PDA

View Full Version : Exeter University

oddball
-30th December 2005, 18:06
Hi all,

Anyone out there who is studying at Exeter, especially if you are doing History (V100) please - tell all! I've been offered a place and want to know all the stuff they don't put in the prospectus - anything at all about anything;

accomodation
the pros and cons
fencing scene
clubs
where to get all on the cheap

Thanks all

A la Perchoine

Jenny

madfencer
-10th January 2006, 10:10
Hi mate! 'fraid I don't go to Exeter (as you damn well know) but I just want to say congrats on getting a place at Exeter!

:mexwave:

what grades do you need?

well done anyway and welcome back to the forum...you haven't been on in a while you lazy so and so ;) lol. well I s'pose some people have a life (not me then) :rolleyes:

randomsabreur
-10th January 2006, 10:17
Had interview and offer, thought it was cool, but there is one enormous hill on the campus. Not sure where the history department is in relation to it, but certainly affected getting to law department/faculty...

oddball
-11th January 2006, 17:10
What's the campus like? I'm from Guernsey so going to uni is a bit of a jump size wise....

...I mean, Guernsey is 24 square miles in the middle of the sea.....

more info please...

Emma T
-11th January 2006, 17:49
I left Exeter uni at the end of last year and miss it tonnes. I had to leave cos they closed chem, and having been in a few interesting meetings I'd recommend anyone wanting to study a relatively pure science subject (especially more traditional ones) to think long and hard about it. But arts are very strong and have good departments.

Accomodation: There is a bit of rivalry between the halls but its not too serious, normally just a bit of ribbing. Duryard, the biggest hall is a bit scruffy and not great to look at, but it was great fun and the lawn in the middle of all the houses made it very social.

I would recommend catered in the first year because you don't have the problem of trying to cook in time to go out.

Holland and the really new halls are massively over subscribed, but in my opinion are full of extra luxuries that a student doesn't really need (heated towel rails?) and were built like that so that they could be used for conferences in the holidays.

Lafrowda is basic and a little bit cramped, but good for getting to know people as you're all in it together!

Campus is beautiful and you get used to the hill (there is a way round avoiding cardiac hill), it means you're really warmed up by the time you reach the sports hall!

Night life is apparently quite quiet but as I live in the middle of nowhere I found it quite busy. There are loads of pubs and about 5 clubs that students go to regularly. Its also a pretty safe place to walk around late at night which is always a bonus.

And if you want cheap.. Poundland! I wouldn't say that Exeter is an overly expensive place, cheap drinks found in the Ram and the Lemmy (Uni pub/nightclub) and the Imperial (Massive Spoons).

As for the fencing scene, Edwin is probably you're best bet as he's club captain. It seems to be a pretty standard uni club with a core membership. The woman's team came 2nd in Western Conference last year and is currently 2nd again this year. Standard vaires from year to year depending on who joins as with every uni club.

Wow, that was quite long! I'm happy to help with any other questions.

I know you will have a great time if you go there!

oddball
-12th January 2006, 10:49
Hey, thanks Emma T!!!!

Whats the sabre like?

Exgeordielass
-12th January 2006, 14:50
Originally posted by Emma T
I left Exeter uni at the end of last year and miss it tonnes. I had to leave cos they closed chem, and having been in a few interesting meetings I'd recommend anyone wanting to study a relatively pure science subject (especially more traditional ones) to think long and hard about it. But arts are very strong and have
good departments.

Am I right in thinking Emma that you advising against Exeter for Science subjects? I ask because it is on son's short list for universities and he wants to study Biology/Chemistry or a combination of the two.

He's also a sabreur so what the sabre is like is also relevant.

D'Artignan
-12th January 2006, 15:16
Originally posted by Exgeordielass
Am I right in thinking Emma that you advising against Exeter for Science subjects? I ask because it is on son's short list for universities and he wants to study Biology/Chemistry or a combination of the two.

He's also a sabreur so what the sabre is like is also relevant. Dundee is brilliant for Life Sciences...
Some good fencers at the Uni as well...

:grin:

J_D
-12th January 2006, 15:25

She meant that the Chemistry dept is closing, have a look at this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4105961.stm)

Emma T
-12th January 2006, 16:09

He's also a sabreur so what the sabre is like is also relevant.

They closed the chemistry department, although biomedicinal chemistry still runs. Officially biology is secure but it has been weakened by the closure (having to take on chemistry quotas and things like that). However, speaking to my friends who are currently studying biomedicinal chemistry things do sound better than we thought they would be-all staffing issues have been resolved and the department looks secure for the time being. I don't think the university can afford another high profile closure so nothing as bad as what happened last year should happen again for the forseeable future. However, I would really encourage your son to think about it and to bear it in mind when making decisions. However, I did have a great time when I was there and I wouldn't rule it out, just think about it carefully.

The official reason for the department closure was that the university got into a lot of debt very quickly and the people who sign the accounts refused to sign them and so they had to take emergency measures to save the university. The reason for the debt was never fully explained and I wouldn't wish to speculate in a public forum, but there are some very suspsicious facts.

Back to the Sabre fencing. Its not bad, the coach there Jan Lacey is a Sabreur by choice and so gives special attention to Sabreurs, and there are a couple of useful Sabreurs currently at the club who should still be there next year. Exeter is also only about half an hour on the train from Taunton where I believe there is a lot of sabre (Neil Brown coaches there?). Devon can be a bit quiet on the fencing scene, but it is there if you want to look for it and Bristol and Bath are not too far away.

I hope that answers some questions!

Emma

Emma T
-12th January 2006, 16:19
This is my favourite story about the department closing for amusements sake! It also has a picture of me (and lots of others) in it-how exciting!

Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4040777.stm)

Rdb811
-12th January 2006, 16:43

And if you want cheap.. Poundland! I wouldn't say that Exeter is an overly expensive place, cheap drinks found in the Ram and the Lemmy (Uni pub/nightclub) and the Imperial (Massive Spoons).

Including the Barbour and gren wellies that I believe are de rigeur for the typical student at Exeter University ?

Emma T
-12th January 2006, 16:52
:tongue:

I never saw any barbours, although there were a few green wellies about! However, they aren't compulsory and most people are normal and believe in wearing shoes...

Exgeordielass
-12th January 2006, 18:25
They closed the chemistry department, although biomedicinal chemistry still runs. Officially biology is secure but it has been weakened by the closure (having to take on chemistry quotas and things like that). However, speaking to my friends who are currently studying biomedicinal chemistry things do sound better than we thought they would be-all staffing issues have been resolved and the department looks secure for the time being. I don't think the university can afford another high profile closure so nothing as bad as what happened last year should happen again for the forseeable future. However, I would really encourage your son to think about it and to bear it in mind when making decisions. However, I did have a great time when I was there and I wouldn't rule it out, just think about it carefully.

The official reason for the department closure was that the university got into a lot of debt very quickly and the people who sign the accounts refused to sign them and so they had to take emergency measures to save the university. The reason for the debt was never fully explained and I wouldn't wish to speculate in a public forum, but there are some very suspsicious facts.

Back to the Sabre fencing. Its not bad, the coach there Jan Lacey is a Sabreur by choice and so gives special attention to Sabreurs, and there are a couple of useful Sabreurs currently at the club who should still be there next year. Exeter is also only about half an hour on the train from Taunton where I believe there is a lot of sabre (Neil Brown coaches there?). Devon can be a bit quiet on the fencing scene, but it is there if you want to look for it and Bristol and Bath are not too far away.

I hope that answers some questions!

Emma

Thanks Emma, yes it does. :grin: