PDA

View Full Version : obstacle course

Marcos
-28th October 2005, 14:30
a friend of mine who does Taekwondo was telling me that for kids aged under 12, rather than having traditional tournaments that measure individual ability to win they often set-up an obstacle course...

...say run, punch a bag, then run, punch a guy in front then behind, run and finish kicking another punch bag

sounds great fun!

anyway, thinking that you could take the same theory and apply to fencing

safety obviously the first concern, but any ideas how you could transfer the idea to our sport?

D'Artignan
-28th October 2005, 14:35
Get effigies of our great esteemed and really well loved dictator, sorry, leader and attach them to a punchbag or something. Get them to beat the crap out of it for a few minutes and see who gets the most hits (easier for the eep methinks). I know I'd pay money for the privilege.....(especially if it wasn't just a cut-out)

Touché Turtle
-29th October 2005, 10:03
This is how all school sports are turning out... so no one loses and everyone wins. Poor little mites mustn't end up disappointed about not winning - it might give them character to deal with real life when they're older!!! :o:
Seriously though, isn't fencing all about winning and losing? After all it is actually a fight. I realise it is important to make sure kids enjoy their fencing (and all other sports), maybe by adding fun games too, but not by replacing "traditional tournaments that measure individual ability to win".

Keith.A.Smith
-30th October 2005, 17:43
I am sure I am not the leader you want to bash in. If I am it will be a high price per thump!!!

Keith

ChubbyHubby
-30th October 2005, 17:47
Originally posted by Keith.A.Smith
I am sure I am not the leader you want to bash in. If I am it will be a high price per thump!!!

Keith

I'm sure D'Art meant the mad dictator in the brown suit that graces every other photo in the FIE magazine....

Rdb811
-30th October 2005, 19:16
Originally posted by ChubbyHubby
I'm sure D'Art meant the mad dictator in the brown suit that graces every other photo in the FIE magazine....

I thought he meant Tony Blair, or am I just too political ?

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 20:54
I'm sure D'Art meant the mad dictator in the brown suit that graces every other photo in the FIE magazine.... I wouldn't like to comment, I've heard that laywers are monitoring....

hokers
-30th October 2005, 20:59

What about Track Suit Man?!

Now that's democracy in action, let's have a vote..

D'Artignan
-30th October 2005, 23:41
Originally posted by Keith.A.Smith

Keith I suppose I'd better make myself clearer (in case Mr Smith works out my real name ), I meant someone who was born in France and now has offices in Switzerland, but beyond that, I ain't saying a word.:eek:

Winwaloe
-2nd November 2005, 11:21
Originally posted by D'Artignan
I suppose I'd better make myself clearer (in case Mr Smith works out my real name ), I meant someone who was born in France and now has offices in Switzerland, but beyond that, I ain't saying a word.:eek:

Such a shame you didn't mean tracksuit man!

Winwaloe
-2nd November 2005, 11:30
Originally posted by Marcos
a friend of mine who does Taekwondo was telling me that for kids aged under 12, rather than having traditional tournaments that measure individual ability to win they often set-up an obstacle course...

...say run, punch a bag, then run, punch a guy in front then behind, run and finish kicking another punch bag

sounds great fun!

anyway, thinking that you could take the same theory and apply to fencing

safety obviously the first concern, but any ideas how you could transfer the idea to our sport?

I fenced for years, gave up and then came back and started coaching under two very good mentors, one of whom I still have. In teh fencing break I took up Tae KwonDo (retired due to injury about 6 weeks before I was due to take my second Dan grade). I was fortunate enough to be able to have two World class instructors one of whom appointed me as an assistant instructor (also passed my ref qual and refing martial arts really does have a sunbective element). I coached mainly youngsters and there was a lot of circuit type training involved. It helped from a fitness angle and, as all circuit tasks were TKD specific, it was also very beneficial from a technique point of view. It certainly is possible to trnasfer the idea into fencing using lunge pads, coaches, benches and other apparatus. I think the importatn thing is to decide if you want it as pure circuit training for fitness or whether you want it fencing specific. The latter option, when properly supervised (and this is important) should assist both overall fitness levels and technique.

madfencer
-25th November 2005, 08:50
this sounds deadly! ...good good :grin: