2) Elaine Hughes
3) Tracy Mckenzie

WE:
1) Jayne Crook

WS:
1) Chrystall Nicoll

Maxim
-2nd December 2005, 14:02
Mens foil looks impressive, but then again you can have a situation similar to last years when most of the good people ended up on the same side of the DE.

hokers
-2nd December 2005, 14:05
I'll go for Phil S-F or Jacob to make the L8 in MS.

silvercross
-2nd December 2005, 14:27
I agree with Maxim,

Let there be pandemonium! I prefer to see the predictable crumble to the ground (well, not always, specially when I fence and predict myself to win, but hey, it's nice to see the up-and-comers upseting some people every now and again).

Tom P
-2nd December 2005, 16:05
I think that Jules will probably get better than third in MS - but I suppose I would think that, given that we train in the same place :grin:

gbm
-3rd December 2005, 09:20
I plan to win all three weapons :grin:
Well, I can try! ;)

silvercross
-3rd December 2005, 10:00
Atta Boy! :)

That's the spirit!

I'd say the same, only we didn't have enough spaces for Men's Foil :(

But I'll make sure I do a great job at Sabre, a weapon I touch only to chase around newbies with...:tongue:

Predictions are a lot of fun (just spent 30 mins doing the rankings for MS. Hmmm, multiplier of 29 if it counted....not bad), but based on current rankings they never take into consideration things such as:

-Visiting foreign fencers, who may be so-so at their weapon in their home country, yet for some odd reason seem to bash people senseless here :(

-Fencers who have been out of fencing for a while, for x or y motive, and thus appear very low or not at all in the rankings (I know at least two who should make Mens Sabre interesting...) :tongue:

-Fencers who just can't afford to do as many opens and thus don't get the ranking points...and most importantly...

-The amount of alcohol consumed the night before as packs of fencers crowd the Nottingham City Centre in search for a watering hole in which to drink merrily and dance until 3:00am! :grin:

GO UNI FENCERS!!!!! :transport

Swifty
-3rd December 2005, 14:13
Originally posted by silvercross
GO UNI FENCERS!!!!! :transport

Come on Silvercross, its

GO LIVERPOOL UNI!! :)

Where am I in the predictions? :( I'm gonna win Mens Foil :tongue:

Well, I'll try.

Swifty
-3rd December 2005, 14:19
Will there be an equipment stand?
If so, who will it be Leon Paul?

Maxim
-3rd December 2005, 14:36
I am pretty sure there will be a Leon Paul stand (there was for the past 3 years).

silvercross
-5th December 2005, 09:46
You have to get past Kev, swifty! :tongue: (I'd say me, but heck, not fencing with the ol' poncy stick, so I guess I'll have to just stand around looking all serious and assessing the state of the uni fencers...:tongue: )

And yes, good of you to point it out.... GO LIVERPOOL UNI!!! :grin:

Flip
-9th December 2005, 20:14
I go with Jenna Ashton to win the women's sabre...
(ignore the time and date of this post...I'm psychic I tell you!)

silvercross
-9th December 2005, 22:22
Ouch! :(

Pain! :(

Finally got back home... not bad for the first day, but everything hurts...

This 'Mature Student' thing is getting to me...
:tongue:

Boo Boo
-9th December 2005, 22:33
Finally got back home... not bad for the first day, but everything hurts...

Ok, we understand your pain, but who won today... :)

kv.
-10th December 2005, 12:32
1 ASHTON Jenna Durham
2 COLLIER Ellie Sheffield
3 HUGHES Elaine Bath
3 WADDINGTON Christie Newcastle
5 STROWE Anna Warwick
6 BELL Lindsey Bristol
7 FLINT Hannah Newcastle
8 WEBSTER Jo Southampton

Boo Boo
-10th December 2005, 13:14
Thank you :)

Well done Elaine and Lindsey - great news :)

TBennett
-10th December 2005, 17:43
Mens Epee:

1st - Tom Bennett
2nd - Jon Bradley
3rd = Tristan Lane
3rd = Filippo Vincentelli

Nick Perry and Steve Miller went out in L8

Sorry your crystal ball was slightly cloudy Rory......;)

Lenny
-10th December 2005, 20:47
wahey! result! well done Tom and Nick. I'm on tomorrow, don't think i'll do quite as well... first comp in rather a long time...

