PDA

View Full Version : Best Sabre

Jenrick
-8th July 2003, 11:49
I'm on the lookout for a sabre. Having only started it recently I want advice on the best value one to buy. Are the gold blade ones I've seen about worth the dosh?

doobarz
-8th July 2003, 17:22
If the blades to which you refer are the Allstar gold ones, they are OK, tough some people have found they are quite soft and break quickly.

My personnal favorite are the PBT Blades, though there is not a company that imports them at a decent price - find someone who's going to Hungary to bring you some back (of course, paying all relevent Customs Charges)

I have some LP & some Allstar components. The best thing to do is to fiddle about, and find what suits you best.

reposte
-8th July 2003, 18:08
I'm not a sabreuer and I'm just looking to help a new guy, but the PBT's have got some wonderful feedback
on this forum. See best blades thread on this section.

Again - NOT a sabreuer.

Jenrick
-8th July 2003, 18:59
Thanks for the info, I believe battling(if i can mention the name) do PBT equipment. I'll give them a call.

YeOlde Armourer
-8th July 2003, 21:48
The best sabre is one that is built with a leon Paul Blade guard with a leather handle and the cheapest blades as they blance better then PBT blades do. My daugther Adelia when she was 15 was ranked on the british point standing as num9 using this comb.

Tim Loomis
Ye Olde Armourer

Homer
-9th July 2003, 06:09
[QUOTE]Originally posted by YeOlde Armourer
[B]The best sabre is one that is built with a leon Paul Blade guard with a leather handle and the cheapest blades as they blance better then PBT blades do. My daugther Adelia when she was 15 was ranked on the british point standing as num9 using this comb.

Not too sure about the leather handle!! too slippy, not enough control. and if you do go with the L.P guard + cheap blade you have to be careful not to make the whole thing too heavy, go for one of the duellist gold blades and the L.P guard with any rubber/ non leather handle

Marcos
-9th July 2003, 09:27
Originally posted by Jenrick
I'm on the lookout for a sabre. Having only started it recently I want advice on the best value one to buy. Are the gold blade ones I've seen about worth the dosh?

Jenrick,
FYI

The sabres I lent you last month were from Duellist and actually cheaper than most
www.duellist.com

tigger
-9th July 2003, 09:40
Everyone's different! I think almost all LP products are excellent, but I think their sabres are generally appalling, Hate the guards, hate the blades, and hate leather grips! I think the PBT complete sabre is fantastic. Their blades are without doubt the best. One of our guys brought 20 back from the European Veterans Champs in moscow, and sold em in 3 days. He paid 10 each for em! I think they're more like 20 over here, but still worth it. Battling do all PBT stuff. I think the Allstar gold blades break v quickly. I also tried a couple of BF expensive blades and hated them.

Don't think Adelia's num 9 ranking can be put down solely to the LP guard combo;)

NLSC Sabreur
-9th July 2003, 12:16
Originally posted by tigger
Everyone's different! I think almost all LP products are excellent, but I think their sabres are generally appalling, Hate the guards, hate the blades, and hate leather grips! I think the PBT complete sabre is fantastic. Their blades are without doubt the best. One of our guys brought 20 back from the European Veterans Champs in moscow, and sold em in 3 days. He paid 10 each for em! I think they're more like 20 over here, but still worth it. Battling do all PBT stuff. I think the Allstar gold blades break v quickly. I also tried a couple of BF expensive blades and hated them.

Don't think Adelia's num 9 ranking can be put down solely to the LP guard combo;)

I agree with above. LP sabre blades are absolutely awful. I have an LP epee blade and an LP foil blade and they're great so I have no idea why LP sabre blades either develop multiple kinks or snap so easily. LP cheap sabre blades are very light (because they use so little metal) so they maybe they were better for a 15 year old girl than a proper blade.

I have a gold blade and its ok if I am on form and cutting with the blade but if my fencing is messy and I hit with the side it bends out of shape. So far I have simply bent it back but it wont last much longer.

Jenrick
-14th July 2003, 22:56
The sabre marcos lent me for the carrick tournament was excellent. Price wise not bad either. When i'm in london shortly maybe i'll call in to duellist for a look around.

Jenrick
-27th July 2003, 22:33
Finally bought those sabres. Gave the custom for PBT weapons from battling - very competitively priced.
All i have to do know is try to improve with them!