PDA

View Full Version : Busa Qualifiers This Weekend

Piston Broke
-26th October 2005, 13:38
Who here is going to the busa qualifiers in Edinburgh this weekend? I can barely contain my childlike enthusiasim.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

twohappyhippos
-26th October 2005, 17:20
yep I'll be there.

the excitement is too much, I cant control myself......

nah should be good fun

D'Artignan
-26th October 2005, 18:11
Sorry, can't make it. I'm painting my toe-nails.

Piston Broke
-26th October 2005, 19:14
Glad to hear Two Happy Hippos will be there for some banter. When are you coming down to EFC Happy Hippo? Sad to hear D'Artanginan wont be there though. Must be a hot date that he has.

Aer
-26th October 2005, 20:40
ill be there :)

D'Artignan
-26th October 2005, 21:38
Originally posted by Piston Broke
Sad to hear D'Artanginan wont be there though. Must be a hot date that he has. I wish! I'm bloomin' well working:(

twohappyhippos
-26th October 2005, 22:19
Will definately be up for some banter!!! just introduce yourself and we'll have a giggle.

should be down the club on thursday. I know you're looking forward to it as much as I am!!! hehe. yai more fencing! more sweaty kit to wash! lol love it really!

D'Artignan
-26th October 2005, 23:02
You've obviously not been to these things before have you, 2HH?:dizzy:

twohappyhippos
-26th October 2005, 23:18
nope! but as everyone knows I'm always up for a giggle, and even if it is boring I'm sure I'll manage to liven it up some how, like by tripping over my kit, falling flat on my face in front of everyone. it's bound to happen.

dude, you're gonna miss out big time!

D'Artignan
-26th October 2005, 23:21
I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree here. I like having a laugh as much as anyone, but there just isn't enough alcohol involved to make it fun, unlike, say Inverclyde

twohappyhippos
-26th October 2005, 23:24
oki doki lets!

well I'll hopefully be at the next Inverclyde where we can drink lots of alcohol together and have a blast. ok?

D'Artignan
-26th October 2005, 23:24
It's a deal.:)

Piston Broke
-27th October 2005, 09:05
I will bring my very best banter 2 Happy Hippos, might see you at the club tonight. It's a shame D'Artanginan isn't going I will miss his cynical humour but perhaps some other scottish student fencing legends will be along.

Aer
-27th October 2005, 10:08
well, be sure to say hi :) I'll be the confused foilist fencing sabre for st andrews 2nds.

nessyfencer
-27th October 2005, 10:41
Nope, won't be there... as much as 2 weekends in a row in Edinburgh is apealing.

Piston Broke
-27th October 2005, 13:27
Oh I dunno about that Aer, associating with you aristocrats from St Andrews may give me a bad name in the mean streets of Strahclyde Uni.
You just aren't hardcore enough Nessy. You big chicken!

nessyfencer
-27th October 2005, 15:00
You just aren't hardcore enough Nessy. You big chicken!

oooh... fighting talk?

Moppet
-27th October 2005, 15:00
:chicken:

D'Artignan
-27th October 2005, 17:13
It's a shame D'Artanginan isn't going I will miss his cynical humour but perhaps some other scottish student fencing legends will be along. Any humour is totally unintentional, I'm just grumpy, and do you mean "legend" in the same way Steve Rennie is a "legend"? Or is it a compliment?

Bambi
-28th October 2005, 10:42
I'll be down and im bringing my band of unruly misfits and terrors. Hopefully we'll have as much luck as last year and even more.

Does anyone know of any plans for sat night? I know nothing is usually planned but would be good. My lot will be hitting the pubs in true fencing style the second we finish, if not before
:grin:

See you all 2moro :fencingsm

J_D
-28th October 2005, 10:50
Originally posted by D'Artignan
Any humour is totally unintentional, I'm just grumpy, and do you mean "legend" in the same way Steve Rennie is a "legend"? Or is it a compliment?

I went drinking with Mr Rennie when I was up for the Vets Commonwealths last August.lots of fun!

Aer
-28th October 2005, 11:11
Originally posted by Bambi
I'll be down and im bringing my band of unruly misfits and terrors. Hopefully we'll have as much luck as last year and even more.

