PDA

View Full Version : clothing regs

Lee Spiers
-7th January 2006, 17:28
are socks compulsary for comps?? when using breeches?

freekster
-7th January 2006, 17:36
As far as I'm aware the legs must be covered below the breeches. If you're wearing socks they have to be pulled up and leave no skin exposed. I don't think there's a regulation about what they are made of though - I've seen some fencers who definitely prefer function over form! I can personally attest that Uhlmann socks don't deflect an epee point even a teeny bit.
:grin:

gbm
-7th January 2006, 18:54
They have to go above the knee, and according to the rules have some means of keeping them up (since suspenders are not in fashion, I assume the elastic cuff at the top is usually considered to be sufficient!).
Conversely, breeches must go below the knee.

Gav
-7th January 2006, 21:48
Originally posted by BRITTANY
are socks compulsary for comps?? when using breeches?

Yes.

Farrago
-8th January 2006, 09:35
As far as I'm aware, you can wear football socks instead of fencing socks. Personally though I wear fencing socks as they provide more protection. Fencing socks also soak up the blood from shin hits better.

Rdb811
-8th January 2006, 20:39
I use basketball socks some of time (2 pair for £6 from Decathalon) - I think Nike do them for £6 - well padded but probably not long enough if you have very long shins.

Lee Spiers
-8th January 2006, 20:43
ive gone for some addidas socks.......hope there good!

Pointless
-8th January 2006, 20:55
I'm using football socks. Fencing socks really look awfully thin to me!

Lee Spiers
-8th January 2006, 20:56
ive never been hit on the shin anyway!:grin:

madfencer
-9th January 2006, 12:29
Leon Paul's fencing socks are IMO the best (thats not because i'm a suck up to LP kit ;) ...really). They are so well padded...useful when i'm trying to learn to fence decently in epee for the BYC's epee comp and i've only been learning since this summer! ;)

I used to wear my dads old fencing socks as I was skint...but they soon preished when I first picked up and epee...ended up with a hole in one...then I pulled the sock up and it practically tore on two! :dizzy: not good! (so I invested in some LP ones and a damn good choice they were too :) )

nessyfencer
-9th January 2006, 13:46
Originally posted by madfencer

I used to wear my dads old fencing socks as I was skint...but they soon preished when I first picked up and epee...ended up with a hole in one...then I pulled the sock up and it practically tore on two!

Eh? :confused:

madfencer
-9th January 2006, 13:59
sorry god knows how many typos were in that...still you should have managed to work it out!

'I used to wear my dads old fencing socks as I was skint...but they soon perished when I first picked up an epee...ended up with a hole in one...then I pulled the sock up and it practically tore in two!'

Simple. :) ...basically the socks became useless and I was scared to use his other pair for the same reason so I invested in an LP pair. :)

Hows that now?

Russell1985
-16th January 2006, 23:43
Made sense to me. Anyone kno if there're any restriction on putting logo etc on socks?

Ta

Lee Spiers
-20th January 2006, 11:57
there is not, ive just spent 2 days on a ref's course studying the rulez you can have anything on them - apart from the obvious offensiveness ect.

gbm
-20th January 2006, 12:06
The manufacturer can put a mark on it of up to 4.5x2cm.
Anything above this, or anything other than the manufacturers mark, is advertising.
"All advertisements for alcoholic drinks, tobacco and any others against the sporting ethos are forbidden."

"If a federation and/or a fencer have signed a sponsorship contract with a commercial or other company, the logo of that sponsorship partner, maximum 75 cm² in size, may be affixed at the top of the sleeve of the non-sword arm of the fencing jacket, on the side of the breeches (left or right) or on the socks. At sabre a logo may not be worn on the sleeve.

A fencer may not display more than four such logos (which may be identical). The total suface area of all these logos added together must not exceed 300 cm²."

If you are not fencing at an international level, you can probably put whatever you damn well like on them ;)

sorcerer
-22nd January 2006, 00:27
I have a pair of fencing socks and I bought last week a pair of ski socks, and It worked, not sure if they're abailable for using them in the championships, but for the club they¡re completely fine