PDA

View Full Version : New Timings create classical fencing?....

ChubbyHubby
-14th October 2005, 15:06
Recent photo from WC MF final (http://pro.corbis.com/popup/Enlargement.aspx?mediauids={06b70ef1-0a3e-4871-a383-805d9e453b7b}|{ffffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff}&qsPageNo=1&fdid={5df081bd-c41a-4329-8cd8-d4185f7c356a}|{ffffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff}&Area=ImageSet&TotalCount=15&CurrentPos=6&WinID={06b70ef1-0a3e-4871-a383-805d9e453b7b})

Mmmm... I think not!

More like boring fencing with only 15 out of 35 WF team matches yesterday going to 45....

vil
-14th October 2005, 15:52
Originally posted by ChubbyHubby
Mmmm... I think not!

In fairness, that photo does seem to be from after the point.

The leg extension on Zhang's lunge in photo #8 is amazing though - he's practically doing the splits. Shame his arm wasn't fully extended by then or he'd already have got the hit... :grin:

ChubbyHubby
-14th October 2005, 16:17
Originally posted by vil
In fairness, that photo does seem to be from after the point.

I think it is just *before* the hit, judging from hits seen on the video footage.

Insipiens
-14th October 2005, 16:19
Originally posted by ChubbyHubby
I think it is just *before* the hit, judging from hits seen on the video footage.
But there is a light on in the photo (big green thing underneath the piste :))

ChubbyHubby
-14th October 2005, 16:48
Originally posted by Insipiens
But there is a light on in the photo (big green thing underneath the piste :))

so there is.... :o:

But have a look at http://quickmedia.fencingchannel.net/WCH05/MFiM.mp4

(if you can stay awake...)

You said you were there at venue.

What did you think? From the limited footage I've seen there seems to be a lot of arm back stuttering type attacks. So of drawing counter attacks so that you can counter into the counter etc.

Insipiens
-14th October 2005, 20:46
Well firstly I should say that I have not been to any A grades or Worlds under the old timings so I cannot compare with the past.

if you thought any of those clips were dull you should have seen the womens foil.

There were few classical looking foilists. There was more bladework than those clips made you think; in particular Zhang got quite a lot of hits with compound ripostes (unfortunately he seemed to run out of ideas against Sanzo in the final). But the winners in both mens and womens foil got a lot of hits by counter-attacking and attacks on preparation.

There were quite a few attacks with withdrawn arms just not finishing with a flick. I was interested that Le Pechoux (who was top of the rankings coming into this competition) seemed to have a style very suited to the new timings and was very good at close quarters in fighting.

The foil certainly wasn't spectacular to watch and only occasionally enlivened by an exchange of parries. Lots and lots of cagey bouts. it was more common than not for the womens foil to go to time. Mens foil tended to finish sooner.

Overall as a spectacle the mens epee was the best to watch - a combination of speed on the piste and blade work as well as some incredibly tight finishes (although the first three minutes tended to be less notable).

I don't believe it has made foil a more telegenic experience; probably the opposite.