PDA

View Full Version : Vision Masks



aao
-23rd August 2005, 12:36
Does anybody (Barry?) know the rules about the use of those horrible vision masks at A-grades and World Championshsips this year. I know that at sabre they're compulsory, but do the rest of us have to wear them? I always thought that they were putting in a rule that you only needed them from the L64 of Grand Prix events and Worlds onwards, but apparently I could be wrong........

Also why oh why do they insist on fencers having to have national strips on both legs!!! grrrrrrrrrr :mad:

tigger
-23rd August 2005, 14:45
I know - the cool fencers always only had them on one side ;)

John Rohde
-23rd August 2005, 14:50
Originally posted by aao
Also why oh why do they insist on fencers having to have national strips on both legs!!! grrrrrrrrrr :mad:

I suppose for the benefit of spectators.
I've seen a Vision Mask with Contour fitting fall off on a halted lunge; The weight of the visor seems to lever the mask off. Is it a general problem?

Threestain
-23rd August 2005, 14:55
This would be invaluable, as I need a new mask, and don't want to buy one and then find I need a see-through one too!

aao
-23rd August 2005, 15:39
At around 100 or so for a see through mask, thats around 11 extra hits I have to score at the worlds to keep the points to pounds conversion under 10 a point!!!!! :( (training tommorow me thinks at this rate I'm going to have to win a DE :( :( :( )

As for problems with the vision masks, I know a number of top epeeists were point blank refusing to wear them in the past due to saftey concerns, I wonder what they'll do if this rul has come into force.......

Neo
-29th August 2005, 02:55
Originally posted by John Rohde
I suppose for the benefit of spectators.
I've seen a Vision Mask with Contour fitting fall off on a halted lunge; The weight of the visor seems to lever the mask off. Is it a general problem?

They're no heavier than normal masks, if not lighter; at least LP's one, since I haven't seen or used any other manufacturers' whose may well be heavier.

fencerbill
-29th August 2005, 20:58
Originally posted by aao
Does anybody (Barry?) know the rules about the use of those horrible vision masks at A-grades and World Championshsips this year. I know that at sabre they're compulsory, but do the rest of us have to wear them? I always thought that they were putting in a rule that you only needed them from the L64 of Grand Prix events and Worlds onwards, but apparently I could be wrong........

Also why oh why do they insist on fencers having to have national strips on both legs!!! grrrrrrrrrr :mad:

They will be mandatory for all three weapons after the World Championships at Leipzig.

And there is no relief for Veterans, even though this is the only event for which the rules require them. Except for those few individuals who won't accept that they are Veterans.

I understand that you from Britain and many other countries can buy strips and have them sewn on. The US design is copyrighted by one firm who are the only ones that can apply them.

John Rohde
-6th September 2005, 20:54
Originally posted by Neo
They're no heavier than normal masks, if not lighter; at least LP's one, since I haven't seen or used any other manufacturers' whose may well be heavier.

I wonder if the weight disribution is different; higher up on the front of the mask? The times I've seen a vision mask fall off it has been an LP one (as I mentioned, it had a Co0ntour fitting, so it had to be LP) - I haven't seen anyone elses in the flesh at all.

tigger
-7th September 2005, 16:31
Could have been my mask falling off. The reason for that was the elastic on the back was worn and the velcro kept coming apart. I couldn't be bothered to change it cos I love the thrill of never knowing when I'm going to lose an eye :grin: now it's got new velcro/elastic on it never comes off (even in bed..)