PDA

View Full Version : FencingChannel to show highlights

Gav
-4th October 2005, 21:09
I don't suppose that Craig over on Fencing.net will mind if I post the following announcement here:

Originally Posted by Guillermo Alger, Fencing Pictures
Thanks to the support and encouragements that we have received from fencers around the world, and in particular from Craig Harkins, we are now launching a website where viewers can watch fencing competitions and interviews 24/7. We are glad to bring this service to established fencers, and we also hope that it will contribute to promoting our great sport to non-fencers. Most of the contents will also be available for purchase on DVD through our distributors. You can already find our DVDs at the fencing.net store.

Fencing Pictures will be at the World Championships in Leipzig October 8-15. Daily highlights will be available for free viewing at www.fencingchannel.tv, and DVDs will be released as soon as possible. We hope that you will enjoy watching these images as much as we love producing them for the fencing community.

Gav
-5th October 2005, 08:52
Some additional information received.

If you are into podcasting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast) FencingChannel have their own feed. It features an interview with Ralph Bissdorf and Linda Strachan. I've not listened to them yet.

hokers
-5th October 2005, 09:30
This does sound pretty awesome.

Good post.

Arturo
-10th October 2005, 09:18
Ah, living in Hungary! Tonight from 6-8, live finals on the TV. Was going to actually go fencing, but instead will sit on the sofa and live vicariously.

PM1
-10th October 2005, 10:01
There is a term of speech or 2 for people like you in these circumstances.....:mad: :mad: will have to suffice.....

ChubbyHubby
-10th October 2005, 10:08
Originally posted by Arturo
Ah, living in Hungary! Tonight from 6-8, live finals on the TV. Was going to actually go fencing, but instead will sit on the sofa and live vicariously.

Which channel is it on?

Any one of these?

ATV
DUNA TV
Halom TV
HIR TV
M2 TV
MTV
Party TV
TV Pecs
TV2
Zenit TV

Arturo
-10th October 2005, 15:08
Hey Chubby Hubby,

It's actually on Eurosport, but we get different programming over here. I'll check the schedule to see if it's on any of the Hungarian channels.

Do you get them on satellite?

Arturo
-10th October 2005, 15:14
Can't see it listed anywhere else, but if memory serves me right MTV kept showin newsflashes during the Olympics last year when Hungarians were involved. If I see it on any channels over the next few days I'll let you know.

Gav
-11th October 2005, 10:02
Originally posted by Arturo
Hey Chubby Hubby,

It's actually on Eurosport, but we get different programming over here. I'll check the schedule to see if it's on any of the Hungarian channels.

Do you get them on satellite?

No. In the UK we are generally served by a different satellite. So, unless you have the right equipment or know-how, you don't get proper Eurosport. We used to, but it changed a while back. I had actually forgotten until I started to check up on what was what in the world of satellite.

I used to work for Sky - years ago.

purple
-11th October 2005, 14:10
Damn it - I would watch the feed, but I'm stuck at work with a 2MBit connection. And that's not a 2MBit internet connection, that all the bandwidth we've got between this office and the main building :-(

I shall have to watch it when I get home over dinner.

ChubbyHubby
-12th October 2005, 08:46
Originally posted by Gav
No. In the UK we are generally served by a different satellite. So, unless you have the right equipment or know-how, you don't get proper Eurosport. We used to, but it changed a while back. I had actually forgotten until I started to check up on what was what in the world of satellite.

I used to work for Sky - years ago.

The fencingchannel.net highlights for men's foil was slightly better than the previous "only get to see the last hit" rubbish.

Unfortunetly most of the clip was showing Sanzo's last hit in the semis. ie. not a lot happening.

The little bit of fencing that it did show for the semi and the final though was strangely flicky/bent arm...

Boo Boo
-12th October 2005, 09:21
Originally posted by ChubbyHubby
The little bit of fencing that it did show for the semi and the final though was strangely flicky/bent arm...

With quite a lot of epee footwork (i.e. more small "bouncy" adjustments instead of proper steps...) :confused:

natsgrant
-12th October 2005, 13:03
My friend cooked up a delicious Balkan dish for Arturo, another friend and I last night. Arturo turns up, turns on my friend's TV and is silent until Sanzo won the final...

Sigh. Boys. (Hurrah for Eurosport in Hungary)

Insipiens
-13th October 2005, 12:49
The mens foil was a lot less cagey than the womens foil. However, I was expecting more exciting looking fencing from Sanzo. Not that I had seen him fence before. And to be fair Zhang had some very fast very good parries which had got him to the final so why should Sanzo attack?

The women's foil semi between Vezzali and Knapek was incredibly static in the first period - so much so that a cry of "boring" from someone in the crowd was clearly audible across the whole arena. At that point they had been fencing for nearly two minutes and had not attacked or had a single stoppage. Vezzali's footwork both in the semi and in the final consisted of continual very small steps back and forward a couple of paces getting her hits mostly from counter attacks or attacks on preparation. Knapek did all the work and I thought she was going to have the patience to win. In the final Vezzali did do a couple of step lunges.

davidc
-14th October 2005, 11:52
Both AussieSabreur and I have tried viewing the highlights videos on FencingChannel.tv, but without any success (using Quicktime and RealPlayer on Mac and PC). Most of the time (with QuickTime, at least) it starts connecting, then stops with a message like "3258: Disconnected".

Has anyone been able to view them ? How ?

Gav
-14th October 2005, 12:11
Download and install the latest version of the quicktime player.

I have had no problems at all.

purple
-15th October 2005, 19:10
Originally posted by davidc
Both AussieSabreur and I have tried viewing the highlights videos on FencingChannel.tv, but without any success (using Quicktime and RealPlayer on Mac and PC). Most of the time (with QuickTime, at least) it starts connecting, then stops with a message like "3258: Disconnected".

Has anyone been able to view them ? How ?

That error often appears on Darwin streaming servers when there are too many people trying to connect to the stream. It's a timeout message. Don't know how much bandwidth they're pumping out.

--the Geek