PDA

View Full Version : London competition 2006

Clare Halsted
-26th September 2005, 22:20
Looking ahead there is a request to run an individual U11, U13, U15 foil event on the Saturday of the London U11, U13 team event in November. My view is that the U11s and U13s are quite tired enough at the end of the team day, let alone 2 days, but would an open U17 competition be popular eg 12/13 to 17?
It might be possible to have this U17 + a mixed U9 event on the Saturday.
(Then some of the U17s could take their LPJS junior referee test on the Sunday!)
Opinions welcome.

Clare

Touché Turtle
-26th September 2005, 22:36
What sort of percentage of individual fencers are usually involved in the team events? I know Jr probably wouldn't be involved in a team, so would appreciate an extra individual competition if it happened on the Saturday.
I suppose if you had two events on one weekend the danger might be that people either choose one or the other, ending up with two smaller competition entries.
I like the idea of a mixed age open though. :)

Baldric
-26th September 2005, 22:41
Its a crowded time of year for cadet foilists - the older ones will just have finished the run of Bolton/Cosford/Leicester/EYC/Welsh, with maybe a foreign weekend or two thrown in.

However, if the ambition was to develop a proper cadet comp every year (B nominated maybe?) to allow some of the younger cadets a chance to ease the transition from U13 LPJS to opens, then I would be all for it. (See other threads and comments from me, PM1, FA and others about the huge step from "kids comps" to Essex/Bristol etc).

Its a shame that the venue isn't big enough to expand the team event to u15 - at Bristol this was well supported.

Baldric
-26th September 2005, 22:44
Originally posted by Touché Turtle
What sort of percentage of individual fencers are usually involved in the team events?

In the past, the same "usual suspects" that you see in the individual comps.

I have been there for the last couple of years, and it has had a great atmosphere - its like an end of term party for the LPJS series (which ends for foil a week or so earlier at Cambridge).

Tubby
-26th September 2005, 23:31
then just in time for the cadet winton weekend before Christmas.....

vikkia
-27th September 2005, 08:57
We would be very happy to do an U13 event on the Sat. Not sure if we can get a team together this time for the team event but even if we can i think the kids can cope with it. Last years team event was great fun and a lot of children had been training all day beforehand!
Go for it!!!

AMC
-27th September 2005, 12:11
Originally posted by Clare Halsted
Looking ahead there is a request to run an individual U11, U13, U15 foil event on the Saturday of the London U11, U13 team event in November. My view is that the U11s and U13s are quite tired enough at the end of the team day, let alone 2 days, but would an open U17 competition be popular eg 12/13 to 17?
It might be possible to have this U17 + a mixed U9 event on the Saturday.
(Then some of the U17s could take their LPJS junior referee test on the Sunday!)
Opinions welcome.

Clare

I agree with Baldric about relaxed end of year fun competition.
Also a lot of schools are doing Christmas plays etc on Saturdays so would not get released. I would leave the format as it is and not do the Sat, it would be to much in a crowded fixture list.
Regards AMC

blademouse
-29th September 2005, 08:31
I think - but would need to check - that the eastern region BYC qualifiers are on that Saturday so it might mean a low turn out from that region.

Probably worth leaving it as just a team event at this late stage. Maybe for next year though?

Winwaloe
-3rd October 2005, 12:09
Originally posted by blademouse
I think - but would need to check - that the eastern region BYC qualifiers are on that Saturday so it might mean a low turn out from that region.

Probably worth leaving it as just a team event at this late stage. Maybe for next year though?

Eastern Region BYC qualifers are on w/e of 26th and 27th November. Foil on the Saturday and Epee and Sabre on Sunday

Clare Halsted
-3rd October 2005, 22:05
Thanks for useful comments. We have decided to keep it to a team event on the Sunday but include U15s as we should be able to use a larger venue.

An U17 event later on might be possible - we'll think on. Looking forward to seeing some of you this year on 27th Nov.

Clare

Baldric
-3rd October 2005, 22:41
Thanks for useful comments. We have decided to keep it to a team event on the Sunday but include U15s as we should be able to use a larger venue.

Clare

Excellent plan. I strongly suspect that Xtreme Escrime will be there! They still have a score to settle with Salle Paul A.

Rdb811
-3rd October 2005, 23:16

An U17 event later on might be possible - we'll think on. Looking forward to seeing some of you this year on 27th Nov.

Clare

I take it this is for next year (calendar year 2006) as we have U15 teams but not really U13 ones.