PDA

View Full Version : Epee league

madfencer
-26th September 2005, 12:51
Hello!

I'm going to do our clubs monthly epee league and its my first time ever this thursday! any tips? i dont know if any of your clubs have leagues.

cheers,
madfencer
:)

Farrago
-26th September 2005, 14:29
I don't think we've done leagues as such. How many people is it for and how are you thinking of doing it?

We've done friendlies like girls against boys with 3 on a team. I think it will be harder to do poules and DEs but if you've done lots of competitions you can probably work it out. For DEs do you base people on indicators from poules?

My tip would be make sure in advance everyone has a body-wire and to check kit before starting then it will (hopefully) flow better.

Epeecurean
-26th September 2005, 16:32
Like Farrago says, the number of entrants and the time/space available to you will sort of dictate the format you need to use.

At Haverstock we do a weekly poule night with fencers divided up by level into up to three poules of up to 12 fencers. Poule bouts are 5 touches. Afterwards, the top 8 finishers in each poule fence DEs of 10 touch bouts to determine the winner of the poule. Then from week to week fencers get promoted or relegated from poule to poule depending on their results in the previous week(s). The aim iof this format is to generate close competitive bouts and avoid lop-sided match-ups, and also (through promotion/relegation) to provide an incentive to get everyone to fence their best.

Once a term or so we also run a 'winner takes all' competition where everyone puts in a pound or two to make it interesting. For this we do a fairly traditional tournament set-up of poules followed by a DE of the top 16 fencers, but to make it a bit more even we handicap the higher-ranked fencers a few points. (something like starting out down 2-nil in the poule bouts and 5-nil in the 10 touch bouts).

As far as other clubs, I know Reading runs an well-organised monthly club competition, see here for the format:

http://www.readingfencingclub.net/clubcomps.php

Good luck!

Epeecurean

Baldric
-26th September 2005, 17:00
Escrime used to use a system of divisions over a 3 week period.

n divisions of 7 fencers each. The divisions are graded from 1 (best fencers) to n (weakest fencers) Each division operates as a pool = 21 fights to 5 hits over 3 club nights.

At the end of the three week period, the top 2 fencers in each pool except 1 are promoted, and the weakest 2 fencers in each pool except n are demoted, and the cycle starts again.

It brings a bit of "bite" to club night fencing, without taking up the entire time - every one has a couple of competitive fights per night still leaving time for training and lessons. It also allows up and coming fencers to have a crack at the older/more experienced ones.

madfencer
-12th October 2005, 07:45
sorry thinnk you misunderstood me there...im not organizing it i jst wanted any tips for participating in it!!!! sorry bout that confusion! :o:

Farrago
-12th October 2005, 15:17
Erm....hit people with an epee?

Tarmac
-12th October 2005, 15:20
call me unconventional if you like - but i'd try getting on the piste and fencing?

Works for me :moon: ...well... sometimes.

Baldric
-12th October 2005, 16:39
The pointy end goes in the other person

sabre_ferret
-13th October 2005, 00:34
In? I'd prefer on, if I ever fence you....

madfencer
-13th October 2005, 10:18
*shudder* I dont particularly like the idea of an epee going inside me!! :dizzy:

Tarmac
-13th October 2005, 11:12
Parry.

This is going to descend into chit chat isn't it?
(That's rhetorical by the way)

sabre_ferret
-13th October 2005, 21:09
I've got Gay Bar in my head now.....

"I've got something to put in you!"

Moppet
-13th October 2005, 22:12
Yup, that would be chit-chat. Hang on, what's a sabbie doing in the epee forum anyway? :rolleyes:

Epeecurean
-13th October 2005, 23:54
Originally posted by madfencer
sorry thinnk you misunderstood me there...im not organizing it i jst wanted any tips for participating in it!!!! sorry bout that confusion! :o:

Well since you've mislead us and we've given you all this useful info I think you are obliged to start running a club comp!

Phil_Abel
-13th October 2005, 23:55
Yup, that would be chit-chat. Hang on, what's a sabbie doing in the epee forum anyway?

Espionage I'd say

madfencer
-14th October 2005, 07:51
Originally posted by Epeecurean
Well since you've mislead us and we've given you all this useful info I think you are obliged to start running a club comp!

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

madfencer
-4th November 2005, 15:27
hehe that shut u all up lol.

nickos
-14th November 2005, 13:12
We tried a league last season like a squash league. See attached file.

We have modified it this year with 6 in each table, top 2 promoted, bottom 4 relegated.

The leagues run over 5 weeks so you only need to fight one match a week. You are not allowed to refuse to fence if asked by another member of your league table.

nickos
-14th November 2005, 13:18
Sorry the text version of the file does not work.

You can see the document if you go to the Leeds Fencing site www.leedsfencing.co.uk and navigate to:

Fenicng League and then:

Rules