PDA

View Full Version : epee trouble

iron maiden fan
-20th September 2005, 13:34
need help regarding how to fence peole at local club with unorthodox styles.

first guy takes a pretty stationary stance with the blade not raised at all (ie its on the floor). when i advance on him he normally tries flick hits on my arm or attacks from a very high line down. when i get an atack anywhere near hitting him he normally erups into frantic parries....

bloke number 2 is a leftie who takes a wide en guard and will nearly always try to take my blade in secon. find attacking his thigh/knee works but he knows that.

sorry if these sound like stupidly easy opponents, its just that i've been taught to fenc more orthodox styles......

theres a pint in it for ya!!! :beer:

Farrago
-20th September 2005, 13:54
Originally posted by iron maiden fan
first guy takes a pretty stationary stance with the blade not raised at all (ie its on the floor). when i advance on him he normally tries flick hits on my arm or attacks from a very high line down. when i get an atack anywhere near hitting him he normally erups into frantic parries....

Sounds a bit like someone I know who is ridiculously fast and tall and good at flicking. You could concentrate on distance. This will hopefully help you avoid flicks and make it easier for you to attack them afterwards. If people use a highline I generally go for their wrist, even if you only occasionally manage to hit it it should hopefully worry them and get them to drop their arm.

bloke number 2 is a leftie who takes a wide en guard and will nearly always try to take my blade in secon. find attacking his thigh/knee works but he knows that.

Umm, not sure sorry, you could try going for his left shoulder. If hitting low works then hopefully hitting high will too.

sorry if these sound like stupidly easy opponents, its just that i've been taught to fenc more orthodox styles......

It's the awkward fencers that are the hardest (at least that's what people moan at me about). I learnt to fence epee before being taught (ie I've had a couple of lessons since starting but not much) and just flailed madly, seemed to work for me:tongue:

Gav
-20th September 2005, 14:11
More importantly are you left handed?

sabre_ferret
-20th September 2005, 17:22
I have to fence someone who uses his eep like a sabre, but confusingly pronounces it as the best weapon.... He really doesn't seem to understand that the majority of hits he claims during steam fencing would have zero chance of registering. Oh well, as long as it continues, more thrashings await at electrified matches.....

BigPappaBear
-20th September 2005, 22:04
What happens after the leftie takes your blade in Seconde? - Where does he attack you?

Have you thought about seconde intention?

iron maiden fan
-21st September 2005, 07:45
i am right handed.

he normally balleatras in to attack my right shoulder. vary rarely attacks arms or feet cos he fences foil mainly

BigPappaBear
-21st September 2005, 09:04
If he's attacking your body, you must be getting quite close on your initial attack. First thing you might want to try is not attacking so deep, see when he reacts, and you may be able to step back and stop hit him.

Another thing you could do is let him take your blade, and as he attacks take one or two steps back (depending on how much distance he gains), parry riposte either Quarte or counter Sixte.

An alternate maybe to leave your point in lie as he ripostes from seconde, chances are if he's a foilist he'll leave your blade.

A third option would be to attack with disengagement, you know he's going to take seconde, so decieve it at the last minute and hit him on top of the arm. This could be done from a lunge or a fleche. A few ideas for you, good luck... reckon there maybe a few more thrown in by the end of the day! :)

Gav
-21st September 2005, 11:27
I'm sorry but before I can render any assistance, and I apologise for not bringing this to your attention earlier, but you seem to be neglecting the addition of captial letters at the beginning of your sentences. Basic grammar says a lot about people - like indicating that you will not be old enough to buy me the pint you promised. :rolleyes:

Insipiens
-21st September 2005, 13:04
But doesn't he work in a pub? How can he do that if he is not old enough to buy a pint?

Gav
-21st September 2005, 13:09
I said indicate not is.

According to his profile he is only 17.

iron maiden fan
-21st September 2005, 13:13
Originally posted by Gav
I'm sorry but before I can render any assistance, and I apologise for not bringing this to your attention earlier, but you seem to be neglecting the addition of captial letters at the beginning of your sentences. Basic grammar says a lot about people - like indicating that you will not be old enough to buy me the pint you promised. :rolleyes:

So far gav, you haven't given me any advice, so no pint for you.

btw i stopped working in the pub, now work in the restaurant next door for way better money..........

BigPappaBear
-21st September 2005, 14:07
Damn wish I'd spotted that Gav... doh!

kingbob
-21st September 2005, 14:46

he normally balleatras in to attack my right shoulder. vary rarely attacks arms or feet cos he fences foil mainly

then when he comes in for an attack try ducking!! works in sabr...sometimes;)