Boo Boo
-10th December 2005, 23:51
Well done Tom and Tristan - wow that is a difficult ME...

Any results from WE?

Boo

doobarz
-11th December 2005, 10:00
WE was won by Jayne Crook. So a point to Rory....

Swifty
-11th December 2005, 15:35
Originally posted by Swifty
Where am I in the predictions? :( I'm gonna win Mens Foil :tongue:

I didn't win:(

It was great fun! I was knocked out in the L64 by the 9th seed? I think.

Sorry I don't know who won, but I would like to know.
I couldn't believe it, but they where doing weapon control in the pooles and had some refs with proper yellow and red cards.:eek:

fencingmaster
-11th December 2005, 17:14
I couldn't believe it, but they where doing weapon control in the pooles and had some refs with proper yellow and red cards

Beyond belief!!!

Where are/will the results be posted?

Boo Boo
-11th December 2005, 17:35
Originally posted by Swifty
I couldn't believe it, but they where doing weapon control in the pooles and had some refs with proper yellow and red cards.:eek:

Yes, BUSA take weapons control more seriously than the Senior British Nationals... still, some may say that "the Senior British Nationals should take weapons control as seriously as BUSA" ;)

doobarz
-11th December 2005, 18:01
Originally posted by fencingmaster

Where are/will the results be posted?

Usually appear on the BFA site in due course.

WF

1st Clare Bennett
2nd Jayne Crook
3rd = Elaine Hughes & ?

Not sure about MS

UglyBug
-11th December 2005, 19:41
Other 3rd placed foilist was Tracey MacKenzie

MS

1) Harry Moncrieff
2) Jules Nelis
3) Kit Rumney
3) Hutch
5) Ricky Brenda
6) Jacob Collingham
7) Peter Rome
8) Chris Markall

Lucan
-11th December 2005, 19:47
Kool

UglyBug
-11th December 2005, 19:55
I refereed Harry from his L16 to the semi (yes - I was one of the refs with "real" cards...) and he was on excellent form. Thoroughly well-deserved victory.

Lenny
-11th December 2005, 19:57
For my first year doing busa i thoroughly enjoyed it, came a respectable 9th :grin:

hokers
-11th December 2005, 21:16
Originally posted by hokers
I'll go for Phil S-F or Jacob to make the L8 in MS.

A point for me as well. Wonder what happened to Phil?

3 Card Trick
-11th December 2005, 21:20
"& ?" That would be Tracy McKenzie

UglyBug
-11th December 2005, 21:24
Originally posted by hokers
A point for me as well. Wonder what happened to Phil?

Peter Rome happened to Phil S-F

3 Card Trick
-11th December 2005, 21:25
As to the scary referees there were several current FIE referees on site, Bowers, Hunter, Moore, Sach, Thornton, Wesley. But then BUSA are most affable and generous hosts, some Opens would do well to take a leaf from their book on "How to Look after a Bunch of Itinerant Referees".

UglyBug
-11th December 2005, 21:42
Can I just point out that I am not scary? I was really nice all weekend. Mostly.

Phil_Abel
-11th December 2005, 21:46
Nice to see Bradley getting a good high finish in the Men's Epee.

He's the first person I fenced when I started training with Manchester Uni, dead good he is.

gbm
-12th December 2005, 09:27
Urrgh.

ME, pretty naff, 1 victory in the poules.
Friday evening, there was much drunkenness of my teammates (not me, I was driver) at the Union 'Ark' bar. This included the drinking of a pint of mostly water that had been poured into a (mostly empty) ashtray and back by the lone Exeter fencer, after a lengthy bidding process, for 75p... I have video evidence! (scary). I then had to return the aforementioned fencer to his home, only he could not remember where that was... :rolleyes:
One stop at a kebab shop for nearly raw burgers, and arrive back at about 2:40. Wake up at 7:30 for MF.
At least I wasn't hungover! :tongue: :grin: :rolleyes:
Won two fights, lost two 5-4 ( :mad: ). Seeded 64th (I believe), beat the 65th seed, fenced (I think) top seed Pigeonmeister. Then fenced really really well to get 9 points on him, so was very happy with that (PS nice guy).
MS, in the poules won 2 fights, lost another 5-4, got destroyed by Hutchinson 5-0 (not exactly unexpected :tongue: ). Seeded 54th, then lost to 75th seed out of 79 - I need more practice yet!
£54.50 of entry fees later, went home. :cool:

edwin
-12th December 2005, 10:19
I cannot deny anything that GBM has put except that drunken macho pride had a lot to do with it.

Thank you very much to GBM for getting me back safely and thank you to all the Cardiff guys for a great night out.

JEH

UglyBug
-12th December 2005, 10:22
Originally posted by UglyBug
Peter Rome happened to Phil S-F

In the L16

Russell1985
-12th December 2005, 16:22
Originally posted by gbm
Urrgh.

Friday evening, there was much drunkenness of my teammates (not me, I was driver) at the Union 'Ark' bar.... At least I wasn't hungover! :tongue: :grin: :rolleyes:

Saturday morning was just a whole world of pain. JEH ur a complete leg end for drinkin that (for want of a better word) water. Pity u couldnt make the foil dood. Great weekend despite somewhat naff fencing on my part (13-3 down to Kev - damn sneaky left handers :tongue: )

Hope to c every1 again next yr :rambo:

gbm
-12th December 2005, 16:56
Here is the offending pint BTW:

http://www.arba44.dsl.pipex.com/offendingpint.jpg

And here's a closeup:

http://www.arba44.dsl.pipex.com/closeup.jpg

randomsabreur
-12th December 2005, 17:09
Gbm is officially the least anonymous person on the forum. We can all recognise him from across the room! I was reffing on the piste next to the one you were on (on the foil day) I believe.

I think that bambi was also noticed from across the cafe.

Incidentally, why, given advance warning of the imminent arrival of a large number of (frequently hungover) fencers, did the cafe not stock up on burgers. They had run out by about 2pm on the Saturday!

Gangsta G
-12th December 2005, 17:11
Peter Rome happened to Phil S-F That sounds so wrong!

randomsabreur
-12th December 2005, 17:13
Apparently P S-F was rather concerned about fencing Peter Rome "he's the one who taught me all my tricks"

Bummer when you end up fencing your coach!

D'Artignan
-12th December 2005, 17:18
What the hell was that pink thing at the top of that pint? looks like the disembodied brain of a baby bird

silvercross
-12th December 2005, 18:20
It looked more like a dead and semi boiled tadpole from what I could see.

I missed the whole 'fencer drinking outings' :drinkbott

That was the best part of last year, drinking at the Irish 'till the wee hours... of course, you could tell who was taking the competition seriously, and who was just having a laugh :mexwave:
I bumped into a bunch of guys hoding coca-colas in hand and not drinking the whole night, while the group that I went in with was running and dancing left and right.

Ah, well. I had my b-day to celebrate, so I did that instead.

Learned on Sunday that no matter how hard you try, a Small Sabre Mask will not fit a head two sizes too big for it... :pirate:

D'Artignan
-12th December 2005, 18:27
Learned on Sunday that no matter how hard you try, a Small Sabre Mask will not fit a head two sizes too big for it... :pirate: An important lesson for us all, I feel :tongue:

silvercross
-12th December 2005, 18:33
One of our clubmates also learned an invaluable one:

Parrying a sabre blade by jumping and catching it between your legs may be painful :eek: (if not wearing adequate protection), but it will guarantee one light for you! :sabre2:

D'Artignan
-12th December 2005, 18:39

Parrying a sabre blade by jumping and catching it between your legs may be painful :eek: (if not wearing adequate protection), but it will guarantee one light for you! :sabre2: Instant circumcision as well? :dizzy:

UglyBug
-12th December 2005, 20:07

Parrying a sabre blade by jumping and catching it between your legs may be painful :eek: (if not wearing adequate protection), but it will guarantee one light for you! :sabre2:

Not if your breeches are sweaty, it won't.

Anyway, why would you ever want to do that in the first place?

silvercross
-13th December 2005, 12:01
Our clubmate is renowned for jumping up and flicking people (quite accurately and painlessly) in a move we've dubbed 'the starfish'. Sadly, this transfers to Sabre with more dire consequences... :tongue:
Still, skewering asides, it did look darn purty! :grin:

UglyBug
-14th December 2005, 13:09
Will probably regret asking this, but normally at this time of year there is lots of whingeing on the forum about the standard of refereeing at BUSA. We made an effort to improve it this year. What did people generally think?

madfencer
-14th December 2005, 13:37
We made an effort to improve it this year. What did people generally think?

wouldn't know I didn't go to any! :tongue:

Boo Boo
-14th December 2005, 13:56
Will probably regret asking this, but normally at this time of year there is lots of whingeing on the forum about the standard of refereeing at BUSA. We made an effort to improve it this year. What did people generally think?

I heard something about a foil referee (in the late stages of WF) who had a "white stick and a labrador"... :o:

But that is second hand information (don't know who that referee actually was) - was surprised that a rather poor referee was used for the later stages...

Boo

UglyBug
-14th December 2005, 14:01
I have been given feedback on that already, but am obviously not going to comment on that on the forum

Boo Boo
-14th December 2005, 14:23
I have been given feedback on that already, but am obviously not going to comment on that on the forum

No fine - if you are aware of it, then that is great :)

I know that you had some good referees there, so was surprised that some of the later stages of WF were refereed by someone who seemed to be out of their depth...

Boo

pigeonmeister
-14th December 2005, 14:58
I came 2nd woo hoo!
Got ass comprehensively kicked in final by Mr Halsted but.....
I came 2nd woo hoo!

Did get a nice draw though:grin:

Anybody got any full results for MS?

Boo Boo
-14th December 2005, 15:02
Originally posted by pigeonmeister
I came 2nd woo hoo!
Got ass comprehensively kicked in final by Mr Halsted but.....
I came 2nd woo hoo!

Did get a nice draw though:grin:

Don't think Pigeonmeister is whining about the refereeing somehow... :tongue:

Well done Pigeonmeister :)

Lenny
-14th December 2005, 15:15

Well I had the same ref for my poule and one of my D.E. fights who was a qualified FIE ref (the significance of which he took every opportunity to impress upon us) and he did a good job,

...rantono apart from one WF bout in which one of the fencers covered her target whenever her opponent made an attack. Although she did receive some penalties for it, there were countless occasions where she blatantly covered her target and the ref must have either ignored it or was looking at the box. Maybe he was just being nice seeing as she was a beginner, as i guess she wouldn't have been on long if the full penalties had been imposed...rantono

But I was v happy and impressed that the organisers took all the time to get us good referees and ensure that the competition ran smoothly, shows that even though they may be one of the least favourite groups of people, but there are those out there who do care for students.

pigeonmeister
-14th December 2005, 15:27
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Don't think Pigeonmeister is whining about the refereeing somehow... :tongue:

Well done Pigeonmeister :)

Thank You! :)

Refing was fine for me!- had FIE refs from L16 and not one red card! Can't speak for WF though.

Only conplaint would be the fact that on Fridays ME I think we eventually finished the poules over 4 hours after supposed check in at 11.30.

One of the best venues though.

Now what to spend my £15 voucher on?!

Boo Boo
-14th December 2005, 15:37

£15 should get you a foil tip and a bag of grub screws ;)

(or just it just seem that those "little bits of fencing equipment" seem to be the most expensive substance, per ounce, on Earth??? :) )

Maxim
-14th December 2005, 15:45

LP socks and blade tape was my choice last year :grin:

As for refereeing - no complaints. Great organisation, shame my fencing did not match it.
Oh, was quite amusing to see yellow cards nearly given for passivity in the Alexander vs Schults at 13-11, which would have turned into a red for Cristoph.

pigeonmeister
-14th December 2005, 15:48
Might splash out on 90 springs and a couple of 'fencing is fun stickers'!

Boo Boo
-14th December 2005, 15:55
Might splash out on 90 springs and a couple of 'fencing is fun stickers'!

That's it, just fritter it away... :tongue:

What on earth would anyone do with 90 springs???

Dragonfly
-14th December 2005, 16:26
90 springs,hmm...
Superglue them onto the bottom of your trainers for an extra push forwards or backwards? Donate them to the Sussex Uni crew helping out the lone armourer ( the number of times people left things! ).

As far as the ref'ing went. I was doing epee so counting lights - yes the refs can count! Wasn't too happy with one of the WS fights, the ref gave out cards for aggression when the hit wasn't all that hard. Had it been a MS fight it would have been ignored. At least our club member was pulling the blows, which is more than can be said for her opposition... Our womens group got the cards for covering their lame in WF, but they were beginners, with all of 2 weeks experience, to some extent it can't be helped.

UglyBug
-14th December 2005, 16:33
Originally posted by Dragonfly
Wasn't too happy with one of the WS fights, the ref gave out cards for aggression when the hit wasn't all that hard. Had it been a MS fight it would have been ignored.

Can you prove that?!

Boo Boo
-14th December 2005, 16:39
A few months ago there was a warning, from Keith Smith, in the President's Newsletter about "hard hitting" (especially in WS for some reason - don't know why more than the other weapons) - maybe the referee was trying to clamp down on it?

Boo

3 Card Trick
-14th December 2005, 17:06
Re: Hardhitting. There had been an outbreak of it. Hence the reminder.

Keith.A.Smith
-14th December 2005, 17:15
Dear All,

I had recived written complaints about hard hitting in WS hence my reminder.

Keith

UglyBug
-14th December 2005, 17:21
My point to Dragonfly was that I wanted to know how she could prove that the hard hitting in the WS that received a card would have been ignored in the MS. (As I suspect it was probably me that awarded the card and I hand them out to both genders)

Swifty
-14th December 2005, 19:01
The refereeing was great, never had a FIE ref before. The comp was great and i'll be there again next year!

I just want to see the MF results, because I had to leave early to get back home and that took me 6 hours:eek:.

When will the results be out? Will they go up on the BFA or BUSA website first?

annacattiva
-14th December 2005, 21:07
I was quite happy with the reffing. Any way we can get some of those refs to show up for our regular matches? :)

Dragonfly
-15th December 2005, 09:43
My point to Dragonfly was that I wanted to know how she could prove that the hard hitting in the WS that received a card would have been ignored in the MS. (As I suspect it was probably me that awarded the card and I hand them out to both genders)

um.. how HE could prove...

and personally I can't. This is just my opinion and at the end of the day, a hard hit is just an opinion. The more of the blade you hit with, the louder the sound, the more likely it seemed that a card was given. In some cases though the hit was administered then there was a delayed reaction (a good 2 seconds ) before the opposition claimed that it hurt!!! Then the card was given for aggression, but as sabre isn't my weapon of choice, I can't gripe too much, I'm just saying what I saw.

UglyBug
-15th December 2005, 09:52
Sorry Mr D'Fly - thought you'd said you'd been fencing in the WS

Personally, I hand out hard hitting cards depending on what the action was - the ones I gave at BUSA were for people whose entire action came from the shoulder. If somebody is hit and whinges that it was hard, and I don't think it was, the whinger is in danger of receiving sanction for disturbing the order of the piste.

I also had to award one in the MF - to which the recipient said "But it wasn't on purpose" to which my reply was "Good job too, or the card I'm holding would be a very different colour"

All I'd say is that it is a good job that there is no sanction awarded for being hungover on the piste, or the MS would have been decimated on Sunday....

MakeTradeFair
-15th December 2005, 11:10
Can anyone quote the actual rule for hard hitting?:rambo:

Dragonfly
-15th December 2005, 11:18
I wasn't trying to offend when I gave my opinion on the reffing at BUSA, just my view of things. Now I know how aggression is noticed, I can tell the club mates, and they can improve. As I said, I fenced epee, and the reffing for that was fine - the refs can count!

