ALLEN Greg won 3/5

After Poules

1 ITA CAROZZO Stefano
2 AUT MARIK Christoph
3 FRA JEANNET Fabrice
4 GER STRIGEL Daniel

Eliminated

153 ORGE Alp TUR

Can't find the GBR boys placing after the poules, but none of them appear in the L64 tableau.

Hudson
-8th October 2005, 21:53
Alp was eliminated as you said (great pic of jim on the website by the way)
Greg lost his DE 15-8 to BORIS BARRIENTO Camilo of Cuba
Tom lost 15-11 to NABIL Ahmed of Egypt
Tristan lost 15-4 t PELLETIER Vincent of Canada

to find the results (and great pics from the above link select results, then BOUTS overview and if you click on the entry list you get a list of all fencers. just click on the name you want.

Boo Boo
-9th October 2005, 16:46
Camy lost to Vezzali in the L64 :( - very unfortunate draw (Vezzali is obviously on form and is through to the L8 already - don't know any further than that).

Boo

hokers
-9th October 2005, 17:51
Good luck for the rest of the competition guys if you're reading this! Give 'em hell!

doobarz
-9th October 2005, 18:50
Poules

Jess BEER NZL won 1/5
Lea-Anne LEE won 1/6

I think both eliminated after poules.

doobarz
-9th October 2005, 22:17
Poules

O'CONNELL Alex won 2/6
HUTCHISON Neil won 3/6

L128

O'CONNELL bt OGAWA Satoshi JPN 15- 7
MENDOZA Walbert ,Philippines bt HUTCHISON 15-9

L64

O'CONNELL vs LAPKES Dmitri Belarus

I think that is right, the website has been very slow...

Jan O'C
-9th October 2005, 22:45
Even I don't know for sure who Alex has got! Tim thought he was seeded 54 (as he would take the Japanese guys seeding with the top 16 coming in seeded 1-16 and everyone else dropping down accordingly) so he would get 11 seed in L64 but according to the website it looks as if he will go in as 64 seed because he was the lowest seed to win his de into the 64. This being so, he gets the No 1 seed. Hope this makes sense.

Whoever Alex gets, it is a fantastic opportunity to fence one of the best in the world (or, indeed, the best). And as Mum, I'm allowed to say that whatever the result we are very proud of him.

Commisserations to Neil and lots of good luck to the sabre girls for tomorrow (and to Alex as well though he might need a bit more than good luck).

Fencer
-10th October 2005, 07:09
Pavel Kolobkov (RUS) wins men’s épée gold medal in Leipzig
„This gold medal actually is a surprise for me. Having so many good fencers on the pistes, it is always a surprise to be the best one. And today I was lucky as well. But I also wanted to win the title - more than anything else. I love fencing and I am as happy today as I was when I won my first WC title in Essen in 1993. I am sure that I also do benefit from the old Russian fencing school.”

Jan O'C
-10th October 2005, 08:43
Alex fenced at 7.30 am British time vs Lapkes and lost 15-10 (or maybe 11). He fenced well and enjoyed it. 8-5 to Lapkes at break, then 11-10 to Lapkes but his greater experience prevailed in the end. No shame.

tigger
-10th October 2005, 09:24
Brilliant stuff Alex...anyone who's seen Lapkes fence in the flesh will know what a truly top-class act he is - world no 2 and 4th at Athens Olympics doesn't happen by accident. For alex to be competitive with him at his first worlds is an outstanding achievement.

Hard luck to Camy - to get the eventual gold medallist as the 25th seed as a reall bummer.

Kolobkov and Vezzali winning the first two golds...2005 looks like a last hurrah for the oldies!

Highlander
-10th October 2005, 09:26
Well done Alex great experiencefor him

sadly because British fencing has it's head up it's a*se he won't be gaining more experience in the team event as they did not send Chris Buxton.

Why oh Why oh Why

We need an explaination from the BFA

randomsabreur
-10th October 2005, 09:26
Can anyone get stupid website to work!

Been trying all morning.

tigger
-10th October 2005, 09:27
Same here random

PM1
-10th October 2005, 09:37
Brilliant result for Alex, even tho the wrong side of the line for the purists out there....he cleary made Lapkes work for his win. ;) ;)
Even more reason to ask questions why GBR didn't have their third man for a team, in my view. What a wasted opportunity.

Brilliant, ALex :grin: :grin:

PM1
-10th October 2005, 09:42
Originally posted by randomsabreur

Been trying all morning.

I've just given up, having watched what was loading - all sponsorship logos. Couldn't get itnot the results at midnight, even. Heigh ho - just have to go do some work.....

Gav
-10th October 2005, 09:46
Is anyone recording Eurosport? It's on their. I've missed the Men's Epee individual and I'm more than a little ticked off about it.

Boo Boo
-10th October 2005, 09:47
Originally posted by PM1
Even more reason to ask questions why GBR didn't have their third man for a team, in my view. What a wasted opportunity.

At the moment it seems to be a choice between:
- creating/maximising opportunities, and
- allowing tourists to ruin the statistics.

At the moment it apopears that avoiding the latter is more important... :shrug:

Boo

(Has a funny feeling she has said this before...)

doobarz
-10th October 2005, 09:50
Patience is the key - click the link, go and make a coffee/ do the washing/ read a book for an hour, then come back.....

Hassan
-10th October 2005, 09:51
If you go the German language version of the website it appears to work. At least it has for me and I've tried it twice in the last five minutes.

Boo Boo
-10th October 2005, 09:52
Originally posted by Gav
Is anyone recording Eurosport? It's on their. I've missed the Men's Epee individual and I'm more than a little ticked off about it.

Where and when? Chubby checked the schedule and didn't find it anywhere at all... he says it is on "proper" Eurosport, but not "GB" Eurosport (i.e. what we get on Sky Digital...)

Boo

ChubbyHubby
-10th October 2005, 09:53
Originally posted by Gav

Don't think it's on Eurosport UK. It's on Eurosport in Germany and I think France and maybe analog Eurosport in the UK. Not on digital. Unless they are showing something different to what's on the schedule.

Gav
-10th October 2005, 10:01
I thought you could still get 'proper' Eurosport on Sky? If not, that's bloody typical.

There seems to be less cooperation on the web this time around - or that may just be me reacting badly to what I thought was going to be good internet coverage.

Boo Boo
-10th October 2005, 10:06
Originally posted by Gav
I thought you could still get 'proper' Eurosport on Sky? If not, that's bloody typical.

Don't think so - only one Eurosport - "Eurosport Lite" (i.e. Eurosport without the stuff we actually enjoy - fencing, much skiing etc...).

It did have a VERY short clip during Eurosport News (one hit for each of WF and ME - winning hits) last night...

Originally posted by Gav
There seems to be less cooperation on the web this time around - or that may just be me reacting badly to what I thought was going to be good internet coverage.

My spy in the US says that the internet coverage is, indeed, REALLY excellent...

Boo

ChubbyHubby
-10th October 2005, 10:06
Originally posted by Gav

There seems to be less cooperation on the web this time around - or that may just be me reacting badly to what I thought was going to be good internet coverage. I did find a clip of the Epee on some german site from 11:11 onwards.

I'll try and find it again.

Have a hunt around on : http://www.mediahopper.com/portal.htm

randomsabreur
-10th October 2005, 10:08
I keep getting Gateway timeout and internal server error.

Useless website!

Why aren't they using that Ophardt thing that they always used to, which always worked in the past!

ChubbyHubby
-10th October 2005, 10:12
I keep getting Gateway timeout and internal server error.

Useless website!

Why aren't they using that Ophardt thing that they always used to, which always worked in the past! I think they are trying to be clever and have "Live" results.

I had it momentarily working on Saturday where the scores in each fight in each poule were going up as it happened.

But otherwise looking at the web address etc, it looks like they are hosting the results bit of the website on some laptop on a dial up connection.

asylum-seeker
-10th October 2005, 10:13
All four british girls plus emma are through to L64, hurrah!
Jojo is the highest seeded brit (33rd, I think), and fences Nagy tomorrow, not sure about the others.

Jan O'C
-10th October 2005, 10:16

Been trying all morning.

Matthew got it to work last night but it was on such a go slow that I couldn't work it and still can't access info on it this morning!

Thanks to all for kind comments re Alex. Totally agree with everyone re sending Chris Buxton except that I think they should have sent Tigger too! Suggestion is that qualification criteria will be even tougher next year, that being so, I guess we'll send no-one in MS and that way no-one will have the opportunity to get any experience and no-one will get any better.

It seems to me that the only way sabreurs will qualify is by trawling the world looking for easy A Grades where their skills won't be tested to the full and then they're at risk of struggling when they get into the big competitions. I appreciate that I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, but why not have an arrangement whereby if you qualify (or if BFA select you) you are funded but if insufficent fencers fit this criteria, the other places are offered to the next highest ranked fencers, provided they have sufficient international experience, but they must fund themselves. Certainly Chris B and tigger would have been able to go in that case. This seems so simple and obvious to me that I'm sure I must be missing something - perhaps someone can please explain to me what it is - and then I'll feel suitably stupid.

ChubbyHubby
-10th October 2005, 10:19
Originally posted by Gav

Epee highlights...

http://www.mdr.de/sport/andere_sportarten/2202428.html

ChubbyHubby
-10th October 2005, 10:23
Originally posted by Jan O'C

It seems to me that the only way sabreurs will qualify is by trawling the world looking for easy A Grades where their skills won't be tested to the full and then they're at risk of struggling when they get into the big competitions. I appreciate that I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, but why not have an arrangement whereby if you qualify (or if BFA select you) you are funded but if insufficent fencers fit this criteria, the other places are offered to the next highest ranked fencers, provided they have sufficient international experience, but they must fund themselves. Certainly Chris B and tigger would have been able to go in that case. This seems so simple and obvious to me that I'm sure I must be missing something - perhaps someone can please explain to me what it is - and then I'll feel suitably stupid.

Have a look here:
http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5354&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Jan O'C
-10th October 2005, 10:31
yes, I had read a lot of this at the time - but other than it telling me that I'm not the only one who thinks in that direction, it still doesn't tell me why the selection committee make the decisions they do. I honestly don't think they have the intention of upsetting anyone but that is the outcome. I'm sure I'm being dense but it doesn't seem logical, thus I am obviously missing something.

ChubbyHubby
-10th October 2005, 10:34
yes, I had read a lot of this at the time - but other than it telling me that I'm not the only one who thinks in that direction, it still doesn't tell me why the selection committee make the decisions they do. I honestly don't think they have the intention of upsetting anyone but that is the outcome. I'm sure I'm being dense but it doesn't seem logical, thus I am obviously missing something.

and this...

http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5621

Boo Boo
-10th October 2005, 10:57

I hate to say this again (and will probably get attacked for it, again - since I am considered to have personal interest in this), but...

They will only send people with "medal potential" and nobody else. Hence they will send some people who don't qualify, who they feel have the potential for good results, like Alex and Neil. But they wont send people who they don't feel will get good results (i.e. Chris and Jon).

The only way to ensure selection is to qualify - although this is being made harder and harder (and hence the subjective part of the selection becomes more and more important).

The BFA will send a full team if maybe that team has shown promise at world cup team events (as they have in WS, MF and, to a certain extent, ME). So, to have a chance of a full team, Alex, Neil, Jon and Chris need to start getting team results maybe...?

Until then, the BFA must consider the experience gained by Alex and Neil (in the World Championship team event) less important than sending a tourist who might get a bad result... :shrug:

Boo

Gav
-10th October 2005, 11:08
Originally posted by ChubbyHubby
Epee highlights...

Well according to Mediahopper Eurosport France is available as a media stream. That should have the Fencing on it later on. I can't really test what the stream is like here at work I think me complaining about only having a dual ISDN line to share with 20 other people and broadband provision in rural scotland would be a boring read).

ChubbyHubby
-10th October 2005, 11:10
Originally posted by Gav
Well according to Mediahopper Eurosport France is available as a media stream. That should have the Fencing on it later on. I can't really test what the stream is like here at work I think me complaining about only having a dual ISDN line to share with 20 other people and broadband provision in rural scotland would be a boring read).

well... that's what I thought, but that Eurosport France stream seems to be repeatedly showing some Touring Car race over and over again. You never know though, it might change to something else later

Helen Mulrine
-10th October 2005, 11:18
My hubby says that anyone with sky should be able to receive raisportsat on the free channels on hot bird 2, all semi-finals and finals on live from around 5 oclock.

ChubbyHubby
-10th October 2005, 11:23
Originally posted by Helen Mulrine
My hubby says that anyone with sky should be able to receive raisportsat on the free channels on hot bird 2, all semi-finals and finals on live from around 5 oclock.

Hot bird 2 I think is analog. Sky digital can only get Eurosport UK :(

purple
-10th October 2005, 11:25
Has anybody located any other real-time streams? In this day and age, since the event *is* being televised, I see no reason why, if it's not being shown on the television itself, it can't be shown as a live stream, using *one* of the availible technologies.

Gav
-10th October 2005, 11:42

Has anyone actually kept their analog equipment since Sky went digital?

ChubbyHubby
-10th October 2005, 11:42

Chubby Hubby, thank you for the 2 links - I've re-read both but perhaps you could be more specific - exactly which bit tells me the answer? Or are you suggesting that there isn't one?

There isn't a "clear" answer from the IC or the BFA. Have in the past posted many questions and even speculated as to what the answer may be. But I think because it is posted on a public forum under forum names all these questions tend to be ignored.

The possible answers seems to be:

1. "no result is better than a bad result"
2. Stats to UKSport more important above all else
3. The need to appear "tough" and "take no crap" like the other UKsport funded sports (see: http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5635 ) ie. it's a PR matter

No one from the IC or BFA have offically answered the question:

What harm would it do to send a full team (non-qualified fencers should self-fund)?

We hear a lot "we have got increased funding..." etc, but not answers to the questions raised on those threads.

Keith had a meeting with the BOA/UKSport bods the week (although we keep getting told it is a BFA thing and not UKSport)after Bristol and he did promise to raise the issue with them, haven't heard about the outcome though.

Like you say, Tigger and Chris B. are hardly "tourists", in the case of MS I'm sure Alex would have liked the chance to do the team event too. The pros of sending a full MS team in this case just seem to far out weigh any cons....

Helen Mulrine
-10th October 2005, 12:05

Raisportsat went digital in April 2005, maybe you don't receivce the same hot bird 2 free channels as we do here in Italy

asylum-seeker
-10th October 2005, 12:10
Sorry about the long post.
Here is the draw for tomorrow, good luck girls!!!! ;)

1 ZAGUNIS Mariel USA
64 GUTIERREZ Yerimar VEN
33 VIGNAUX Pascale FRA
32 NEDASHKOWSKA Darya UKR
17 WARD Rebecca USA
48 SIUKAYEVA Janna AZE
>>49 BOND-WILLIAMS Louise GBR
>>16 GHEORGHITOAIA Catalina ROM
9 FEDORKINA Ekaterina RUS
56 JOHANNSDOTTIR Gudrun ISL
>>41 NICOLL Chrystall GBR
>>24 KIM Keum Hwa KOR
25 CLOUTIER Julie CAN
40 THOMPSON Caitlin USA
>>57 HYNES Emma AUS
>>8 LUCCHINO Alessandra ITA
5 NETCHAEVA Elena RUS
60 KUBISSA Stefanie GER
37 POSTIGLIONE Mariangela ITA
28 SASSINE Sandra CAN
21 KANEKO Sakura JPN
44 KHOMROVA Olena UKR
53 NAVARRO Araceli ESP
12 VELIKAIA Sophia RUS
13 KORMILITSYNA Svetlana RUS
52 DALI Grisel VEN
45 KÖNIG Susanne GER
20 SZNOPEK Gabriella HUN
29 BENITEZ Alejandra VEN
36 BERENGIER Julie FRA
>>61 LACHETA Jessica GBR
>>4 SOCHA Aleksandra POL
3 TOUYA Anne Lise FRA
62 AGUIRRE SALAZAR Katia GUA
35 NAKAYAMA Seira JPN
30 TANZMEISTER Dorothea AUT
19 WIECKOWSKA Irena POL
46 KARPINSKA Katarzyna POL
51 NAKAMURA Haruko JPN
14 ZHANG Ying CHN
11 ZHAO Yuanyuan CHN
54 HISAGAE Madoka JPN
43 BYRNE Siobhan IRL
22 JOZWIAK Bogna POL
27 PELEI Andreea ROM
38 SAWORSKI Donna CAN
59 OVTCHINNIKOVA Olga CAN
6 TAN Xue CHN
7 MARZOCCA Gioia ITA
58 AU YEUNG Wai Sum HKG
39 KIM Hye-lim KOR
26 BIANCO Ilaria ITA
23 LEE Shin-Mi KOR
42 LEE Mi Seon KOR
55 BENAD Sandra GER
10 PERRUS Leonore FRA
15 CSABA Edina HUN
50 PUNDYK Galyna UKR
47 KLEMM Sibylle GER
18 CHOW Tsz Ki HKG
>>31 NAGY Orsolya HUN
>>34 HUTCHISON Joanna GBR
63 CHICHON Vanesa ESP
2 JACOBSON Sada USA

Touché Turtle
-10th October 2005, 12:12
Epee highlights...

Shame I don't understand german...!
Still, it sounded as though it was being conveyed as exciting and looked good enough to interest non-fencers. I liked the slow motion replays of the hits.

Boo Boo
-10th October 2005, 12:20
Originally posted by asylum-seeker
Sorry about the long post.
Here is the draw for tomorrow, good luck girls!!!! ;)

Fantastic - especially Jo Jo.

Fingers crossed for all :)

Jan O'C
-10th October 2005, 12:24
Thank you Chubby Hubby - I'm obviously not the only one thinking this way and as yet, the powers that be have not given a definitive answer - how can we ask them to? Or indeed, who do we ask? Or indeed, who has the right to ask? Presumably not me, because I'm not a BFA member and in this case it didn't affect my family too adversely (lack of team event only) - its just that I feel Chris and Jon got a bit of a raw deal.

Good luck to all 4 girlie sabreurs for tomorrow (and Emma Hynes too) and well done for all making L64.

Gangsta G
-10th October 2005, 12:37
Well done Alex, Hard luck Neil. I think that Alex and Neil's performances suggest that it might not be a waste of time sending a team.

Good luck to all 5 girls tomorrow, and well done to them as well.

Gav
-10th October 2005, 12:38
Originally posted by Helen Mulrine
Raisportsat went digital in April 2005, maybe you don't receivce the same hot bird 2 free channels as we do here in Italy

Eurosport is carried on Astra 1H - so if you can get that you can get it. You only need a 50cm dish, however it's alignment differs from Astra 2 (1h is at 19.2 E and astra 2 is at 28.2)- which is where the Sky channels appear to be. So either you would need a motorised dish or a dual fitted receiver (I can't remember if they are still called LNBs). That's from a quick scan of the footprint information I've been looking at. I may be wrong ... I'm out of the loop on Satellite technology. Check to see if it's possible to pick up transponder 77 on Astra 1h - by checking your digi box documentation/installation notes.

Eurosport Info (http://www.ses-astra.com/cgi-bin/cg_search.cgi?template=Digital.tmpl&datafile=All.txt&listtype=Search+Results%3A&m_all=on&searchstring=eurosport)

EDIT: If Raisport sat is on Hotbird 2 then you can pick it up at 13 E.

Hassan
-10th October 2005, 14:15
Men's foil poules:

Beevers 5/1
Mansour 4/1 (with one fight left)
Kruse 5/1
Riseley not showing yet

PM1
-10th October 2005, 14:17
At 'em !!

tigger
-10th October 2005, 14:51
Hence they will send some people who don't qualify, who they feel have the potential for good results, like Alex and Neil. But they wont send people who they don't feel will get good results (i.e. Chris and Jon).

With all due respect to the powers that be, if they think Chris is less likely to get a decent result than Neil (who I have a lot of respect for and is a young talent) then they have their heads well and truly where Highlander suggested....

I can appreciate the reasons for not sending me (too old, no good enough WC results etc) but Chris is 24, outstandingly talented and one of the few GB fencers really capable of fencing at this level. I'll never understand it - and if it pi*ses me off imagine how Chris must be feeling!

On a positive note - well done to all the WSs! looking good for a strong team performance too!

Hassan
-10th October 2005, 15:04
Mansour 5/1
Riseley 4/2

Foilling Around
-10th October 2005, 15:40

Jan, you are preaching to the converted here. We can't seem to get a straight answer about whether sending less qualified people at their own expense would endanger the BFA funding. If it would, then I can see an argument for not allowing them to go. If it will not cause funding problems were they to go out early then I can see no justification for not sending a reasonably full team.

Gav
-10th October 2005, 16:17
WHAT HAVE I JUST SAID?

Talk about the qualification issues in the correct thread.

Please discuss the world championships, as they are now, here.

UglyBug
-10th October 2005, 16:35
Why did Alex go into the L64 as no. 64 when he had beaten the 50-something seed in the L128?

tigger
-10th October 2005, 16:38
It looks like the WS was cut straight to a L64, so for the GB girls there will be no domestic ranking points awarded unless they win the L64 DE fight....makes sense...NOT :mad:

randomsabreur
-10th October 2005, 16:48
Originally posted by UglyBug
Why did Alex go into the L64 as no. 64 when he had beaten the 50-something seed in the L128?

Because the 1st day of a senior A-Grade/Worlds is a pre-tournament. You are reseeded on your post poules ranking before the L64 starts.

Baldric
-10th October 2005, 16:50
Originally posted by Foilling Around
Jan, you are preaching to the converted here. We can't seem to get a straight answer about whether sending less qualified people at their own expense would endanger the BFA funding. If it would, then I can see an argument for not allowing them to go. If it will not cause funding problems were they to go out early then I can see no justification for not sending a reasonably full team.

I did get a straight answer from Graham Watts on this, and the answer is that IN THE SHORT TERM there is no pressure from funders to reduce participation.

Grahams argument goes something like this:

The funding potential for fencing depends on fencing becoming a "podium sport" - ie we must have olympic medals. In funding terms, 1 bronze medal is worth any number of last 8s or last 16s.

Once the Olympics are over, the view of funders, general public etc will be a very black and white one - medal=good no medal=bad. They will not care that we had dozens in the last 32 or last 16, or even last 8. However, if we get medals (preferably 2 or 3) then we will be drowned in cash, relatively speaking.

This stark fact suggests a strategy of pushing your best fencers very hard indeed, and setting standards (for selection etc) that are tougher and tougher. Remember, the goal is to produce just one "super-hero" fencer - any weapon, either sex. It doesn't matter what eggs you break so long as you make the omelette.

The pyramid model of building up strength in depth is followed for cadets and juniors, but once they reach adulthood (so the theory goes) one must keep pushing the carrot further and further away to stretch that one potential superhero to maximum performance.

There is actually some logic to the theory (I was outraged when I first heard it at the AGM).

I'm still not fully convinced, but not fully anti either.

tigger
-10th October 2005, 16:56
Careful or you'll be in trouble with Gav;)

Where's the money going on MS finals then?

Covaliu vs Shturbabin
Yakimenko vs Podzniakov

E European domination in the medals...

I reckon Covaliu vs Podz with Podz to win 15-12 and then announce retirement!

tigger
-10th October 2005, 16:59
Shturbabin has had a great run tho - Pastore, Lukashenko, Hubner and Nemcsic couldn't be considered a picnic...!

Gav
-10th October 2005, 17:00
Right.

No MORE on selection.

None.

Zip.

Nada.

Not here; elsewhere.

Later on I will log in and redo this thread to take it back to discussing the worlds (and possible my obsessive quest to find someone who cares that I can't watch it).

In the meantime keep it in the right thread - when you check in later you will find a redirect to the right place and all of these posts nicely bundled together.

Untill then ...

Boo Boo
-10th October 2005, 18:45
Because the 1st day of a senior A-Grade/Worlds is a pre-tournament. You are reseeded on your post poules ranking before the L64 starts.

This is quite common at A-grades...

Boo
(imagining Gav balanced out of a window trying to get a signal with a metal cullender... :confused: )

doobarz
-10th October 2005, 19:11
Poules

BEEVERS James won 5/7
MANSOUR David won 5/7
KRUSE Richard won 5/7
RISELEY David won 4/7

Top 4 after Poules

1 SANZO Salvatore ITA
2 LE PECHOUX Erwan FRA
3 CASSARA Andrea ITA
4 BISSDORF Ralf GER

L160-96

All have byes

L96

BEEVERS & MANSOUR bye

60 RISELEY bt SANTOS Gael POR 15-13
39 KRUSE bt CHUMACERO HERNANDEZ MEX 15-10

L64 (Tuesday)

28 MANSOUR vs STOUKALINE Alexandre RUS

52 RISELEY vs SINTES Victor FRA

27 BEEVERS vs ICHIKAWA Kyoya JPN

39 KRUSE vs JOVANOVIC Bojan CRO

doobarz
-10th October 2005, 19:18
1 COVALIU
2 POZDNIAKOV
3 SHTURBABIN
3 YAKIMENKO

64 O'CONNELL

68 HUTCHISON

Twohat
-10th October 2005, 19:52
I've kept my analogue dish, and just finished watching an hour of Eurosport coverage with the WE semis and the final given full uninterrupted coverage, and reasonably sensible commentary, and slo-mos of almost every point.

If they showed this on UK terrestrial television and covered it so well, our fencing clubs would be full of new recruits the following weeks. Fantastic!

Why is it only Eurosport who cover the sports which are slightly off mainstream? They must be able to make money out of it. I watch it a lot - cycling, mountain biking, fencing, ***** volleyball, there are all sorts of exciting sports on it. Granted they sometimes show football, but I can always switch over to RTL2 then . . .

They also showed the MS final, and even though I don't generally enjoy watching sabre, that was riveting, and a fantastic battle.

Boo Boo
-10th October 2005, 19:58
Originally posted by Twohat
I've kept my analogue dish, and just finished watching an hour of Eurosport coverage with the WE semis and the final given full uninterrupted coverage, and reasonably sensible commentary, and slo-mos of almost every point.

Not the "usual" commentator then... ;). Any idea who commentated?

Boo
(not sure you should have mentioned it - you will probably have Gav turning up on your doorstep in a few hours... :) )

Keith.A.Smith
-10th October 2005, 21:20
Well done to our GBR team. So far 10 fencers have made the Top 64 and we have 8 fencing on Tuesday in their Last 64 fights.

This is a marked improvement on recent years.

Very well done to all of them but lets hope Tuesday brings us a Last 32 or better.

I agree about Alex getting good experience and am very pleased for him as he is a very talented schoolboy(and Cadet World Champion) fencing the 4th placed fencer from the Olympic Games.

Good luck to all those fencing on Tuesday and in the team events.

Keith

Foilling Around
-10th October 2005, 22:50
Originally posted by Keith.A.Smith
Well done to our GBR team. So far 10 fencers have made the Top 64 and we have 8 fencing on Tuesday in their Last 64 fights.

This is a marked improvement on recent years.

Very well done to all of them but lets hope Tuesday brings us a Last 32 or better.

I agree about Alex getting good experience and am very pleased for him as he is a very talented schoolboy(and Cadet World Champion) fencing the 4th placed fencer from the Olympic Games.

Good luck to all those fencing on Tuesday and in the team events.

Keith

OK, So I will be the one in bad books to ask this question. Partly because my real name in above my avatar and I am not anonymous.

If Alex has got great experience from what he has done so far, how would it have hurt to have one more MS fencer and competed in the team event?

I know Gav has kicked this type of discusion to another thread, but Keith has brought this up here.

Please can any answers to my query be directed to the new thread or Gav will be mad with me!!

tigger
-11th October 2005, 09:41
WS L64
Louise BW lost 15-11 to Gheorghitoaia (Rom). Harsh draw as Gheorghitoaia was 4th at Athens 2004.

