PDA

View Full Version : New Gear

Red Devil
-24th October 2005, 01:29
I've been fencing for awhile, so I think it is time for some new gear. My blades are now dry or broken. My current gear doesn't fit, kinda yellowish, I got the blood stains out though.. :maul:

I want to be a little more personalized.

I like the Jacket from adidas (with the black stripe down the sides) As for a mask I thought about green or red. Or painting my old one (anyone know any sites with designs/instructions). Is painting a mask even wise for Epee? It kind of gives your opponent a place to aim for.

As for blades, I know there are gold blades. Are there any others? I hear of blue blades, what company sells them/ do they have matching bellgaurds? Can you paint your own blade?( a red tent would be nice along the blade) If so what paint should be used?

I've had friends in SCA that used black leather gauntlets in regular practice. Can you use these in Tournies? or is that a no no.

gbm
-24th October 2005, 09:00
First of all...
Adidas kit is just Uhlmann kit with stripes that costs much more.
LP sell masks in different colours, for a small surcharge (~£5-6)
Painting your own mask is probably a bad idea (chips of paint in your eyes, paint on your bib etc.). But it is fine for epee.
BF sell their foil blades in normal and blue... I assume they do the same for epee blades. But the only real difference is the colour and the price...
Don't paint your blade! It won't last five minutes, and it will (illegally) insulate your blade. I'm assuming your an epeeist... which means that hits to your blade will register.
I don't know if you'd be allowed to wear black gloves in a competition... I would guess however that they would not improve your finger control! You can get leather fencing gloves from LP and possibly others. But they are rarely used...

Secondly, wouldn't it be best to pick equipment based on what feels good to you (to fence with) rather than what looks good to you?

Ulrika
-24th October 2005, 17:44
Originally posted by goodbadandme
Secondly, wouldn't it be best to pick equipment based on what feels good to you (to fence with) rather than what looks good to you? Yes, good advice GBM.

As for gloves there are no rules about it (as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong), other than that it is compulsory. If you can find a black glove that fits you then go ahead.

I personally like coloured masks so go go go! :)
Mine's an allstar dark blue one. I don't think allstar (GER) charged me extra for the colour... (They have a campaign on the ordinary black ones now though so I can't confirm prices.)

allstar (again I'm referring to allstar GER) sells 'Gold' and 'Rainbow' coloured StM blades as well as BF blue blades. I have never seen a tinted/coloured épée guard.

Oh, and instead of the Adidas kit I think it would look sooo much better with a regular white kit with coloured panels.

Do a forum search and you will find lots of discussions to mask painting as well as coloured panels. The only British fencer I can think of that has coloured panels is your junior foilist Dominique Stowell (I think that's her name).

Red Devil
-24th October 2005, 22:50
I'm having trouble finding this Uhlmann black striped jacket and pants...I can't find it on their website..can someone poster a link??

Red Devil
-24th October 2005, 23:15
anyone think it would be possible to do a Eye of Sauron on a fencing mask?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/photomoore13s/TheEyeOfSauron_800.jpg

Or maybe just a white hand of saurumon

Aer
-25th October 2005, 08:04
Originally posted by Red Devil

seen similar done in badminton on the strings of a racket.

cesh_fencing
-25th October 2005, 22:58
Most of the kit between Duellist, Allstar/Uhlmann is similar in quality so fit/comfort/price is the area to look at.

Simply buying the Adidas kit because you like the look of it is a bit daft... Find kit that you are comfortable in and does the job....

Blades wise, do not worry about the colour... Have not seen a gold blade that feels good as yet, try the BF Blue blades from Allstar/Uhlmann for great balance and light weight with precision control (if you have it).

Mask wise, if you want extra designs try Duellist, they seem to do various designs if you want to be different... Simply having coloured masks usually denotes (or was the Leon Paul theory in the past for blue masks) that the kit is a club mask so you are not very good!!! Personally I think they look naff!!!!

If you stand out from the croud, you invite people to have more of a go at you... If you train and get technique and style and end up winning events you will look a whole lot better than if you get the flash gear and go out early at events.....

Jon Willis
-26th October 2005, 22:28
I've got a nice set of Red and Blue kit if you want, or some Adidas Kit. As for suppliers, can I take the time to recommend Leon Paul, the best supplier of fencing kit in the World.

cesh_fencing
-26th October 2005, 22:42
Sorry - Should have included Leon Paul kit in my last post for similar quality etc for jackets etc..

PM1
-26th October 2005, 22:55
Originally posted by gbm
... wouldn't it be best to pick equipment based on what feels good to you (to fence with) rather than what looks good to you?

WHAT???? don't let Jonny Willis realise that you've said that :o: :confused: :dizzy:

His first rule of fencing is to look good, aint that right, JW??:grin:

gbm
-27th October 2005, 00:55
Having been hit in the small of the back by (beautiful) flicks in epee by Jon Willis, I suspect in his case he could take most fencers apart with just about anything... ;)

cesh_fencing
-27th October 2005, 20:25
Looks can be peoples downfall... Vanity is great in an opponent as it gives you something to take advantage of...

How many of you know/or are fencers who have tried to make the last hit look flash and then lose the fight trying.

I have won fights I should not have and lost fights due to this exact issue and you learn with time that hitting the high %age hits is better in the long term as you win the important fights/events.

Hits in the middle of the back are great, but when the pressure comes at big events they tend to not be as safe as they could be.

TC was the shining example of this at the 2004 Nationals. I cannot remember seeing what I would call a cocky hit in all the fights I saw him fence there, but he won the event with ease (totally demolishing me in the process)...

Jon Willis
-27th October 2005, 22:28
We all know the 5 rules of sport! Looking good is the first - No point being World Champion if you don't look good!

Just remember kids, Train hard, play fair and don't take sweets off strangers.

Demonic
-27th October 2005, 22:43
and never forget- HURT OBLITERATE AND DESTROY YOUR OPPONENT..

doesnt matter how good someone looks when they are hoping around screaming in pain cause you just nailed their foot to the floor :tongue:

just ask gav hehe (wasnt me though :confused: )

cesh_fencing
-28th October 2005, 15:37
We all know the 5 rules of sport! Looking good is the first - No point being World Champion if you don't look good!

I cannot see any of our Epeeists quite becoming Senior World Champion next year - can you? (though I hope to god someone/anyone proves me wrong).

So I would have thought looking OK but being World Champ would be better, our fencers need to stop the preening & posturing and become better fencers internationally!!

Many of our top fencers over all weapons seem to have the same mentality (look flash at home and win lots of Opens) and then die at Senior Worlds and in many cases even at the Nationals, when more pressure kicks in (there are a couple of exceptions before anyone bites my head off).

I agree with the train hard (my downfall) rule;

but then play as close to the rules that you can get away with (as all the Europeans do), so know the rules and use them to your advantage and watch referees to see if their interpretation of a rule is strict or not and fence to this interpretation; If in the eyes of the Ref you break the rules, don't get p*****d off with them but learn from it and do not do the same thing again with that ref..

and get the best kit to suite your style of fencing (i.e. functionality - not looks). Especially get the best balanced comfortable weapon you can... This is the most important bit of kit you own for winning fights. If the £60 is OK and the £80 is perfect, spend the extra money...Save elsewhere (i.e. Addidas stripes)

Then kick arse when it counts...

AND don't accept sweets from strangers 'or strange people (addition)' which is very sound advice from Jon for our younger members.

And if you obliterate your opponent with skill and technique they will never mentally recover from it fully, if you hurt them they will always seek revenge..

Gav
-28th October 2005, 15:45
Great post from cesh. Functionality over form. Classical Fencing is all about form. It's all very well being flash but when your footwork sucks - it sucks.

Foilling Around
-28th October 2005, 16:19
The only variation from the sweets rule is that you can accept Jelly Babies from Baldric, even though he is strange in many ways!!

Jon Willis
-28th October 2005, 20:30
Jelly Babies, yes please however if at comps people could supply me with Cola Bottles that would be better.

As for fencing, it's nice to win, but it's more important to be nice. Just make sure you enjoy what you do or their's no point in doing it. Big Smiles

JW (one of fencing cuddly guys)

John Rohde
-29th October 2005, 02:48
Originally posted by Jon Willis
As for fencing, it's nice to win, but it's more important to be nice. Just make sure you enjoy what you do or their's no point in doing it. Big Smiles

JW (one of fencing cuddly guys)

And a fencing philosopher IMHO :-)

Red Devil
-29th October 2005, 03:10
You guys really move from the topic at hand...

Jelly beans?

sabre_ferret
-30th October 2005, 22:25
better than jelly babies......

Mmmm gourmet ones. Shame they cost more than pellets of gold..... well, nearly. I'd buy a swimming pool full of them if I won the lottery anyway!

madfencer
-7th November 2005, 13:25
how about fruite pastilles? mmmmmmmmm fizzy cola bottles rock...not so keen on milk bottles theyre weird. give me a mars bar any day!!! i love choccie im a chocoholic! :tongue:

Red Devil
-8th November 2005, 00:58
Like I said, you guys stray off subject way to easily, not only that, but this post is wayyy old... And you still make pointless comments that flood my e-mail box :/

Nick
-8th November 2005, 19:08
Originally posted by Jon Willis
As for suppliers, can I take the time to recommend Leon Paul, the best supplier of fencing kit in the World.
Don't you use Uhlmann kit though?

anisa
-9th November 2005, 11:02
Originally posted by Red Devil

I have seen Saurumon's hand on a mask used by a Hungarian fencer so it seems possible, yes. Looked quite good, too.:)

madfencer
-6th December 2005, 15:15
that would be sooooooo cool :cool:

*sorry just noticed the post date of the previous post...sorry chaps :o:

frazzled
-6th December 2005, 20:11
Originally posted by cesh_fencing
I cannot see any of our Epeeists quite becoming Senior World Champion next year - can you? (though I hope to god someone/anyone proves me wrong).

So I would have thought looking OK but being World Champ would be better, our fencers need to stop the preening & posturing and become better fencers internationally!!

Many of our top fencers over all weapons seem to have the same mentality (look flash at home and win lots of Opens) and then die at Senior Worlds and in many cases even at the Nationals, when more pressure kicks in (there are a couple of exceptions before anyone bites my head off).

I agree with the train hard (my downfall) rule;

but then play as close to the rules that you can get away with (as all the Europeans do), so know the rules and use them to your advantage and watch referees to see if their interpretation of a rule is strict or not and fence to this interpretation; If in the eyes of the Ref you break the rules, don't get p*****d off with them but learn from it and do not do the same thing again with that ref..

and get the best kit to suite your style of fencing (i.e. functionality - not looks). Especially get the best balanced comfortable weapon you can... This is the most important bit of kit you own for winning fights. If the £60 is OK and the £80 is perfect, spend the extra money...Save elsewhere (i.e. Addidas stripes)

Then kick arse when it counts...

AND don't accept sweets from strangers 'or strange people (addition)' which is very sound advice from Jon for our younger members.

And if you obliterate your opponent with skill and technique they will never mentally recover from it fully, if you hurt them they will always seek revenge..

A little Yodaish CESH.......... might have to check your ears next time we meet;)

cesh_fencing
-6th December 2005, 23:16
Frazzled

'May the force be with you!!!!'

frazzled
-6th December 2005, 23:29
LOL :grin:

madfencer
-7th December 2005, 13:27
i god i get the feeling this could turn into a star wars thread soon :confused:

:father: :yoda: :luke: :maul: :starfight :vader: :transport ...OMG how many star wars ones are there!!...thats why we should have some more christmas ones gbm and Gav!

frazzled
-7th December 2005, 20:31
Chris's new Avatar = :yoda:

Check out the ears!!

rob_lifes_short
-7th December 2005, 20:35
Go fo a LP contour fit mask mine is so light but colour is a little extra Duellist will do you a mask with union jack on the front which is quite cool but a little pricey!!:)

rob_lifes_short
-7th December 2005, 21:54
Ther's a black glove going on ebay search fencing glove

cesh_fencing
-8th December 2005, 00:17
I green and got a pointy stick!!!!!!

gbm
-8th December 2005, 01:28
Originally posted by madfencer
thats why we should have some more christmas ones gbm and Gav!

err... little bit worried about the way you said that! :o:

late starter
-8th December 2005, 09:38
Originally posted by cesh_fencing
I green and got a pointy stick!!!!!!

Have you see your doctor?

:)

Gav
-8th December 2005, 10:20
What is all this rubbish?

frazzled
-8th December 2005, 10:50
Sorry Gav:upset:

madfencer
-9th December 2005, 09:22
Originally posted by gbm
err... little bit worried about the way you said that! :o:

:rolleyes: :confused: :dizzy: erm...yea...soooooo yea you should get us some more christmas smileys! (that better?) :)

madfencer
-9th December 2005, 09:22
sorry Gav :upset: :(