Does anyone know of any plans for sat night? I know nothing is usually planned but would be good. My lot will be hitting the pubs in true fencing style the second we finish, if not before
:grin:

See you all 2moro :fencingsm

I'm sure there will be a pub crawl or something sorted :)

Who is coming down from aberdeen?

Piston Broke
-28th October 2005, 13:33
I mean legends such as yourself D'Artaginan and Andy Clarke, although Steve Rennie and Pistol Pete are different kettle of fish.
I dunno what's planned but I presume St Andrews and Edinburgh will retire to a local gentlemen's club to smoke cigars, drink port and discuss right wing politics.

D'Artignan
-28th October 2005, 13:38
I mean legends such as yourself D'Artaginan and Andy Clarke, although Steve Rennie and Pistol Pete are different kettle of fish.
Are you trying to pimp for somewhere to kip at the individuals by any chance?;)
And I think Andy will be there, somewhere.

As for St Andrews and Edinburgh, wouldn't they get the butlers to discuss the politics while the fencers themselves quaffed Krystal by the Nebachadnezzar? Or is Krystal, like, soooooo last year

Piston Broke
-28th October 2005, 13:44
I heard that Edinburgh and St Andrews tried to limit the entry this weekend by making it black tie only(top hat and tails optional)

Insipiens
-28th October 2005, 14:00
I heard that Edinburgh and St Andrews tried to limit the entry this weekend by making it black tie only(top hat and tails optional)
What!! :eek: You can't wear black tie with tails! That would be ridiculously casual. :eek: :)

Piston Broke
-28th October 2005, 18:49
I know. I have actually seen some St Andrews fencers with solid gold gub screws in their weapons.

Aer
-28th October 2005, 18:51
I know. I have actually seen some St Andrews fencers with solid gold gub screws in their weapons.
nah. they break too easily ;)

Gav
-29th October 2005, 17:55
Ahhh Student banter ... I miss it.

If I get myself sorted and join the OU next year can I join in these antics as well?

nessyfencer
-29th October 2005, 19:08
Originally posted by Gav
Ahhh Student banter ... I miss it.

If I get myself sorted and join the OU next year can I join in these antics as well?

Can't see why not... Just don't put us all to shame ;)

What you plannin to study Gav?

D'Artignan
-29th October 2005, 23:42
Originally posted by nessyfencer
What you plannin to study Gav? He's gonna follow a long line of students who just sign up for something random, say, pharmaceutical chemistry, and then spend the next few years getting blootered, copying someone elses work (while getting better marks than the person they copied) and somehow getting a bit of paper saying they now have a degree.

nessyfencer
-30th October 2005, 12:14
He's gonna follow a long line of students who just sign up for something random, say, pharmaceutical chemistry, and then spend the next few years getting blootered, copying someone elses work (while getting better marks than the person they copied) and somehow getting a bit of paper saying they now have a degree.

Sounds somewhat similar to my course :confused:

Aer
-30th October 2005, 18:33
just got back from the qualifiers.

Not bad for our 2nd team - first time we were there and we competed well with all the other unis!

We only dropped one match - aberdeen (when we won sabre 45-44, and epee 45-30odd, but lost foil 45-18? ish)

we won the other matches - finished 2nd in the division, but no prizes there :(

Apparently there is a "Busa Trophy" (not shield) which is a 2nd team only thing (thus previously just the varsity match between oxbridge) which we might get entered for. who knows.

Great banter too :) Cheers to the guys who came down to preside :)

Piston Broke
-30th October 2005, 19:37
How about brweing Gav? or the ladies eh?

I fair enjoyed my saturday despite it being a complete shambles and being robbed against St Andrews B

Aer
-30th October 2005, 21:22
How about brweing Gav? or the ladies eh?

I fair enjoyed my saturday despite it being a complete shambles and being robbed against St Andrews B

:o: oops :confused: so who were you then ;)

Still finding it difficult to put names to faces :(

twohappyhippos
-30th October 2005, 21:28
well it was a good weekend, I had a hoot, and we even managed to come first which was very exciting. :grin:

Saturday night was good fun too, big cheese at potterow. Kat Gracey and myself drinking far too much, dancing too all the songs (our feet still hurt this morning) and then drinking some more. Loved it.

Hope everyone else had fun!!!