Chrystall Nicholl lost 15-6 to Kim (Kor)

randomsabreur
-11th October 2005, 10:04
Lifted from escrime info -

all of the brit WS out in the L64.

Jojo lost to Nagy 15-8 another tough draw given that Nagy was top 16 for a long time. Jessica lost to Socha 15-3. Emma lost to Luccino (ITA) 15-9

Current state of tableau as per escrime info:

1 USA ZAGUNIS Mariel 15
33 FRA VIGNAUX Pascale 11

17 USA WARD Rebecca 0
16 ROM GHEORGHITOAIA Catalina 0

56 ISL JOHANNSDOTTIR Gudrun 0
24 KOR KIM Keum Hwa 0

40 USA THOMPSON Caitlin 0
8 ITA LUCCHINO Alessandra 0

60 GER KUBISSA Stefanie 0
37 ITA POSTIGLIONE Mariangela 0

44 UKR KHOMROVA Olena 0
12 RUS VELIKAIA Sophia 0

13 RUS KORMILITSYNA Svetlana 0
45 GER KÖNIG Susanne 0

29 VEN BENITEZ Alejandra 0
4 POL SOCHA Aleksandra 0

3 FRA TOUYA Anne Lise 15
30 AUT TANZMEISTER Dorothea 7

46 POL KARPINSKA Katarzyna 0
51 JPN NAKAMURA Haruko 0

11 CHN ZHAO Yuanyuan 0
43 IRL BYRNE Siobhan 0

27 ROM PELEI Andreea 0
6 CHN TAN Xue 0

7 ITA MARZOCCA Gioia 0
26 ITA BIANCO Ilaria 0

23 KOR LEE Shin-Mi 0
10 FRA PERRUS Leonore 0

15 HUN CSABA Edina 0
47 GER KLEMM Sibylle 0

31 HUN NAGY Orsolya 0
2 USA JACOBSON Sada 0

Tableau de 64 :

1 USA ZAGUNIS Mariel 15 V
64 VEN GUTIERREZ Yerimar 5 D

33 FRA VIGNAUX Pascale 15 V
32 UKR NEDASHKOWSKA Darya 12 D

17 USA WARD Rebecca 15 V
48 AZE SIUKAYEVA Janna 6 D

49 GBR BOND-WILLIAMS Louise 11 D
16 ROM GHEORGHITOAIA Catalina 15 V

9 RUS FEDORKINA Ekaterina 11 D
56 ISL JOHANNSDOTTIR Gudrun 15 V

41 GBR NICOLL Chrystall 6 D
24 KOR KIM Keum Hwa 15 V

25 CAN CLOUTIER Julie 12 D
40 USA THOMPSON Caitlin 15 V

57 AUS HYNES Emma 9 D
8 ITA LUCCHINO Alessandra 15 V

5 RUS NETCHAEVA Elena 13 D
60 GER KUBISSA Stefanie 15 V

37 ITA POSTIGLIONE Mariangela 15 V
28 CAN SASSINE Sandra 12 D

21 JPN KANEKO Sakura 13 D
44 UKR KHOMROVA Olena 15 V

53 ESP NAVARRO Araceli 6 D
12 RUS VELIKAIA Sophia 15 V

13 RUS KORMILITSYNA Svetlana 15 V
52 VEN DALI Grisel 6 D

45 GER KÖNIG Susanne 15 V
20 HUN SZNOPEK Gabriella 10 D

29 VEN BENITEZ Alejandra 15 V
36 FRA BERENGIER Julie 13 D

61 GBR LACHETA Jessica 3 D
4 POL SOCHA Aleksandra 15 V

3 FRA TOUYA Anne Lise 15 V
62 GUA AGUIRRE SALAZAR Katia Mari 7 D

35 JPN NAKAYAMA Seira 12 D
30 AUT TANZMEISTER Dorothea 15 V

19 POL WIECKOWSKA Irena 12 D
46 POL KARPINSKA Katarzyna 15 V

51 JPN NAKAMURA Haruko 15 V
14 CHN ZHANG Ying 8 D

11 CHN ZHAO Yuanyuan 15 V
54 JPN HISAGAE Madoka 6 D

43 IRL BYRNE Siobhan 15 V
22 POL JOZWIAK Bogna 12 D

27 ROM PELEI Andreea 15 V
38 CAN SAWORSKI Donna 8 D

59 CAN OVTCHINNIKOVA Olga 4 D
6 CHN TAN Xue 15 V

7 ITA MARZOCCA Gioia 15 V
58 HKG AU YEUNG Wai Sum 7 D

39 KOR KIM Hye-lim 10 D
26 ITA BIANCO Ilaria 15 V

23 KOR LEE Shin-Mi 15 V
42 KOR LEE Mi Seon 10 D

55 GER BENAD Sandra 4 D
10 FRA PERRUS Leonore 15 V

15 HUN CSABA Edina 15 V
50 UKR PUNDYK Galyna 10 D

47 GER KLEMM Sibylle 15 V
18 HKG CHOW Tsz Ki 11 D

31 HUN NAGY Orsolya 15 V
34 GBR HUTCHISON Joanna 8 D

63 ESP CHICHON Vanesa 5 D
2 USA JACOBSON Sada 15 V

Marcos
-11th October 2005, 10:07

43 IRL BYRNE Siobhan 15 V
22 POL JOZWIAK Bogna 12 D

Good luck S !

also well done to Evgeniy Kazanschev (UZB but trains in Dublin) who came 65th in MF

randomsabreur
-11th October 2005, 10:09
Another surprising result - Johannsdottir bt Fedorkina(9) 15-11.

randomsabreur
-11th October 2005, 11:13
L8 contains 2 from the USA, 2 from Italy, 2 from Russia, one from Romania. No Chinese!

27th and 26th seeds make it through to the L8, Rebecca Ward beats Olympic Champion, Mariel Zagunis.

Interesting...

1/4 :

17 USA WARD Rebecca
8 ITA LUCCINO Alessandra

12 RUS VELIKAIA Sophia
13 RUS KORMILITSYNA Svetlana

3 FRA TOUYA Anne Lise
27 ROM PELEI Andreea

26 ITA BIANCO Ilaria
2 USA JACOBSON Sada

Tableau de 16 :

1 USA ZAGUNIS Mariel 9
17 USA WARD Rebecca 15

24 KOR KIM Keum Hwa 4
8 ITA LUCCHINO Alessandra 15

60 GER KUBISSA Stefanie 12 D
12 RUS VELIKAIA Sophia 15 V

13 RUS KORMILITSYNA Svetlana 15
4 POL SOCHA Aleksandra 12

3 FRA TOUYA Anne Lise 15
46 POL KARPINSKA Katarzyna 4

11 CHN ZHAO Yuanyuan 12
27 ROM PELEI Andreea 15

26 ITA BIANCO Ilaria 15
10 FRA PERRUS Leonore 14

15 HUN CSABA Edina 9
2 USA JACOBSON Sada 15

Boo Boo
-11th October 2005, 11:30
Any MF results - results website appears to be down :(

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 11:37
Richard currently 10-5 up.

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 11:39
Now 12-6

Boo Boo
-11th October 2005, 11:41
Originally posted by Hassan
Richard currently 10-5 up.

Good, I haven't missed anything, thank you :). Although can't seem to get the scores like you.

Have managed to eventually find a entrance into the results site - http://de.fencing2005.com/ergebnisse.php

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 11:44
Richard won, 15-8!

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 11:48
Last 32 - Kruse v Zhang

Boo Boo
-11th October 2005, 11:48
Richard won, 15-8!

Well good luck to Richard against Zhang (CHN) in the L32. Fingers crossed for James, David and David then too.

Boo

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 11:51
Mansour currently 4-5 with Stoukalin.

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 11:52
Now 5-7

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 11:58
Current scores page now 'frozen' with score at 6-7. Will keep trying to access the page.

Boo Boo
-11th October 2005, 12:01
Current scores page now 'frozen' with score at 6-7. Will keep trying to access the page.

Arrrrggghhhh! :(

Thanks for keeping us updated (technology allowing) - I can't get the current scores page to work at all...

Boo

Boo Boo
-11th October 2005, 12:06
David Mansour lost 15:13 :(

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 12:07
David lost 13-15 to Stoukalin.

Boo Boo
-11th October 2005, 12:08
(by the way, anyone else notticed how unflattering the photos in the profiles are??? Good grief! The only comfort the fencers can take is these photos seem to bear no ressemblance to reality... :eek: )

UglyBug
-11th October 2005, 12:10
What page is Hassan looking at? I've followed BooBoo's link but it is way behind what you lot know

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 12:15
http://www.fun-sport-portal.de:8080/WAFechten/fechten/wmmelder.jsp

This is the link but it is very temperamental. It allows you in for a while then seems to time out and 'freeze'. You then have to be persistent in regaining access.

Boo Boo
-11th October 2005, 12:16
Originally posted by UglyBug
What page is Hassan looking at? I've followed BooBoo's link but it is way behind what you lot know

From my link go to "Gefechtübersicht", then "Durchgang # 2 : Direct Elemination" (under men's foil). That opens up a serverlet (which may or may not refresh autotmatically) - I use the "F5" key to regularly refresh the page.

I think that Hassan may be using "aktuelle gefechte", but I can't get this to open (successfully) for me...

Boo Boo
-11th October 2005, 12:18
Oh, no Americans in the L4 of WS - that might be a bit of a surprise! (Ward lost 15:11 to Lucchino, S Jacobson lost 15:13 to Bianco).

L4 are Lucchino vs Velikaia and Touya vs Bianco.

Boo

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 12:18
Kleibrink seem to be having a hard time against Ota, 10-10 at the moment.

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 12:20
Riseley now starting against Sintes (Fra).

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 12:25
Kleibrink scraped through on time, 11-10.

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 12:26
Riseley currently 4-6 down.

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 12:30
Riseley now 8-6 up.

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 12:33
Riseley 11-9.

Shall I keep posting or does everyone have the link sorted now?

JulianRose
-11th October 2005, 12:34
just post up results maybe?

Boo Boo
-11th October 2005, 12:40
Originally posted by JulianRose
just post up results maybe?

He is a sabreur... ;)

I appreciate your updates - because I can't get the real time scores - but that is me :)

Boo

JulianRose
-11th October 2005, 12:42
well i know it got 12-12 but then stopped working

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 12:42
It's frozen again with score at 12-12! Really frustrating...

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 12:44
What a disappointment. 13-15 again.
Hard luck to the two Davids.

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 12:51
Quite a day for the Pichons from Belgium (are they brothers?), putting out the Russians Ganeev (4th in Athens) and Moltcham.

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 12:53
Looks like L32 has started already - Kruse on piste against Zhang.

Beevers 3-0 up in his 64 fight with Ichikawa.

tigger
-11th October 2005, 13:00
It's working for me...Beevers 7-4 up

tigger
-11th October 2005, 13:03
This is the ultimate anorak site...I love it!

Beevers 9-8 up

tigger
-11th October 2005, 13:06
13-9 - come on James!

Boo Boo
-11th October 2005, 13:07
Originally posted by tigger
This is the ultimate anorak site...I love it!

Lucky you - live scores not working for me, can't even get the tableau at the moment :( (must be you logging in - slowed it down for me ;) ).

Nah, ultimate anorak site would be streaming video from each piste... :grin: (then we could be watching the fights and not the scores...)

tigger
-11th October 2005, 13:07
15-10 - James into L32

Boo Boo
-11th October 2005, 13:08
15-10 - James into L32

Fantastic - two in the L32. Has Richard's L32 started yet?

D'Artignan
-11th October 2005, 13:12
What's Bissdorf up to? He was 9-3 up, now it's 13 all.

JulianRose
-11th October 2005, 13:17
richard starting now

JulianRose
-11th October 2005, 13:20
now 6-2 down. not looking so good.

JulianRose
-11th October 2005, 13:23
still four points down at 8-4

Gav
-11th October 2005, 13:25
I can't get the stupid link to work eithe ...

I hate Dual ISDN!

JulianRose
-11th October 2005, 13:26
either the most stella point in the world at 9-5 down or they are having a minutes break!!!

JulianRose
-11th October 2005, 13:27
10-6 to Zhang

JulianRose
-11th October 2005, 13:29
was 12-6.

now 13-8

JulianRose
-11th October 2005, 13:30
richard is out 15-8.

the vanni fight looks good. currently at 6-6

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 13:32
Olympic champion, Guyart, beaten by Mocek, 13-15, in L64.

Boo Boo
-11th October 2005, 13:54
Ok, so when is James on again... woudl be good to "see" that fight before I disappear this afternoon...

Eddie
-11th October 2005, 14:04
richard is out 15-8.

dunno what is going on with the current bouts thing but according to them richard was 13-12 down a minute ago

rory
-11th October 2005, 14:41
Apparently James up 9-1 (!) on Joppich...

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 14:47
11-6 now.

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 14:53
15-10!
Fantastic victory for James Beevers!

J_D
-11th October 2005, 15:00
Well done James and against Joppich too!

Gav
-11th October 2005, 15:00
What round are we in?

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 15:01
James is now in the L16. Not sure who he's fighting as I can't access the German website. My info is coming via escrime-info.

Gav
-11th October 2005, 15:04
For those of us who are "internet challenged" you can view a delayed results set at fencingchannel.tv. Click on the 'blog' link at the bottom of the page.

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 15:12
James is fighting Ruslan Kadayev of Uzbekistan in the 16.

J_D
-11th October 2005, 15:23
I guess he'll be on pretty soon after the Cassara Beaudan bout

rory
-11th October 2005, 15:48
He's on. 7-6 down right now

hokers
-11th October 2005, 15:50
James is fighting Ruslan Kadayev of Uzbekistan in the 16.

I can't find this Kadayev guy in the rankings anywhere?

J_D
-11th October 2005, 15:53
I couldn't find him either.

James has just taken it to 8-8

AussieMongrel
-11th October 2005, 15:53
Come on James!!!!!!

Australian
-11th October 2005, 15:58
10-11

J_D
-11th October 2005, 16:05
Anyone got an update, it seems stuck with James 10-11 down!