UglyBug
-15th December 2005, 11:19
No offence taken at all

UglyBug
-15th December 2005, 11:22
Originally posted by MakeTradeFair
Can anyone quote the actual rule for hard hitting?:rambo:

Ask a stupid question...

t. 87
All bouts must preserve the character of a courteous and frank encounter. All irregular actions (flèche attack which finishes with a collision jostling the opponent, disorderly fencing, irregular movements on the piste, hits achieved with violence, hits made while falling) are strictly forbidden (cf. t.114–t.120). Should such an offence occur, any hit scored by the fencer at fault is annulled.

t. 120 then groups t.87 into group 1, so yellow card is awarded for first offence

MakeTradeFair
-15th December 2005, 11:52
i just asked because i remember someone going around some scottish open a couple of years back saying that hard hitting wasnt an offence unless it was done with intent - and ive never been bothered to find out anything else.

gbm
-15th December 2005, 12:04
I always find it funny when the cards start flying out for lack of plastron etc. :grin:
There really is no excuse...
Although I don't know why the referees didn't seem to start checking until the L16.
Since all my stuff works, is legal (at least until I hit someone with it), and I wear my plastron etc., I strongly support people checking. :tongue:

Generally reffing was all good.

Marcos
-15th December 2005, 12:13
All irregular actions (flèche attack which finishes with a collision jostling the opponent, disorderly fencing, irregular movements on the piste, hits achieved with violence,

i think every sabreur at some point has hit a bit too hard (even Ugly Bug!) - it is a lot better now than when sabre was steam - now that was a man's sport!

my own theory (and this is drifting from the subject of the thread) is that you get hard hitting, especially in WS, where relatively inexperienced sabreurs don;t understand why priority has been given after what they think is a simultaneous attack.

so both fencers start together and land together (is what they think)

what has actually happened is that one of them extended the arm / lunged sooner than the other, so the attack has been given

when they see this, they try to do the same move faster, and harder, thinking it will get them priority.

UglyBug
-15th December 2005, 12:18
Originally posted by MakeTradeFair
i just asked because i remember someone going around some scottish open a couple of years back saying that hard hitting wasnt an offence unless it was done with intent - and ive never been bothered to find out anything else.

If it is done with intent, that is deliberate brutality which is a straight black card. (t. 105)

Lucan
-15th December 2005, 12:23
B.U.S.A FENCING 2000 are up. on the BF website.

UglyBug
-15th December 2005, 12:24
Originally posted by Marcos
i think every sabreur at some point has hit a bit too hard (even Ugly Bug!) .

ESPECIALLY Ugly Bug - before anyone else makes the comment. I have been carded off my backside for it before

UglyBug
-15th December 2005, 12:25
But similarly, there have been occasions when my opponent has been carded for claiming I was hitting hard when I wasn't

UglyBug
-15th December 2005, 12:30
Originally posted by Rhoderick Moncreiff
B.U.S.A FENCING 2000 are up. on the BF website.

And I have seen some names on there who were fencing in the 2005 Champs as well. GET A JOB!!!

Marcos
-15th December 2005, 12:43
And I have seen some names on there who were fencing in the 2005 Champs as well. GET A JOB!!!

er...do your job instead of posting on here...?:grin:

(tho i have just seen that I have broken 1000 posts...so pot calling the kettle...)

Lucan
-15th December 2005, 12:47
From UglyBug

I was politely pointing out that the wrong results had been posted

UglyBug
-15th December 2005, 12:49
I know - I was just amused :)

Marcos - am suffering from lack of motivation today :) Can you tell?!

Nick_C
-15th December 2005, 13:42

Yeah that really confused me for a minute... seeing NLSC sabreur and moby on the list threw me a bit!! :confused:

Whisky Lover
-23rd December 2005, 21:58
Just to put the record straight, Plastrons were being checked from the first round, I saw a couple of referees checking in the poules.

nessyfencer
-24th December 2005, 00:25
Originally posted by Whisky Lover
Just to put the record straight, Plastrons were being checked from the first round, I saw a couple of referees checking in the poules.

Strange, but I have never ever been checked for wearing a plastron in comp.

colliebeast
-24th December 2005, 09:41
you've obviously never been reffed by Ian Hunter or Keith Bowers!!!

gbm
-31st December 2005, 19:08
I will be checking plastrons in my club as of January, at least for a while, now that the new BFA rules have (nearly) come into effect... and I will be 'suggesting' others do the same!