PDA

View Full Version : BUSA matches

annacattiva
-14th October 2005, 12:19
How long do they usually last? Are they in relay format? What else can you tell me about them? :)

Anna

Dragonfly
-14th October 2005, 12:32
The BUSA matches for a university league. They use all three weapons and a team consists of at least 3 people and at most 11.
The matches are to 3 minutes, or first to 5 points and then the next person fights from where the last person left off.
i.e. score from last bout is carried over.
The winning team is the one that has the most hits over all 3 weapons, so scoring is out of 135.
Anything else, just ask!

Mantis
-14th October 2005, 13:26
Originally posted by Dragonfly
They use all three weapons and a team consists of at least 3 people and at most 11.

11? How does that split into 3 teams? :grin:

I think the maximum is 12 = 3+1reserve per weapon.

If I remember correctly, the matches tend to take around 3 hours in total, although you can obviously get through them quicker if you don't have people doing more than one weapon.

Insipiens
-14th October 2005, 13:43
try this link (http://www.busa.org.uk/sport.asp?parent=20010001&section=0001000200010001&sport=2001000100360011)
which should give the rules for BUSA competitions (I found it by putting BUSA fencing into Google and clicking the top link).

annacattiva
-14th October 2005, 15:11
Thanks for the info! I had actually looked already at the BUSA website and found the very page you linked to, but I was a little surprised that it was relay format, and it still doesn't give practical information, like how long they tend to go. I mean, there are a lot of things that go into how long a match is that have nothing to do with the format- how often boxes malfunction, how good the refs are, how long people take to hook up.

Thanks again!

Anna

Farrago
-15th October 2005, 08:35
It can go on for longer than 3hours quite easily. Hmm, tempted to go over to the rant thread but don't want to upset anyone:tongue:

Think the longest I've been in kit for a league match was 6hours. Got kitted up, set up pistes, boy's team took over pistes, opponents turned up 2hours late (they'd told their AU but their AU hadn't told our AU), lots of kit didn't work. We ended up scaring our men's team quite badly, they'd never seen us quite so upset/murderous before. But that was with lots of different things causing the match to drag on.

purple
-15th October 2005, 18:05
BUSA matches last for as long as the competitors can stay sober for...

... ahh, the good olde dayes.

Dragonfly
-15th October 2005, 22:06
Originally posted by annacattiva
how often boxes malfunction, how good the refs are, how long people take to hook up.

Boxes malfunction - it happens. These are uni fights, and normally fencing isn't a main sport at the uni, so there's very little in the way of funds.

Refs. Unless the uni in question has gone out of its way to get independent refs, it'll be someone on either one of the teams. So the competence of the ref really is how knowledgable either one of the teams is.

How long people take to hook up. Well the matches are men vs men and women vs women. It's very rare that a uni will host both teams at home on the same match night. So chances of hooking up are quite slim, although going to the pub afterwards is never a bad start... :tongue:

How long it takes for someone to actually attach themselves to the piste, depends very much on themselves, or whether the rest of the team helps etc.

annacattiva
-16th October 2005, 20:01
How long people take to hook up. Well the matches are men vs men and women vs women. It's very rare that a uni will host both teams at home on the same match night. So chances of hooking up are quite slim, although going to the pub afterwards is never a bad start...

:tongue: I don't know if I've been caught out here on an American/British problem or just the fact that that could be read several ways. Allow me to clarify slightly- I did actually MEAN how long it takes people to connect their body wires to the spools and to their weapons and be ready to fence. I would, however, be interested in a competition that lasted as long as it took the last couple to head off to... more private circumstances.

Dragonfly
-17th October 2005, 06:50
Originally posted by annacattiva
:tongue: I don't know if I've been caught out here on an American/British problem ... I would, however, be interested in a competition that lasted as long as it took the last couple to head off to... more private circumstances.

a) Yes, you have been caught out on an American/British problem, but to 'hook up' with someone isn't a phrase you'll hear often if at all.
b) You would be interested in such a competition? What happens if one of them is really ugly? That competition could last forever... unless I've misunderstood...