JulianRose
-11th October 2005, 16:06
i'm thinking it is all over, and most of the matches have not made it to 15.

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 16:10
You're right. Results just posted on results page. 4/8 matches didn't reach 15.

This might re-ignite the new timings debate...

Bad luck, James. But fantastic result anyway.

J_D
-11th October 2005, 16:10
10-11 on time, not the best way to go out.....but L16 is fantastic result in itself.

Well done James

Xerberus
-11th October 2005, 16:25
Originally posted by hokers
I can't find this Kadayev guy in the rankings anywhere?

Ruslan Kudayev is ranked 644 in epee!

Gav
-11th October 2005, 16:34
Originally posted by Xerberus

WTF????

How did he get to go?

rory
-11th October 2005, 16:38
Hey, he was obviously a good choice, he *did* just make a L8 at the Worlds...

randomsabreur
-11th October 2005, 16:39
Being considered good enough by the Uzbek federation. Clearly they were right given he has just got a L8!

Not all countries have qualification criteria...

Not that I am opening that can of worms anyway...

Marcos
-11th October 2005, 16:40
you have to remember the UZB federation is just picking itself up after a period of instability - they have some useful fencers, but until recently didn;t have visible fed support

haggis
-11th October 2005, 16:41
A quick look at the World rankings suggests that the Uzbeks (?) don't get out much. Kadayev is the only one that appears on the current world rankings as stated at 644 in epee with 0 points.

Gav
-11th October 2005, 16:45
Well there you go ... I agree with Haggis on this - I'd just drawn the same conclusion when I looked at the rankings.

It just goes to show how much more superior Epee is over Foil.

:rolling:

randomsabreur
-11th October 2005, 16:58
His epee ranking is from the Worlds as well. So he hasn't been seen in any world cup competition before. Obviously they train them well in Uzbeckistan!

Hassan
-11th October 2005, 17:51
Sanzo beat Deev 8-7 in first semi. Assuming there was no injury to Deev, I wonder what Roch thought of the bout.

aao
-11th October 2005, 18:30
And I'm back......and all I can say is that the competition was an excellent example of how fencing can be marketed to the masses, the finals pistes (with centeral raised piste) were supurbly layed out and lit, and it made it a great spectecal for anybody in the stands (on all four sides) and those watching it on tv.

Behind the scenes it felt a bit more like the leicster open at its worst with nobody exactly sure when and where they were meant to be fencing from the DE's onwards but hey a competitiion wouldn't be a competition without a few small cock ups (although I wish I had found out the accreditation cards had worked on the trams before parting with vast sums of money to travel on the damn things :rolleyes: )

The mens epee final was the best i have ever seen in terms of sheer excitment (and the technique was none to shoddy either), if you haven't already try and get to watch it, its shows everything that is good about fencing.

As for me well I got to fence on one of the finals pistes which was nice (and the closest I'l ever get to the world cup finals!) and err I got to blow multiple 3-2 leads which wasn't :( culminating in losing the last fight 5-4 which was mildly annoying to say the least (ps a note to all aspiring FIE refs, when a fencer comes onto your piste, don't try to be clever by talking in his 'home' language, especially if all your going to say as they come on for their first fight is 'tough luck mate'! :dizzy: ((which was incedently against a very very good German M.Schmitt, which yes I lost from 3-2 up as well *sigh* )

One more thing which is pleasing, the standard of UK epee is definately getting better, not so much with the top guys yet but especially amongst the top 50, the standard at the worlds is obviously higher but not so much higher than it was.

tigger
-12th October 2005, 10:58
Headline from the official Worlds Website:

Anne-Lise Touya is the new women’s épée World Champion

That's what I call mulit-tasking...:grin:

tigger
-12th October 2005, 11:34
Anyone else able to see what's happening at the ME team preliminaries? I can't get any info from anywhere

Harty
-12th October 2005, 11:45
Nice fencing spread in today's Daily Telegraph. Shame they called Jimmy B Paul! I dare say British Fencing will inform them of their mistake.

Glue Boy
-12th October 2005, 11:57
Headline from the official Worlds Website:

Anne-Lise Touya is the new women’s épée World Champion

That's what I call mulit-tasking...:grin:

wow, Womens Sabre and Womens Epee! now that is mpresive :tongue:

JulianRose
-12th October 2005, 12:12
GB got a bye through to 32, which is tomorrow. they will fence sweeden.

WFFC Coach
-12th October 2005, 12:23
Harty, you beat James B at Essex. He just made L16 at Worlds.

How good does that make you!?:rolleyes:

tigger
-12th October 2005, 13:43
At least World L8 standard I reckon...! If only life was that simple, eh?

haggis
-12th October 2005, 13:50
Am almost prepared to bet that Harty's never lost to an Uzbeckistani either (almost...)

Regards

Haggis

rory
-12th October 2005, 15:38
I dunno, he's lost to almost everyone else ;)

JulianRose
-13th October 2005, 10:16
well the boys lost 45-19 to sweeden in the L32. dunno how hard a draw that is but the result doesn't seem to be that great!

tigger
-13th October 2005, 10:40
Very VERY hard draw in epee...not like sabre - we'd be rubbing our hands together and playing the reserve if we drew Sweden!

IF WE HAD A TEAM THERE, that is....!!

JulianRose
-13th October 2005, 10:45
we might even consider putting me on!!! if i were there!!!! that was why i was thinkning it wasn't so good.

aao
-13th October 2005, 10:49
well the boys lost 45-19 to sweeden in the L32. dunno how hard a draw that is but the result doesn't seem to be that great!

Unfortunately for the boys Sweeden like almost all the Scandinavian countries trains almost exclusively at epee so they're rather good.
Still suprised at the margin of defeat, the Swedes aren't that much better than TC, Tris and Greg (maybe one of them was injured?)

marg
-14th October 2005, 19:37
Very VERY hard draw in epee...not like sabre - we'd be rubbing our hands together and playing the reserve if we drew Sweden!

IF WE HAD A TEAM THERE, that is....!!

Dream on Tigger! GB would have had such a good day and loads of experience at top level fencing. There were 25 teams so everyone got to fence 5 different teams. OK maybe we would have been mashed by some but not by all! What a missed opportunity.
:(

Foilling Around
-14th October 2005, 22:41
As I look at the Nation's Cup points table we are currently 21st. But even for making L64 Camille got points. With more fencers and more teams we could be higher up the table.

Doesn't this count with the BOA?

PM1
-14th October 2005, 23:49
Would they know ??

doobarz
-15th October 2005, 08:00
Gurpinder Singh (IND, sabre) enjoys World Championships in Leipzig
"In India, fencing is only known since 1989. That is why the evolution of fencing is supported very much. Unfortunately, only few people are interested in fencing as yet. Although we lost 4:45 against China we really enjoy the bouts. Leipzig is also a great place. When we are not competing we try to get a look at the city."

doobarz
-15th October 2005, 08:03
GBR Seeded 14

L32 fence VEN, woudl then fence CHN (3rd seed) in L16.

asylum-seeker
-15th October 2005, 09:19
A great effort by the girls, who only just narrowly lost to the US who have the outgoing world number one and the reigning olympic champion! And a special mention to the lovely Jojo who scored 23 hits for 13 against!

Etats-Unis Grande-Bretagne
THOMPSON Caitlin 1 4 NICOLL Chrystall
WARD Rebecca 2 5 BOND-WILLIAMS Louise
JACOBSON Sada 3 6 HUTCHISON Joanna
ZAGUNIS Mariel LACHETA Jessica

results of bouts
JACOBSON Sada 3 - 5 HUTCHISON Joanna
THOMPSON Caitlin 7 - 4 BOND-WILLIAMS Louise
WARD Rebecca 5 - 0 NICOLL Chrystall
THOMPSON Caitlin 5 - 10 HUTCHISON Joanna
JACOBSON Sada 5 - 2 NICOLL Chrystall
WARD Rebecca 5 - 1 BOND-WILLIAMS Louise
ZAGUNIS Mariel 5 - 6 NICOLL Chrystall
WARD Rebecca 5 - 8 HUTCHISON Joanna
JACOBSON Sada 5 - 2 BOND-WILLIAMS Louise
45 - 38

doobarz
-15th October 2005, 11:06
L32

GBR 45 VEN 32

L16

CHN 45 GBR 21

Currently fencing CAN and are 10-3 up.

doobarz
-15th October 2005, 11:07
The girls will fence off for places against Hong Kong.

marg
-16th October 2005, 00:13
Originally posted by doobarz
The girls will fence off for places against Hong Kong.

I think they beat Hong Kong 45:38 then lost to Korea 33:45 then lost to Ukraine 40:45

USA went on to win it but I think the GB girls got more hits on them than any other country.

Boo Boo
-16th October 2005, 00:40
Originally posted by asylum-seeker
And a special mention to the lovely Jojo who scored 23 hits for 13 against!

Fantastic fencing :)

Jan O'C
-16th October 2005, 12:15
But has anyone seen the men's sabre final result and how the scoring went - no wonder everyone sees Podz as such a star! Feel a bit sorry for Tarantino yet again tho!

Glue Boy
-16th October 2005, 15:12
i can see that russia won but what happend? what was the score?

Foilling Around
-16th October 2005, 15:33
I watch the scores changing live. The Italiens were 43:37 up at one point and hit by hit the Russians got back to 43:43. At which point the Italiens went 44:43 ahead. Then Pdz too the last hit to outscore his opponent 8:1 in the last 9 hits. Amazing! Wish I could have actually watched it rather than being a nerdy anorak and watching the scores!

Clare Halsted
-16th October 2005, 23:47
Congratulations to David, David,James and Richard who won 3 matches, and nearly the last one, to come 10th out of 27 countries.
[L32 - beat Venezuela 45-32; L16 lost to China 21-45; beat Canada 45-41; beat Korea 45-42; lost to Russia 44-45]

Clare

Jan O'C
-17th October 2005, 10:24
Originally posted by Glue Boy
i can see that russia won but what happend? what was the score?

Here you go Glue Boy:

Russia Italy
Pozd 5 3 Montano
Frossine 8 10 Tarantino
Yakimenko 11 15 Pastore
Fossine 12 20 Montano
Pozd 24 25 Pastore
Yakimenko 30 29 Tarantino
Fossine 34 35 Pastore
Yakimenko 35 40 Montano
Pozd 45 44 Tarantino

Moral of the story - never give up!! Fossine won no fights for the Russians and Yakimenko only won 1 - what does that tell you about Pozd? Superstar without a doubt.

Hope that arm is getting better. Say hi to your mum from me - see you soon.

tigger
-17th October 2005, 10:28
Superb MF result....and Jojo on fire in WS (not literally of course)...

And a special mention to the lovely Jojo who scored 23 hits for 13 against

Although not disputing Jojo's obvious qualities of loveliness, I reckon Asylum seeker is not an objective observer :grin:

Just a whisker from knocking out the top seeds - another 2 or 3 years and that WS team will be up there with the very best.

And I'm back......and all I can say is that the competition was an excellent example of how fencing can be marketed to the masses,
And how did it compare with your Leicester experience AAO? :confused:

Glue Boy
-18th October 2005, 22:00
Here you go Glue Boy:

Russia Italy
Pozd 5 3 Montano
Frossine 8 10 Tarantino
Yakimenko 11 15 Pastore
Fossine 12 20 Montano
Pozd 24 25 Pastore
Yakimenko 30 29 Tarantino
Fossine 34 35 Pastore
Yakimenko 35 40 Montano
Pozd 45 44 Tarantino

Moral of the story - never give up!! Fossine won no fights for the Russians and Yakimenko only won 1 - what does that tell you about Pozd? Superstar without a doubt.

Hope that arm is getting better. Say hi to your mum from me - see you soon.

Podz did ok then ;)

hopefully my cast will be off for Godollo and then maybe being put back on afterwards. Mum says hi back. See you at Godollo?

Jan O'C
-19th October 2005, 08:33
Originally posted by Glue Boy
Podz did ok then ;)

hopefully my cast will be off for Godollo and then maybe being put back on afterwards. Mum says hi back. See you at Godollo?

You'll see Tim & Grace - I'm having a weekend off of fencing but you'll see me in Kenten, assuming your arm survives Godollo. Good luck there - fence well!

tigger
-22nd October 2005, 11:38
27 hits out of the teams total of 45 ain't bad at that level...I reckon it's those Podzniakov blades doing the business
;)

Jan O'C
-22nd October 2005, 13:15
Or possibly his age and experience - but let's not go there!

Marcos
-27th October 2005, 12:45
Originally posted by Xerberus

just talking to an UZB friend who fenced at the WC...

this was Ruslan's first ever serious foil comp as, indeed, he is an epee-ist

AussieMongrel
-27th October 2005, 13:27
What did he end up coming? sorry being lazy.

Boo Boo
-27th October 2005, 13:37
Originally posted by AussieMongrel
What did he end up coming? sorry being lazy.

Ruslan Kudayev finished 8th.

Boo

AussieMongrel
-27th October 2005, 13:52
might have to take up foil seem like anyone can just about rock up and take a last 8 at the worlds.... Always new Sabre was the tougher weapon but really. :moon:

Boo Boo
-27th October 2005, 13:55
Originally posted by AussieMongrel
Always new Sabre was the tougher weapon but really. :moon:

Yeah, right... ;) :grin:

AussieMongrel
-27th October 2005, 14:18
Coming soon to a movie theatre near you the Ruslan Kudayev story.

Born of peasant stock this movie traces Ruslan through his early years of goat keeping and practicing his epee using a stick and swaying trees as opponents through his formulative years as a robber baron in the hills of Kazakhstan forsaking the Kalashnikov as weapon of choice for an old Leon Paul Epee he stole off a Cornish fencer who had got lost on his way to some god forsaken tournament, through to him entering the world championships after forsaking his life of crime and realising that the only way to save the ancestral goat farm is through a lucrative sponsorship deal if he can make the last 8 of the worlds.

I am thinking Naveen Andrews from Lost to play Ruslan and Daniel Craig as James Beevers.

Any way back to work......