PDA

View Full Version : bags and planes

Muso440
-14th July 2003, 21:44
I'm going to be going abroad for a few weeks at the end of August, and am planning to find a club near where I'm staying. I'm toying with the idea of taking my foil with me: seeing as i haven't bought a bag yet, does anyone have any opinions on which bags are baggage-handler-proof, and whether any definitely aren't? (I'm presuming they're not about to let me put my foil in hand luggage here). It would be handy to know before I go and shell out any cash. Otherwise I'll just see if i can borrow stuff when I get there.

Marcos
-15th July 2003, 09:05
I've only flown short distance, but I've found it's not really the bag that is so important - I've travelled with full size fencing bags and just a wee foil bag, all plastered with "Fragile" stikers, and the results have always been OK.

Check your gear into oversize/fragile baggage, in the same way you would ski's, golf clubs, etc.

The baggage handlers will then take your stuff by hand onto the plane.

NOTE
when checking-in, say that you are checking-in "Sport equipment"

If you say swords, weopons, sabre, etc, you might find yourself being questioned by security as these are "trigger" words that set-off cumpulsory security measures.

rory
-15th July 2003, 09:22
Tip: get to B&Q and buy some plastic piping (about 15mm diam.). Cut it to the length of your blades and slip them into the lengths prior to travel. It helps prevent the tips being crushed and adds stiffness so they don't get too bent.
Pad your mask out with stuff so it doesn't get crushed.

Despite al lthis you may have issues: I lent a rollbag to a friend (who'd had his nicked) and he flew to the Madrid A-Grade. My rollbag full of his kit fell off the baggage truck and was run over by the rear wheels, crushing his mask and the wheel assembly irreparably.
I'm actually still using the bag, but it doesn't roll too great!
(On this basis I can recommend PBT rollbags quite highly - they're TOUGH.)

pinkelephant
-15th July 2003, 10:23
Wrap a towel round the guard for padding - they get distorted by squashing far too easily, especially the light weight ones. I always keep my mask in my hand luggage - much less risk of damage. In fact, if going to a competition I keep everything except the weapons in my hand luggage, and my "normal" clothes in my kit bag - if the bag goes astray it's much easier to replace just weapons in an emergency, or even to borrow them, than a full uniform.

Muso440
-15th July 2003, 18:09
Thanks for the handy tips guys - very useful :) :)

Will definitely take note.

Muso440
-20th July 2003, 10:39
Just had a new thought on this one: some airports (including the one I'm flying back from) now make you scan *all* your luggage before you even get to the check-in desk. I can therefore envisage a situation in which the security person sees a bag of sword-like implements going through their machine and promptly making a big fuss. Has anyone experienced this pre-check-in scanning of their kit ever? Did it create problems?

Am beginning to think I should phone the airport or airline and check it out... :confused:

reposte
-20th July 2003, 10:52
Have you tried pre flight check in?

randomsabreur
-20th July 2003, 13:01
In my experience, including flying to Germany two days after 9-11, there is no major problem with fencing kit because it goes in the hold and so cannot cause a problem in flight. Pretty well all of the airports I have flown though look interestedly at the kit and then recognise it as fencing kit. It does help if you know the word for fencing in the local language tho'

neochrome
-20th July 2003, 13:03
Can't you do the same as skiing equipment and go to the special luggage section - they scan your things then take it away through a special door to be stored secure.

3 Card Trick
-20th July 2003, 13:30
Originally posted by neochrome
Can't you do the same as skiing equipment and go to the special luggage section - they scan your things then take it away through a special door to be stored secure.

Yes.

pinkelephant
-20th July 2003, 15:31
At Manchester they just say "Oh, you're a fencer". Boring!

Muso440
-20th July 2003, 15:42
Originally posted by reposte
Have you tried pre flight check in?

Non comprendo, sorry.

Muso440
-20th July 2003, 15:45
Originally posted by neochrome

Getting confused now. :confused:

Wouldn't you have to check yourself in, and your regular luggage, first? Before they wave you along to the special section? In which case that doesn't help.

Shows how often I fly, here....

3 Card Trick
-20th July 2003, 16:36
O.K. it is called "oversize luggage". You check in as normal but they send you to another baggage point after you are personally booked in to deal with your luggage.

Muso440
-20th July 2003, 18:26
Originally posted by 3 Card Trick
O.K. it is called "oversize luggage". You check in as normal but they send you to another baggage point after you are personally booked in to deal with your luggage.

Okay, but the issue is that at the airport I'm flying back from, they make you (or your luggage anyway) go through a security x-ray machine thingy even before you get to the check-in desk. Ie. not long after you have actually entered the terminal building.

What I could envisage is some wanky undertrained security person making a big fuss and sending me away before I've even *got* to the check in desk....

reposte
-20th July 2003, 20:38
Only Americans would make a fuss. You basically can carry anything so long as it's in your checked in luggage.