PDA

View Full Version : Scottish student teams

nessyfencer
-19th October 2005, 18:55
12th and 13th November

Anyone in need of a male epeeist (foil also) to make up a team? I'm toilet trained and will bring jelly babies :grin:

Reply here or PM/email me please :)

Ronnie

D'Artignan
-19th October 2005, 19:01
Nessy's toilet trained?
You learn something new every day.:eek:

Erm, anyway, just turnup on the day and someone will be short of a corpse, sorry, epeeist (possibly foilist too). There's always a scratch team or two kicking around there:)

Aer
-19th October 2005, 19:07
should be a few scratch teams kicking around

Is SASF enforcing Breeches only across all weapons again?

D'Artignan
-19th October 2005, 19:09
I think they'll make us wear masks and jackets as well.....

nessyfencer
-19th October 2005, 20:15
Originally posted by D'Artignan
I think they'll make us wear masks and jackets as well.....

Awww, spoil all our fun. :rolleyes:

D'Artignan
-25th October 2005, 21:15
Well, I won't be going as I need to save up the rest of my hlidays for "proper" comps (Ok then, for Scottish opens), so there may be space in one of our teams somewhere (unless they find a chimp or something to fill my boots)

Piston Broke
-28th October 2005, 13:37
Where exactly are the teams this year? It better not be some god foresaken hole like Aberdeen or Dundee.

nessyfencer
-28th October 2005, 13:40
Originally posted by Piston Broke
Where exactly are the teams this year? It better not be some god foresaken hole like Aberdeen or Dundee.

It better not be? Why, what would you do if it was? Besides, Aberdeen aint that bad, at least we don't have to be embarrased enough bout where we are from that we don't display it :moon:

Piston Broke
-28th October 2005, 13:47
I would get really cross and not get and instead spend the weekend organising my issues of the Sword in chronological order. Before watching every James Bond film back to back.

nessyfencer
-28th October 2005, 13:50
I would get really cross and not get and instead spend the weekend organising my issues of the Sword in chronological order. Before watching every James Bond film back to back.

That sounds about as exciting as the student teams :tongue:

Junkie
-28th October 2005, 16:17
The teams are in Strathclyde Uni this year, a perfectly servicable sports hall if I remember correctly and about 30 seconds from queen street station.

Nessy if you turn up on the day there will be a space for you on some scratch team though the standard of your team mates will be fairly poor. You may well end up with the 2 worst of the twifty fencers that st. andrews and edinburgh bring with them.

Also get there early if your looking to form a scratch team as it gives you a bit of time to sort everything out.

fitch
-28th October 2005, 18:41
Originally posted by Junkie

Nessy if you turn up on the day there will be a space for you on some scratch team though the standard of your team mates will be fairly poor.

not always, i remember we put our extra man in a scratch team last year and he gubbed everyone in our a team, also sometimes there are scratch teams where reasonably good people turn up and have nobody else from their uni to p[lay with - e.g. teh smaller uni clubs.

Piston Broke
-28th October 2005, 18:42
I'm sure nessy fencer would lick into shape any deliquents from edinburgh or st andrews that are in his team. We should create a forum team!

Junkie
-28th October 2005, 20:13
Ok so the scratch teams are not always bad but they often are.

Also if you are awesome enough then you can get round the rubbishness of your team mates. Scott Brodie managed to get a bronze last year inspite of the fact that his 2 team mates were complete beginners.

Also anyone wanna make some predictions for a starter heres who I think is gonna win everything

Mens foil - Aberdeen
Mens epee - Edinburgh
Mens sabre - Dundee though it is fairly open

Womens foil - Edinburgh
Womens epee - Edinburgh
Womens sabre - Edinburgh

Piston Broke
-28th October 2005, 20:51
I don't suppose Junkie could be from edinburgh?

He're are my predictions

ME: Strathclyde
MF: St Andrews
MS St Andrews or Dundee

Piston Broke
-28th October 2005, 20:53
oops forgot womens, actually on the other hand who cares.

D'Artignan
-29th October 2005, 09:36
I'm noting a lack of predictions for Dundee winning the MF. Why?

MakeTradeFair
-29th October 2005, 23:56
Despite after Andy Clarkes incredible comeback of 15 - 2 against St. Andrews at the BUSA teams (to clinch the match 45 - 42), Dundee dont stand a chance at winning the sabre this year as Andy will be competing at the Welsh which for some reason best known to SASF is on the same weekend.

The reason noone has said Dundee will win mens foil... is simply because they wont. Especially as you cant be arsed to go D'art.

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 00:00
Originally posted by MakeTradeFair

The reason noone has said Dundee will win mens foil... is simply because they wont. Especially as you cant be arsed to go D'art. Nice to know you've got faith in your fellow Dundonians, MTF, and I've already told you, I need my holidays from work for other things

Junkie
-30th October 2005, 09:40
Ok so my dundee sabre winning prediction was based on MTF being there.
Actually all my predictions were based on universities bringing their best teams which looks rather unlikely if the welsh open is on.

Piston Broke
-30th October 2005, 19:30
Actually most students will probably be their as with the excpetion of a few they would get their ass handed to them at the welsh.
Don't forget that it also clashes with an fie satellite a grade for men's epee in Oslo.

Piston Broke
-30th October 2005, 20:01
Plus I may have a hot date that weekend

Piston Broke
-30th October 2005, 20:06
May I also say that my prediction were 100% correct apart from the Men's Epee which to be honest I let my heart rule my head. A blind man moon-walking for a bus could see that Edinburgh had the best epee team.

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 20:51
Plus I may have a hot date that weekend Eh? I turned you down, what are you on about?

MakeTradeFair
-30th October 2005, 20:51
However, Mr. Broke, I believe your prediction was for the Scottish Student Teams, not BUSA - so you cannot be sure yet that they were correct. Stevo will be in Wales, so Edinburgh epee team will not be as strong (but probably still whip everyone else). St. Andrews will have lost their #1 foilest Mr Loggie, so their team will be hindered (but christophe will probably still whip everyone else) and sabre... who knows.... who cares... I think we all know the direness of Scottish Student Sabre at present... (with the exception of a talented, smooth good looking guy from Dundee and Mr. Moncreiff).

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 20:58
Originally posted by MakeTradeFair
sabre... who knows.... who cares... I think we all know the direness of Scottish Student Sabre at present... (with the exception of a talented, smooth good looking guy from Dundee and Mr. Moncreiff). I'm a foilist, you idiot. Besides I don't think I said I definitely wouldn't be there, just that I doubted it.

Piston Broke
-30th October 2005, 21:06
Why don't you just ask me out D'Artanginan

Well my predictions were pretty accurate for the qualifiers Mr FTM.
Stevo and his vintage brand of humour will be missed as will James ' jumanji' Loggie but possibly the biggest loss of all will be a sexy beast of an epeeist from strathclyde.

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 21:11
Why don't you just ask me out D'Artanginan
You're not my type...
And the biggest loss will not be Mr Broke at all, it'l be the cheerleaders I won't be taking any more :confused:

MakeTradeFair
-30th October 2005, 21:13
why would anyone go to a student fencing competition which has been stripped of all its banter? With none of the a-list celebs there... its really looking like a pretty shoddy barrel of rocks isnt it?

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 21:16
One of the triple-A-list celebs might be there, though I doubt I'll get the time off

Piston Broke
-31st October 2005, 10:07
Your cheerleaders will be missed D'Artagninan, but if you had attended the qualifiers you would have seen a few fine young ladies.

Couldn't agreet more MTF, without the superstars of scottish student fencing the competition will be a verey sad and banter-less place.

Piston Broke
-13th November 2005, 19:08
So who actually went and what happened?

D'Artignan
-13th November 2005, 20:40
I didn't, and probably wouldn't know even if I was there:rolleyes:

Aer
-13th November 2005, 22:43
MF: To be finished at Aberdeen (St Andrews A vs Aberdeen) 3rd - edinburgh and Stirling
ME: Edinburgh A (beat St Andrews A in final) 3rd???
MS: Poule unique, Edinburgh won, HWU 2nd, St And 3rd.

-----
LE: St Andrews 2nd Ed (i think)
LS: only 2 teams showed up. no idea who won.
LF: Edinburgh A beat St And A.

Interesting that despite having 3 hours more on the saturday the men's foil wasnt finished at time, and day two was finished way before time ran out. Something to do with ladies Netball or something...

pqg
-14th November 2005, 00:43
Originally posted by Aer
MF: To be finished at Aberdeen (St Andrews A vs Aberdeen) 3rd - edinburgh and Stirling
ME: Edinburgh A (beat St Andrews A in final) 3rd???
MS: Poule unique, Edinburgh won, HWU 2nd, St And 3rd.

-----
LE: St Andrews 2nd Ed (i think)
LS: only 2 teams showed up. no idea who won.
LF: Edinburgh A beat St And A.

Interesting that despite having 3 hours more on the saturday the men's foil wasnt finished at time, and day two was finished way before time ran out. Something to do with ladies Netball or something...

Filling in the gaps:

ME 3rd were Dundee and (I think) Strathclyde
LE 2nd was Edinburgh B - 3rd were Edinburgh A and Strathclyde
LS Edinburgh beat Heriot Watt (only 2 teams)
LF 3rd were Edinburgh B and Glasgow

Overall title: Edinburgh beat StAndrews 73 points to 68 (69 if StAndrews go on to win the MF final). Next best club was a long way behind with something like 24.

Even allowing for the increased SF cost deterring new beginners and the Welsh Open taking some top fencers away, the turnout was frankly pathetic. (17 MF teams, 10 ME, 5 MS, 9 LF, 6 LE, 2 LS - making a total of 49 teams in a competition that regularly had 100 in the mid/late-90s)

And as for finishing on time on Sunday - it had a lot to do with Richard Carter (SASF President) taking charge of DT to ensure we didn't have a repeat of Saturday's fiasco.

Piston Broke
-14th November 2005, 10:13
Pathetic? It just sounds like a run of the mill scottish student competition minus the banter and the best fencers. Interesting to see Strathclyde third in epee, I shouldn't bother fencing more often!

D'Artignan
-14th November 2005, 16:29
It doesn't lookas if you were missed at all there Piston. There may have been some notable absentees in some other teams though...

Piston Broke
-15th November 2005, 08:46
Like your good self D'Artaginan

D'Artignan
-15th November 2005, 17:51
Like your good self D'Artaginan Oooohhhh, I think I've pulled. Any women want to start complimenting/BS-ing me?:tongue:

Piston Broke
-16th November 2005, 12:05
Get your coat D'Artignan

D'Artignan
-16th November 2005, 17:11
Changed my mind. You're not my type, unless you've had that operation now.

Aer
-23rd November 2005, 23:09
The final of the men's foil took place on wednesday at aberdeen.

St Andrews' A 45-41 Aberdeen

cheers to Aberdeen for the warm welcome :)

Piston Broke
-24th November 2005, 09:14
Better ridiculously late than never I suppose. Don't suppose the absence of your best foilist ( jamez was at the welsh) that weekend affected your decision to fence Aberdeen later on?

Aer
-24th November 2005, 10:42
Aberdeen said the teams must be unchanged from those checked in at the weekend of teams.

which meant I had to drive, be sub, and be the token brit on team germany.

cheers to Scott Brodie for presiding :)

Piston Broke
-24th November 2005, 13:12
Just as well for Aberdeen eh? Deutchland uber alles.

Bambi
-25th November 2005, 11:19
It was quite funny haveing their team speaking german constantly with Aer just sitting there looking depressed and occasionally saying the odd german word he's picked up.

Congrats again to St Andrews.

Piston Broke
-25th November 2005, 15:52
Like kurtzen schnurbarte or ein bier bitte!

D'Artignan
-25th November 2005, 21:42
Only "ein bier", piston? You getting soft in your old age?:confused: