PDA

View Full Version : Fencing action in need of some finishing...

epee scherma
-29th December 2005, 03:36
Hello epee friends. Could you give me advice on finishing a fencing action? Against higher level fencers it results in a double or single (theirs) light. I know the action is made technically perfect, but its the final action that makes my timing behind my opponent. Fencer B will be my opponnet, I will be A. Here is the action:

Fencer A: Feint to top of arm
Fencer B: Circle 6, strong tight and fast
Fencer A: Disengage around the blade, arriving back in previous location, then immediate extension. He hits the upper chest or bicep area if he is relaxed enough.
Fencer B: Immediately after parry, he continues a direct riposte to my shoulder.

B's reaction is an immediate riposte even though he missed my blade. Either B is doing this because of muscle memory, or he sees i have decieved the blade and is thusly counterattacking. Either way it doesn't matter.

What matters is what I can do to refine this action to beat my opponents riposte or counterattack, whatever you'd like to call it. My decieve buys me the time to make a one light attack. Why is he ahead of me? Could you suggest a better finishing that is feasible? Anyone's advice is appreciated.

Oh yeah, my distance seems to be appropriate. I finish the one-tempo part of my action with a lunge of apropriate size.

Thank you!

pinkelephant
-29th December 2005, 12:35
Extend WHILE disengaging, not after the disengage has ended.

Epeecurean
-29th December 2005, 14:50
Hmmm... hard to say without actually seeing it but:

It could be that some aspect of your technique isn't "technically perfect", like your disengage is too big and slow, or like pink elephant says your extension might be too late, or that the distance and/or timing is wrong. However if not, then I'm guessing that he is beating you out on the timing because he is NOT doing a two-tempo parry-reposte but instead a one-tempo counter-attack with taking (but not finding your blade), something which you yourself suggested.

If that's the case then the logical thing would be to use counter-time: do your feint/false attack from a slightly longer distance to draw out his counter-attack, and then do a parry-reposte or taking of the blade.

It does sound like your action is being well-anticipated. Sometimes when you hit on a successful move you tend to overuse it and your opponent catches on. It's better to mix up your actions and set them up more carefully to keep the element of surprise.

If you just want to improve the finishing action of your feint attack, then I'd suggest making sure you close out the line to reduce the chances of his counter hitting. So if you are fencing righty-righty then finishing with your blade closing out the 4 line.

Cheers,
Epeecurean

fencingmaster
-30th December 2005, 11:38
"If it's working don't change it" but conversely "if it's not working then change it"

Your disengage/extension may need some refinement, with or without opposition, but as suggested by Epeecurean practise other strokes tactics, eg counter-time, feint and cede to prime, feint and disengage under with a duck. Also try disegangement with angulation to wrist instead of reaching for the upper arm.

good luck