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 21:32
Originally posted by Aer
:o: oops :confused: so who were you then ;)

Still finding it difficult to put names to faces :( I'm willing to sell secrets for (lots of) money

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 21:33
Originally posted by twohappyhippos
myself drinking far too much, then drinking some more. Practising for Inverclyde then 2HH?

Aer
-30th October 2005, 21:40
I'm willing to sell secrets for (lots of) money

but im a poor student :( and i need to fix my kit so i can go to the next busa thing. :(

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 21:45
Originally posted by Aer
but im a poor student :( At St Andrews?:whistle:

Aer
-30th October 2005, 21:47
At St Andrews?:whistle:

yup. not all st andreans are paid for by daddy.

mores the pity :(

:p

So who would i have met from this forum this weekend?

twohappyhippos
-30th October 2005, 21:48
Practising for Inverclyde then 2HH?

of course! looking forward to it.

twohappyhippos
-30th October 2005, 21:52
Originally posted by Aer
So who would i have met from this forum this weekend?

me!!!! i was the blonde edinburgh foilist come epeeist with stripes and KUHLMEY across my back. Probs complaining the whole time about my left arm which really hurt.

Aer
-30th October 2005, 21:53
me!!!! i was the blonde edinburgh foilist come epeeist with stripes and KUHLMEY across my back. Probs complaining the whole time about my left arm which really hurt.

er.. the one talking to katherine (N. Ire) from our team?

twohappyhippos
-30th October 2005, 21:55
the one, the only, that would be me.

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 21:55
Originally posted by Aer
So who would i have met from this forum this weekend? Pretty sure you've already worked this out, but Mr Broke was fencing epee for Srathclyde (probably still drunk), MTF was Dundee's great hope (seeing as I wasn't there :confused: ), 2HH was an epeeist for Edinburgh, Junkie was there, somewhere. Bambi was probably there. That's all I can think of, in my state of perpetual inebriation:)

Aer
-30th October 2005, 21:56
that brings the total of FF ppl i know to.... three -

Neo, you and a... dentist from dundee :tongue:

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 21:57
of course! looking forward to it. You'd better be able to hold your drink by then (or your drinking buddy, seeing as I have absolutely no plans to repeat this years' antics)

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 21:58
Originally posted by Aer
that brings the total of FF ppl i know to.... three -

Neo, you and a... dentist from dundee :tongue: What has Wannabe_foilist done to you? And did he pay good money for the privelege?

Aer
-30th October 2005, 22:02
What has Wannabe_foilist done to you? And did he pay good money for the privelege?

heh, probably the first non-st andrews fencer i met on the SASF circuit when i started fencing all of 3 - 4 years ago.

Got to think of where to apply for clinicla training (I'm a medic) - looking at Manchester (guarranteed place) or Edinburgh at the moment - tho after an edinburgh guy managed to spill coffee over my kit this weekend I'm leaning more towards manchester!

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 22:11
Originally posted by Aer
Got to think of where to apply for clinicla training (I'm a medic) - looking at Manchester (guarranteed place) or Edinburgh at the moment - tho after an edinburgh guy managed to spill coffee over my kit this weekend I'm leaning more towards manchester! Was that Steven Millar by any chance? I used to "train" with him and co-ordination isn't his strong point:tongue:

Aer
-30th October 2005, 22:13
no, it was Dave (the coach) - he was clearing the end of a piste and instead of picking bags up he moved them with his feet. - goodbye starbugs coffee, hello coffe stained jacket.

:(

ah well, time to wash kit tomorrow.

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 22:20
Och, he's Irish, so don't be too hard on him.
Threaten to cut his hair next time, and I think you'll find he'll be a bit more careful.

The Tooth Fairy
-30th October 2005, 22:21
Did anyone get scorched by one of Piston Brokes wet willies at the weekend? I heard Stevo gives a good wet willy as well.

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 22:52
Originally posted by The Tooth Fairy
Did anyone get scorched by one of Piston Brokes wet willies at the weekend? I heard Stevo gives a good wet willy as well. I hope to God they didn't....

nessyfencer
-31st October 2005, 09:34
Originally posted by The Tooth Fairy
Did anyone get scorched by one of Piston Brokes wet willies at the weekend? I heard Stevo gives a good wet willy as well.

Oh dear... feeling glad I wasn't there if that's what was going on!!!

