if there's a western company that manufactures them. The rest of this forum's attendants are required to help you with that.

Point is, it's not suppose to be painless or stainless when it comes to bruising.

Flaxen_Renegade
-6th July 2003, 17:16
Who said anything about bruises? I'm not a total Pansy! :) I'm talking about chipped bones and drawing blood! I expect it to hurt and to bruise me (I actually find that a rather fun bit of motivation :tongue: ) but I don't see the point in wearing the kit if my normal clothes will give me almost the same protection. My glove even CAUSED some bleeding!:eekk2: What is the point? :shrug:

doobarz
-6th July 2003, 17:23
Originally posted by Flaxen_Renegade
Who said anything about bruises? I'm not a total Pansy! :) I'm talking about chipped bones and drawing blood! I expect it to hurt and to bruise me (I actually find that a rather fun bit of motivation :tongue: ) but I don't see the point in wearing the kit if my normal clothes will give me almost the same protection. My glove even CAUSED some bleeding!:eekk2: What is the point? :shrug:

Sounds like you have some serious kit issues! Or your fencing someone really bad! Let's have some more details, and see what we can come up with.....

reposte
-6th July 2003, 17:25
Penetration of a broken blade, serious injury. Your regular clothes are very likely to tear and let the point penetrate you should the blade break,
whereas almost all fencing materials are much better immuned for this type of occurrence.

Hudson
-6th July 2003, 18:36
nothing out side a suit of armour is going to provide perfect protection. i've had major bruising and some nasty cuts and a few years ago i managed to by accident fracture one guys ribs at epee. it happens

Barry Paul
-7th July 2003, 10:27
hi,
I am sorry you keep getting hurt. different manufacturers and there clothing offer different levels of protection from bruising, although they must be made to a minium penetration resistance for level one ( generally refered to as 350 Newton level and is the minimum level) and level 2 (F.I.E. standard) Reaching these levels can be acheived with one or more layers. Leon Paul clothing is almost always double layered to give extra protection from hard hits. The starter jackets 002 has a middle layer of wadding for extra protection. Plastrons can be supplied padded as can extra padding be added to the leading leg of breeches.
We are in the process of upgrading our 126 gloves with extra layers on the back of the palm while we do have available a new G128 glove with impact absorbing foam on the back of the hand. extending 4/5ths along the fingers.
The other major cause of brusing apart from violent actions are blades being used which are non regulation stiffness. Some imported blades are much too stiff and non regulation, while some size 0 2 and 3 blades are just shortened size 5 blades and much also too stiff. Barry Paul

Flaxen_Renegade
-7th July 2003, 10:40
It's not that I fence someone rubbish, more that I fence someone violent! On comparison of my "normal" clothes and my kit, they seem similarly strong and while I'm not going to mention brand names (for obvious reasons) I shall say that the kit I have is, in my opinion, the best on the market. I just think it might be worthwhile for companies to invest in research into more durable, lightweight materials that provide better protection even if they cost more. :tongue:

Flaxen_Renegade
-7th July 2003, 10:43
Ooh, wow, I just read that reply (not my one, the Barry Paul one), I LOVE Leon Paul! Your equipment is SO cool! Anyway.....love your stuff! Big thumbs up! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Marcos
-7th July 2003, 12:28
someone else looking for a discount....

Flaxen_Renegade
-7th July 2003, 12:48
I am SHOCKED!!!!! :eek: I'm not looking for a discount, I have all my equipment thank-you-very-much! :tongue:

Barry Paul
-7th July 2003, 14:47
If you see me at one of the open competitions say hallo and claim a t-Shirt for saying such nice things about our equipment. (with no prompting, Marcos wash your mouth out with soap and water!!!!!)

Flaxen_Renegade
-7th July 2003, 18:16
Okey doke! Will do!:grin: It is SO cool to talk to you! SO cool! I don't mean to suck up so much, I can't help it! Your equipment is the best, I wouldn't buy kit from anyone else! You rule!

Arturo
-8th July 2003, 09:43
OK...we had bydande and gofence as one and the same.

Now Flaxen Renegade and Barry Paul may also be the same individual.

Have to say, though, if Barry looks like Flaxen Renegade's pic now, he's eating too much oestrogen-laden chicken.

haggis
-8th July 2003, 10:54
Gotta say that if Barry and Flaxen Renegade are the same person, Barry has undergone some considerable (although not unpleasant) changes.

YeOlde Armourer
-8th July 2003, 11:16
Dear Barry
My daughter Adelia you just saw again at the US Summer Nat showed me the Sabre Glove nice design. I wish I could have been then were you could have see my repair booth setup. We repair about everything inclueding bags and lames and cars door locked at least once. The saying iis if I can't fixed buy new. My wife will custom fit a new lame on the spot for customers. I will overcome my problem and be back fixing weapons before you know it.

I can remenber you because of the time frame went we met. It's pepole I am have problem with.

TIM:sam:

jpc for now

rory
-8th July 2003, 11:28
Gotta say that if Barry and Flaxen Renegade are the same person, Barry has undergone some considerable (although not unpleasant) changes.

So barry now looks like Drew Barrymore, hmm?

Personally I'd rather have Haggis changed to look like Cameron Diaz, and Arturo changed to look like a small ugly ginger bloke... Oh. Whoops.

Arturo
-8th July 2003, 11:39
That's it Rory...I officially curse you for the British Champs. Once I have finished typing this, I'm going to dip some chicken feathers in a well of bull's blood and draw arcane symbols on my body.

Once I've finished doing that, I'll work out exactly how to curse you.

Anyway, you're only saying I'm ugly coz you know your ladyfriend stares lustily at my buttocks when I'm fencing. Only problem is, she sometimes has difficulty in telling which end is my ass and which is my face.

rory
-8th July 2003, 11:42
The ass is the end that's least full of s*** :tongue:
Have fun with the chicken feathers.

Barry Paul
-9th July 2003, 08:03
Can I make it clear that Flaxen-Raven and Barry Paul are not the same person I am much more attractive. Barry Raven (ops my secret is out)

hokers
-9th July 2003, 11:02
Originally posted by Barry Paul
If you see me at one of the open competitions say hallo and claim a t-Shirt for saying such nice things about our equipment. (with no prompting, Marcos wash your mouth out with soap and water!!!!!)

Ah how I love Leon Paul equipment, best I have ever had!
:grin:

Seriously though, it is usually pretty good stuff, but I can't afford to shop there all the time. Location is also a bit out of the way for me as I dont work in London any more.

Having another Sale any time soon Barry?

hokers

Flaxen_Renegade
-9th July 2003, 16:48
I only have one name on here and it's this one! I am me and I'm unlike anyone else! Seriously, I mean I wear Hockey socks on random days, you can't think I'm anything like anyone else! Ooh, I just added a Violin to my collection of instruments I can't play :) That makes 15! Woohoo!
(Also I wouldn't suck up to myself, even for a laugh; myself and I, we don't get on)