PDA

View Full Version : live chat

Psymon
-21st April 2003, 12:44
Probably really difficult to do, but i think that when the forum really takes off, (and judging by the last few days i think that it is gonna) I think that some sort of live chat room would be really good for all the people who are currently logged in. what does everybody else think, or is it to difficult to implement.

Jambo
-21st April 2003, 12:54
A good thought, but it might kill off the postings.

Psymon
-21st April 2003, 13:03
not so sure it would kill off the postings, As most people who start a thread do so to get the opinions of as many ppl as possible. Sure new topics could be started in live chat and then posted for all to see and comment on.

Mischa
-21st April 2003, 13:11
Why don't you run an IRC channel?

Psymon
-21st April 2003, 13:23
Not really my field of expertise, however i belive Neo already runs a whole IRC network Perhaps he could be asked
I dunno i just thought it was a good idea perhaps i was wrong who knows ? that is what this is all about tho isn't it other ppls opinions so keep em comin folks

kingkenny
-21st April 2003, 18:25
Live chat would be great but we are new to forums so will have to wait and see how it goes over thw next few months.

I would be really interested to hear from anyone with experience of live chat....

twohappyhippos
-22nd April 2003, 17:54
whats an IRC?

Jambo
-22nd April 2003, 18:03
Internet Relay Channel, I think. I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm making that up!

Mischa
-22nd April 2003, 18:32
Internet Relay Chat

http://www.mirc.com/irc.html has more info

It's a global chat network, basically. Millions of people use it.

Moose
-10th May 2003, 15:49
Been around since before the web :)

Mantis
-10th May 2003, 19:46
Hate to be the one to put a damper on things, but it has been tried before and didn't seem to take off. Search through the rec.sport.fencing newsgroup archives (at groups.google.co.uk/groups?group=rec.sport.fencing, for example) for "irc" and see. Last reference I can find was back in 1999.

Anyway, if someone feels like trying again, go ahead.

Bye,

Joe

Neo
-21st May 2003, 01:11
I mentioned it to Ben before, I run an irc network and would be happy to help setup a java applet and channel for the site. I think the amount of traffic now would be sufficient to at least have some users in the channel at a time. I think it would also perhaps help if perhaps clubs linked via their site or that?

it's very easy to do. As a sidenote, if anyone wants to check about fencing in irc, I'm always there, and I'd defo like to see at least a discussion on fencing, if not a dedicated channel

Neo
-21st May 2003, 01:14
Originally posted by Mischa
Internet Relay Chat

http://www.mirc.com/irc.html has more info

It's a global chat network, basically. Millions of people use it.

That's not quite correct, it's a *collection* of global networks, if you look in the mirc server list you'll find hundreds of networks there alone. There are perhaps thousands of networks, some have 10 users, right up the biggest which has around 190,000 I think, However the bigger the network, the more problems associated with it. The very biggest networks have problems qith trojan spreading/ddos attacks etc, which the smaller networks do not.

Moose
-21st May 2003, 01:23
Pimping for business are we Neo :blaaaa:

Neo
-21st May 2003, 01:27
nah, irc chat makes me no money, all staff etc are voluntary. My business ( http://www.firstinternetservices.com ) on the other hand... :grin:

Moose
-21st May 2003, 01:32
Pimping for users then, paying or otherwise :grin:

Neo
-21st May 2003, 01:41
kind of I suppose :tongue:

I'd really like to see a fencing chat (for once someone will have a clue what the hell I'm talking about) You can make the room appear like it's the only one there tho, that's easy to do