PDA

View Full Version : Qualification for WC2005 - to be merged

Jan O'C
-10th October 2005, 11:30
I hear what you say but I can't honestly think that you would consider Chris or Jon to be 'tourists'. If that is the BFA position, fine - fund the ones they see as medal prospects, but I stick to my opinion about the remaining places, provided they have sufficient international experience - other countries do it. Not that my opinion is worth much in this situation - I don't get a vote either, I just pay for 3 kids memberships.
If qualification gets harder, subjectivity gets more important and more people get upset - not the aim of the game - fencing is supposed to be an inclusive and friendly sport (and generally is).
Chubby Hubby, thank you for the 2 links - I've re-read both but perhaps you could be more specific - exactly which bit tells me the answer? Or are you suggesting that there isn't one?

Boo Boo
-10th October 2005, 11:42
Originally posted by Jan O'C
I hear what you say but I can't honestly think that you would consider Chris or Jon to be 'tourists'.

I don't (and they know that I don't :) ).

I was stating the BFA's position and using the same phrase that they do (although they don't name the tourists, it is pretty obvious - if you look at who they select and who they don't - where that line is drawn...).

I agree with you 200%... :)

Boo

PM1
-10th October 2005, 11:47
Some might say that the answer is whatever the person who is GIVING you the answer wants it to be at that time......sorry - working(?) at home today, and feeling a little light headed......

When I am given deffinitives, I can work with them. When boundaries become vague and/or subjective, it is can become very difficult to remain rational when applying those variables, and the population affected require reasons/explanations. All decisions should be capable of being reasonable, reasoned and rational, surely, and those who make them, accountable. Some decisions are difficult to hear/make, but must be. Those concerned need to know how the decisions are reached......

Does anyone know what other countries have/had for qualification for this comp, in each weapon?

And what IS a "tourist", other than a term that I suspect is meant to be dissmissive if not derogatory?? And can someone please remind me how many A grades we have in this country?

Oh yes - and how many in Timbucktoo??

Boo Boo
-10th October 2005, 11:56
Originally posted by PM1
Does anyone know what other countries have/had for qualification for this comp, in each weapon?

USA takes top 4 from the ranking list for each weapon.

Originally posted by PM1
And what IS a "tourist", other than a term that I suspect is meant to be dissmissive if not derogatory?? And can someone please remind me how many A grades we have in this country?

I assume, the technical (i.e. non-derogatory) definition for "fencing tourist" is someone who chooses their A-grades regarding where they want to visit (i.e. Jamaica in, Siberia out...). They go for the "trip" rather than to attempt to get a serious result. At least, that is what I assume.

Originally posted by PM1
Oh yes - and how many in Timbucktoo??

Hang on, let me check my tourist's journal/photo album - I know there is a trip to Timbucktoo in there somewhere - and get back to you... ;)

Boo

Gav
-10th October 2005, 11:58
Wait,

we're not supposed to be discussing qualification here. Can we keep to the subject in hand and discuss the Worlds?

Boo Boo
-10th October 2005, 12:06
Originally posted by Gav
Wait,

we're not supposed to be discussing qualification here. Can we keep to the subject in hand and discuss the Worlds?

Sorry, was only answering the questions asked by Jan (and then PM1) - it is relevant, but I see you point... it has all been discussed before (although, obviously, it is still an issue - otherwise Jan would not have raised it...).

You could maybe split it into a seperate thread?

Boo

PM1
-10th October 2005, 14:15
Sorry Gav - :( , it was an aside.....should have raised it seperately....but I'm at home porly sick...mea culpa:rolleyes:

Foilling Around
-10th October 2005, 16:01
Who is Mea and why is she having a Cuppa?

PM1
-10th October 2005, 16:17
:tongue:

Making fun of a sickie....and I'M about to have a cuppa.....:(