PDA

View Full Version : Usernames

gabriel
-20th September 2005, 11:18
This thread (http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5621) about AGMs has raised the issue of usernames/real names. It has been touched on variously but I would like to make a suggestion.

I understand the argument for anonymity here, so for the majority of forum users I think personal choice should prevail. However there are quite a few people who post in an official capacity, whether with opinions and questions or with official information (relating to courses, comps etc). Not forgetting those who represent equipment suppliers. Most of them (with the striking exception of Keith.A.Smith) have a username that gives no clues as to their identity. They are, to all intents and purposes, public figures.

How about those people (they know who they are) voluntarily change their username so that official and professionally interested posts are clear. Or at least provide the relevant information in their user profile.

Aidan
-20th September 2005, 14:07
That is a sane and balanced idea: any poster should think about declaring their interests/position. That's why I'm glad that Keith posts under his own name. The Leon Paul people tend to make it clear too.

Baldric
-20th September 2005, 21:44
Originally posted by gabriel
[URL=http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5621]
How about those people (they know who they are) voluntarily change their username so that official and professionally interested posts are clear. Or at least provide the relevant information in their user profile.

A sensible suggestion, but with one flaw that I can see.

Quite a lot of forum members post in "both" capacities. For instance, Foiling Around might post as the organiser of an LPJS comp, or the team manager for Cadet WF, OR he might want to present a personal viewpoint of a different issue.

Because of the volunteer nature of fencing organisation, lots of people are in this position. I think it would be a bit harsh to deny those people their anonymity when they post about other matters.

As a general rule, if someone PMs me, and asks outright, I always tell them who I am. If I send a PM - I always sign my real name, with (aka Baldric) in brackets. If I make a post on behalf of my county or region, I will make a link to the relevant website to make it clear that this is an "official" post.

Other than that, I quite like my semi-anonymity, thanks!

Foilling Around
-20th September 2005, 23:58
To be honest, I am happy to stand by anything I post in whatever capacity. I quite like the Foilling Around name (even if it should really have only one L ).

That is why I found a way of putting my name and my username by my avatar, which by the way is actually me!

Baldric
-21st September 2005, 07:44
Originally posted by Foilling Around
To be honest, I am happy to stand by anything I post in whatever capacity.

Wasn't suggesting otherwise, just using you as an example (there are many others) of someone who often posts in a private capacity, but occasionally "officially".