Piston Broke
-31st October 2005, 10:12
Ah I know who you are Aer but I must keep my identity a secret.

Tis true I was giving people a taste of my wet willy. As for stevo's wet willy I myself have sampled it on the journey back from essex open one year and I can safely tell you it's a damn fine wet willy.

Piston Broke
-31st October 2005, 10:14
I have to say the the highlight of the weekend was a foilist accusing Jamez Loggie who was presiding of being biased against him, only for stevo to tell him to stop being gay and get on with it.

nessyfencer
-31st October 2005, 10:32
only for stevo to tell him to stop being gay and get on with it.

Nicely put!

Piston Broke
-31st October 2005, 10:53
I would just like to add that Jamez was completely correct and that the guy didn't know what he was talking about.

Gav
-31st October 2005, 12:03
Maybe I spoke to soon about missing student banter ...

I'm planning on studying English and, because it's the OU, there will be little access to ladies. :(

Although brewing or "ladies studies" sounds a hoot - which campus do you study that; Piston?

So Hairy Scary Dave went around chucking coffee all over the place! Now there's a man who knows how to make himself populat. So he's still hanging around with the students hopipng that they will help him feel young then ...

Bambi
-31st October 2005, 12:22
Was a great weekend, can't complain really apart from my teams school boy error in epee against QMU.

I think everyone heard about that by sat night but i dont care Aberdeen made first division!!!

I'm so happy, been waiting 3 years for it, just glad im doing a 5 year course and get a chance to do the big boys league!

nessyfencer
-31st October 2005, 12:30
Originally posted by Gav

Although brewing or "ladies studies" sounds a hoot - which campus do you study that; Piston?

I remember a fencer who went to study Brewing quite a few year back now. Don't think that he still fences though.

Aer
-31st October 2005, 12:32
Originally posted by Gav

So Hairy Scary Dave went around chucking coffee all over the place! Now there's a man who knows how to make himself populat. So he's still hanging around with the students hopipng that they will help him feel young then ...

he kicked some bags away. not as if he was spilling trays of the stuff. but the coffee has come out of my jacket afetr one wash so im happier now.

Piston Broke
-31st October 2005, 17:12
That would be Piston University,

I believe that the legend that is Mike Bracewell studied brewing at Heriot Watt.

So what you like about Dave but that man know's how to make an enterance and leave a lasting impression.

I believe you spoke to me at the weekend Aer.

Aer
-31st October 2005, 17:16

I believe you spoke to me at the weekend Aer.

yeah, i know, but i get people mixed up :(

Piston Broke
-31st October 2005, 18:11
Oh dear

Aer
-31st October 2005, 23:25
all ok now, got you placed. Jamez helped :p

Piston Broke
-1st November 2005, 08:52
Indeed I'm sure he did.

MakeTradeFair
-1st November 2005, 12:54
Mr. Broke - I believe your monkeying around at the qualifiers really "lowered the tone" of what was otherwise a very high standard and competitve student fencing showcase (;) ).

Piston Broke
-1st November 2005, 14:36
Well you know me MTF, I have been accused of lowering the tone of many a fencing event. The fencing was only suck a high standard because I was there in the first place!

Piston Broke
-1st November 2005, 15:35
Oh and a really good sabruer with Clarke GBR on his back but I didn't know who he was.

pqg
-1st November 2005, 21:15
Originally posted by Gav

This is the first I've heard about the coffee incident, I was definitely unaware of having knocked any over - why didn't you say something on the day Aer? I do remember moving some bags when presiding but would point out that:
a) They were a couple of feet beyond the black line I had earlier warned StAndrews to keep all their kit behind and
b) If I hadn't moved them they would have been kicked and/or fallen on by the fencer who stepped off the back of the piste 30 seconds later anyway.

And no Gav, I'm afraid hanging around with students nowadays only makes me feel old(er); I was there mainly because I was asked to help out by the SASF President.

D'Artignan
-1st November 2005, 21:17
So it was nothing to do with "admiring" young women then?

Gav
-1st November 2005, 21:35
I'm going to have to call you Hairy Scary Humourless Dave from now on.

D'Artignan
-1st November 2005, 21:38
Isn't that a bit of a mouthful? Wouldn't something like, oooohhh, Dave roll off the tongue a bit easier?;)

Aer
-1st November 2005, 21:44
Originally posted by pqg
This is the first I've heard about the coffee incident, I was definitely unaware of having knocked any over - why didn't you say something on the day Aer?

Er... I am new to sabre and you were giving me hits i was about to acknowledge as together/against me. didnt want to risk changing that mood :) that and i thought it may have been QMU guys at first (as my bag was behind the far piste).

ah well, no harm done.

I lost a bag with a towel and a washbag at the venue - it may be in the lost property? has anything been given in?

Piston Broke
-2nd November 2005, 10:12
I wish to withdraw my statement naming Hairy Dave as the culprit for spilling coffee. It was in fact another Hairy Dave who spilled the coffee. I apologise for any confusion or offence my remark caused.

myopic
-2nd November 2005, 19:34
At imputations he is hairy no response.

At imputations he is scary no response.

At hints he is overwieght a mere raised eyebrow.

But say he spilled coffee and you are playing with fire . . .

You cheeky young scamps.

D'Artignan
-2nd November 2005, 21:44
Originally posted by myopic
You cheeky young scamps. You including me in that? I'm pretty sure I have, err, more vintage than you :rolleyes:

Piston Broke
-3rd November 2005, 08:43
Tis true I'am a cheeky young scamp barely out of short trousers.

myopic
-3rd November 2005, 19:21
As a teacher I am used to thinking of everyone as younger than me.

D'Artignan
-3rd November 2005, 21:53
Changing the subject, did mr Clarke try to do any match-making during the comp, only to deny it later. I've heard he's getting quite good at that......:o:

Piston Broke
-4th November 2005, 08:14
Ah Mr Clarke he's like scottish student fencings very own Cilla Black. He tried to set me up with a young lady D'Artignan.

nessyfencer
-4th November 2005, 11:47
a young lady D'Artignan.

And I thought that the rumours weren't true ;)

D'Artignan
-4th November 2005, 15:12
Well, it was the weekend:glamour:

Piston Broke
-4th November 2005, 19:55
Coffee, wet willies and ladyboys only in scottish tudent fencing eh?

D'Artignan
-4th November 2005, 19:57
Coffee, wet willies and ladyboys only in scottish tudent fencing eh? Nah, most of 'em will probably be at BUSA as well

Piston Broke
-4th November 2005, 20:56
I apologise if I have offended any ladyboys on the forum with my comments.

Actually how would ladyboys work in fencing? As they're neither one or the other which category would they fence in?

The Tooth Fairy
-4th November 2005, 23:21
I fear Mr Clarke could not function as Cilla Black without his very own Graeme. I think you would do the job Piston... can we hear your roundup of the girls present at the weekend?

The Tooth Fairy
-4th November 2005, 23:21
I fear Mr Clarke could not function as Cilla Black without his very own Graeme. I think you would do a great job Piston... so can we hear your roundup of the girls present at the weekend?

nessyfencer
-5th November 2005, 01:50
I apologise if I have offended any ladyboys on the forum with my comments.

Actually how would ladyboys work in fencing? As they're neither one or the other which category would they fence in?

I feel that a biology lesson is in need here ;)

Piston Broke
-5th November 2005, 16:46
Yeh but how are you going to check for the old meat and two veg when the ladies sabre checks in?

Piston Broke
-5th November 2005, 16:48
In response to tooth fairy, I'm afraid I'm neither ginger nor scouse, a tragic combination if ever there was one.

Why the ladies present were your good self and two happy hippos!

D'Artignan
-5th November 2005, 22:48
Yeh but how are you going to check for the old meat and two veg when the ladies sabre checks in? With your tongue?

Piston Broke
-7th November 2005, 15:45
Perhaps you'd like to volunteer D'Artingan?

D'Artignan
-7th November 2005, 15:48
Depends who the test subjects are...

Piston Broke
-7th November 2005, 19:30
Indeed, there a few little birds I wouldn't mind praying on. But what if you detected a ladyboy?

D'Artignan
-7th November 2005, 20:05
Err, refer them to you for a second opinion. Swiftly followed by decapitation.:shrug:

bucket
-8th November 2005, 11:17

oooh getting compared to Steve "Lumpy" Rennie. Nice.

I, "Pistol Pete" (prefer Bucket) won't be there as not a Studenty person anymore.

Hope Dundee Uni win for a change.